Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

disc brakes for wire rims

wayneo856

i just bought a set of disc off speedway fir my wire wheels. is there any other kits out there .this car is light with a 350 engine.
its goes no problem but getting it to stop is horrific. is there a kit or different hangers to put bigger dual piston calipers on these? dam harleys or a 100 other bikes use bigger brakes then this . .didn't they realilize you could kill someone or yourself if you cant stop...

if you have single piston floating calipers they need to be set up correctly which is not the same as dual piston calipers. I'm assuming these are on the front only. I have single piston calipers on 2 T-buckets with motorcycle tires and to be honest I simply rely on the rear drums to stop the car. If the front brakes help then all the better, but with the 2" X 2" contact patch of each of the front tires I can't expect too much stopping power anyway.

Wire wheels? What make/model? I had Hallcrafts and added disc brakes. Started snapping spokes. Had a cycle shop put all new spokes on and tighten them. Still kept snapping spokes. Think their not made for cars.

I know people dig the '70's look of skinny wire wheels and fat rear tires on a T-bucket, but the reality is you're better off with more rubber on the ground in the front, as 409T says. To me, something like the ET Gasser spoke wheels still give a cool look and allow for rubber with a larger contact patch.

Attachments

• Big Mac T.jpg
    Big Mac T.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 10
  • Bucket with pipes.jpg
    Bucket with pipes.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 10
if you have single piston floating calipers they need to be set up correctly which is not the same as dual piston calipers. I'm assuming these are on the front only. I have single piston calipers on 2 T-buckets with motorcycle tires and to be honest I simply rely on the rear drums to stop the car. If the front brakes help then all the better, but with the 2" X 2" contact patch of each of the front tires I can't expect too much stopping power anyway.
I think front brakes with skinny wheels are more for control than actual stopping power. That was my thoughts when adding them to mine. I would suggest focusing on better rear brakes and proper bias.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back