Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

GM distributor

Buster

can a ignition modual get hot and shut engine down? mine shut down, lucky I was comming in yard at time. It acked like it was firing on all cylinders at one time, by the time I got to checking wiring and electrical connections engine cranked back up. tried cranking back up several times and no problems. All wiring is tight no loose connections, distributor is hard wired to switch to get direct 14.2 volts. Also can ignition switch cause this? HELP

Yes an ign module can cause this. Is there some white grease under the module? This acts as an insulator and helps keep the module cool. In my experience ign modules are the biggest problem with gm distributors. If the problem is in the switch it would be something loose or worn,but my guess is the module.

thanks. Checked everything out today found loose ground wire on coil but was still making connection. Took module out and found very small amount of grease under it. I noticed when car shut down a weird smell like burnt plastic was inside car after taking module out it smelled just like burn plastic. Will replace module tomorrow with new one and see what happens.

Loose coil ground will make coil primary develop back EMF and roast the freewheel diode in the module. Every time.

As Francis and Mango said, the pickup and the coil are usually the problems in the HEI's. As Mango said, the ground will cause 14 diff. kinds of distributor Hell. Hei's are fairly simple to troubleshoot and repair, as you've been given 2 of the most common problems.

The grease under the pickup, gap too wide on the star, coil ground problems, plug where it connects to the cap, coil burning out. And last but not least, the dist. endplay causing the shaft/rotor to ride up and screwing things up in general. They are fairly troublefree, and I've seen them run until the bushings get so wore out, that the star starts rubbing on the pickup.

Thanks, found the problem just as you descibed burnt wiring at cap plug wiring, replaced coil, modual, and wire ends in cap. I took distrubutor from box and installed in engine, and did not check this out before installation. Stupid me, bet that won't happen again. However I did check end play for distributor and that is correct. I replaced modual frist and cranked engine back up, however tach was not working so I thought wire was just loose. I pushed wire plugs tighter in cap and engine shut down again. This time I took coil completely out found prongs on coil burnt where connection is made in cap. This was caused by not checking all wiring reguardless if product is new or not. Lesson learned well with this little deal. Thaks fellas for the help. Buster

Loose connections burn off because the Resistance causes heat. Sometimes the hard way is a good way to learn, it embeds the lesson. Next time you do a tune up you will be right onto it from the get go.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back