Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Jag rear ends - worth pulling?

benT

So I was wandering the Indy Pull-A-Part today looking for some wheel/tires for a project. I didn't find what I was looking for :( , but it was a super nice day, so I perused the import sections as I've been keeping my eye out for a small clean E-brake handle. In this section, I was surprised to find not one, but 4 early-mid 80's XJ jags with complete rear ends (one even had the V12 in it complete!). To be honest, I've never considered a Jag rear for any of out builds--I've always been a solid axle guy. The thought of pulling one of these kinda intrigues me. I genuinely thought these were more difficult to find...I think the price if you pull it is about $150 with the core and environmental fee. Is one or more of these worth yanking for future use? I don't to spend $150 on an axle and then end up shelling out a ridiculous amount to get it into drivable shape. Honestly, do you guys like them for the "cool factor" only, or do they really ride and handle well?

I have never used one , But in my research 1965-76 are the one's to use.

Maybe but the 2.88 gears for the v12 are a bit much unless you are running tiny tires.

After hunting up here for one for two weeks. Grab everyone of them you can and stash them away. They go anywhere from $300 - $1000 up here for a complete setup.

you can use the dana 44 crown wheel and pinions in them , with the correct bearinsg, so plenty of ratio choice, the power locs are the ones to use, but pack the clutches differeently for the lighter rear end

No matter what anyone says there is NOTHING that can beat a Jag IRS on the butt end of a rod.
In my experience you could have a gold plated live axle and a Jag would always get more attention.
Question is... do you have the commitment to go the Jag way cause all I see on the forums is, how expensive and troublesome they are. Best times Ive had are with troublesome people.
Make you own mind up, but there is only one IRS for a rod and thats JAG

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back