Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

cooters T bucket build

So, what, a 292? Then it needs more. More rear gear, more compression, more cam (30/30 solid), more cyl head (camel humps 2.02), and a Holley 3310.

Old school.

John

So, what, a 292? Then it needs more. More rear gear, more compression, more cam (30/30 solid), more cyl head (camel humps 2.02), and a Holley 3310.

Old school.

John
2.02 camel humps don't work good on small bore because cyl. Shrouds the valve.. I'm running power pack pyramid heads with small valves, edelbrock performer intake with quadrajet. I'm running over 130 mph now.. Last pull I shifted in to high at 6,000rpm... I got all the power I need.. Widow maker...

Love the 283, I have the 283 with power pack heads as well, they are great for compression but don't flow great.
However they are the cats ass on a 283 and can be worked out to flow decent enough.
I think they can be worked with 194, 150 valves as well.
I am planning the 3030 duntov solid cam for it though.
My last 283 was a screamer I had the 151 cam in it and it seen 7000 RPM on more than 1 occasion, and it got their in a hartbeat.

Love the 283, I have the 283 with power pack heads as well, they are great for compression but don't flow great.
However they are the cats ass on a 283 and can be worked out to flow decent enough.
I think they can be worked with 194, 150 valves as well.
I am planning the 3030 duntov solid cam for it though.
My last 283 was a screamer I had the 151 cam in it and it seen 7000 RPM on more than 1 occasion, and it got their in a hartbeat.
I don't know what cam is in engine but I know it's a screamer... I'm running 3795896 heads 1.72in. 1.5ex. 60cc chamber..

I have no idea what you two are talking about but, it sounds like you guys are happy. I'm old enough to know what a 283 is and what rpm stands for. Everything else is Greek to me.

2.02 camel humps don't work good on small bore because cyl. Shrouds the valve.. I'm running power pack pyramid heads with small valves, edelbrock performer intake with quadrajet. I'm running over 130 mph now.. Last pull I shifted in to high at 6,000rpm... I got all the power I need.. Widow maker...

130 mph?

IMG_20160626_162741884_zpsfradbjqn.jpg

I have the Canadian version 3884520 but I think you will find, at least I did with the last set I took to the machine shop they really spec out around 56-57 CC.
Should be running high test all the time to prevent detonation.

That 283 is bored to a 292. 3 15/16 bore. The Z28 302 had a 4" bore, that is a 1/16" bigger bore, so just .030 per side of bore. The stock Z28 came with 2.02 valves. The 302 I raced had 2.08 intakes in it. So yea a set of double hump heads would add to it, but for what they sell for now, you can buy a decent set of new aluminum heads.

That 283 is bored to a 292. 3 15/16 bore. The Z28 302 had a 4" bore, that is a 1/16" bigger bore, so just .030 per side of bore. The stock Z28 came with 2.02 valves. The 302 I raced had 2.08 intakes in it. So yea a set of double hump heads would add to it, but for what they sell for now, you can buy a decent set of new aluminum heads.
Thanks Ron.

I have done allot of research in this, and if you bore out to the 4" (some 283's can do) for a 301/302 you can go up to the camel humps or a set of aluminum aftermarkets with the 202 valves.
But a 283 with only a small bore the valve will hit the cylinder wall with a medium sized cam like the 30 30. at 485 lift.
You might be ok with the 151 cam, its under the 450 lift threshold.
Also if you want to go with a bigger flowing head you have to get the CC's down to 60 to keep the compression up witch in a camel hump means allot of machine work.
Love the 301, that's my plan B if I can get a set of pistons that don't cost me limbs.

Smokey is my idol, he could make 450 HP out of a 283 bored to a 301 and wrote about it in a late 60's Hot Rod magazine 4 page article.
Sounded like he may have had a few drinks because he tended to repeat himself but still a good read.

I think its the perfect engine for a bucket.
People say its low on torque and it doesn't make any power bla..bla.
Ok that may be true for your 10 ton boat of a 1960's car, but put it a 1800 LB road legal rail car where you don't need the torque of a 454, piston speed is king and look out for shifts at 7500 RPM .. lol
I have seen them rev up and down so fast that a regular of the shelf tach can't keep up.

Ah... humm ... well geez ... is this in the T ? I mean really ... didn't take you long ... that fast ...

DOES MOMMA KNOW 'BOUT THIS ?????

Cooter .....

And yes sixty five FI heads will work. Out of youthful inexperience I went out and bought a set from the local Chevrolet dealer ship, kept them under my bed until I saved up for the rest of the motor (265 out to 283) didn't check piston to cylinder wall clearance, biggest Erson flat tappet cam they said would fit, put it together and a week later off to Texas for a year. Ran like a top. Did I mention it was the 265 block without an oil filter adapter. And yes I changed the oil kinda regularly. Kinda.

Ahhhhhh ...... youth, indestructible.

Too much science, not enough cam.

John

I'm running a 1958 block... With Oil filter adapter... It's all the power I need... Like a say, if I can put around at 55 all day long I'm good...I'll tell ya this there ain't no corvair 4 carb GT that wants any... And a hellcat is nothing but a pussycat....ever get tunnel vision in a car...

Did you try to correct the "death wobble"?

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back