Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Covid Project - 80's Project T-Rod

You did a good job - don't apologize! I like your pinstripe idea. Maybe a contrasting color like green or blue pinstriping would make the flames pop visually and distract your eyes from slight imperfections. I like the look.

Flames.jpg

If you have a steady hand, a pin striping brush... or you could re mask in spots and touch up. Maybe a airbrush. Remember, we are usually our own worse critics... perfection is a myth!

Over the weekend, I spent some more time on the windshield. I was able to "round" out the bottom section to properly fit it to the main frame. I ended up drilling and countersinking the holes on both sides to join the two pieces together. For the window template, I picked up a piece of discarded cardboard from Sam's Club and traced out the cut...ended up fitting really nice and it's pretty solid. I found a glass shop to cut a piece of 3/16" or 1/4" laminated glass for $140. I'll take it to the glass shop sometime this week. Eventually, I'll get around to sanding the entire windshield frame and then apply a clearcoat finish to protect it. I keep having to remind myself...one step at a time.

IMG_5825.jpg

IMG_5834.jpg

IMG_5830.jpg

IMG_5833.jpg

Thanks for the advise on the blue pin-striping. I ended up using an airbrush for touchups and added the blue pin-striping. It adds a nice contrast. I still have a little touch up to do on the red (around door hinges). Once that's completed and the windshield frame is ready, I'll apply clear coat over the pin-striping and over the windshield frame (protect from oxidation).

IMG_5836.jpg

IMG_5837.jpg

IMG_5838.jpg

IMG_5839.jpg

I thought I would provide an update on the paint and windshield. I discovered the 3M tape does not like urethane paint sprayed on it. I did a light coat and waited for it to flash. I noticed the edges started lifting on the bends...even on the straight sections. So, I tried to gently press it back down to get it to lay flat with my fingers...and it did for the most part. I applied a second coat...and discovered it wasn't working...it lifted even more. I got pissed and just pulled all of the blue pinstriping off and wet sanded the buildup from the clear. I purchased an Xcaliber brush and now my plan is to "try" and manually pinstripe the blue line this weekend...wish me luck.

For the windshield, I got my $140 laminated glass from the local glass shop last week. I used black vinyl tape to outline the glass and slid it into place. Everything was going smoothly. I slowly started tightening the bottom section to the main frame and just as it was about to be secure, I heard the slight bump sound...and saw the crack...oh bummer! Now, my next plan is to just use a piece of 1/4" Lexan with UV treatment on both sides ($59). The laminated glass is way to sensitive and touchy for my taste...if it pops that easily, I can only imagine what it would do under vibration and with wind hitting it at a reasonable speed. I guess I can at least say that I gave it a try.

IMG_5984.jpg

IMG_5983.jpg

Last edited:
Bummer! You think the glass shop will have pity on you and cut you another piece at a discount? Maybe they can mount it also. They did mine using black goo in the groove (probably silicone). Worth a try . . . o_O

There was a dicussion on this forum a few years back regarding glass for a T. Might even have been Ted (RIP). Advice was to use toughened as laminated is proned to cracking. Just a good 'bump' in the road seems enough to break a laminated screen as its just glass sheets with some plastic between them. Toughened, however, is strong and crack resistant... untill its hit with something; remember sreeens going into a million pieces when they did fail. I may be wrong but todays side windows in cars are still toughened.

It just means that its cut to size and then has to be sent off to be (heat) treated.
Just my 10c
G

I don’t think tempered glass is legal for windshields. Glass can not be put in a bind or it will crack. Some kind of cushion is required. My advice would have a glass shop install the glass. They know how much space is needed and the proper material to use.

My advice would have a glass shop install the glass. They know how much space is needed and the proper material to use.
Also, if they break it during installation.......................

I ran glass for years and then changed to 1/4" Lexan with the MR10 anti scratch coating. Much lighter, and the Nascar boys use it, so you know it is tough. I found a guy on eBay who cut it to my spec for $50. Also went from a 11" windshield to a 14". Keeps the bugs out of my teeth..

2 windshields.JPG

Last edited:
I've used Plexiglass for about 4 years now with no frame, but it's 3/4" thick. And 19" high.

FP01_WindshieldPost_6119.jpg

It's now 16" high and has winglets.

FP10_WindshieldWithWinglets_01968.jpg

Last edited:
Potvin - Where do you source the 1/4" Lexan with the MR10 anti scratch coating?

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back