Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Low Slung T

I've heard they will make you show receipts on what you bought to prove you paid taxes.
That is a fact, I have a build binder going that I have those plastic document sleeves in. When the time comes I will just photo copy them and attach to application. I also plan to print "during" the build pics so I have a coffee table book of sorts to reminisce my aggravation lol. Also I believe the State po po will verify your engine & tranny serial #s to make sure they ain't hot. If you don't have a receipt for them be prepared to explain where they came from. They may be ok with if you had them for several years, not sure. I have been reading the crap out of every post I see on forums relating to PA titles, and any negative experiences. Not sure if you saw this, not from here but a checklist of sorts

Attachments

• Regulations-for-Street-Rod.pdf
    771.3 KB · Views: 23
Should be interesting. My engine is out of a car I still own. The trans is a junk yard find with no receipt. Hope I don't run into problems.

In Okieland all I ever had to show was an itemized list of what I used to build with, along with a price. Frame showed as home built. I had engine and trans numbers. I did have to show speedometer with odometer on the list. I always made a speed sheet with all the info on it. Takes about 30 minutes to get paper work for title once they wait on you. Done this on several car builds, and lots of motorcycle builds. Sometimes I think its to easy, almost scary.

Should be interesting. My engine is out of a car I still own. The trans is a junk yard find with no receipt. Hope I don't run into problems.
I got a 5.3 LS motor out of a truck, purchased a new block from Summit, good luck tracing this engine :sneaky:

In Okieland all I ever had to show was an itemized list of what I used to build with, along with a price. Frame showed as home built. I had engine and trans numbers. I did have to show speedometer with odometer on the list. I always made a speed sheet with all the info on it. Takes about 30 minutes to get paper work for title once they wait on you. Done this on several car builds, and lots of motorcycle builds. Sometimes I think its to easy, almost scary.
OK is OK lol, PA sucks to build a rod.......I was in Enid once for a few weeks when I was active duty (actually got some good Chinese food there, who'da thunk in the middle of nowhere), anywhere near there? My bro lived in Shawnee for a while

I'm in PA also, near as I can tell from all my reading of PA inspection laws & questions, if you run a string diagonally from the bottom of the rear wheel to the bottom of the opposite front wheel and same for other side that is your scrub line. It's all about if you get a flat theoretically the wheel will stop anything from scrubbing. PA SUCKS lol
Perhaps this copy from the NSRA Safety Inspection Rules will help explain "scrub line".

Jim

Oh, and you need a windshield wiper & defroster to pass inspection
Here are some pictures of the wiper that I used to pass the NSRA SAFETY INSPECTION. It involves a simple clip on bracket and a plug for the lighter.

I hope that this helps you get by the Pa. regs.

Jim

Perhaps this copy from the NSRA Safety Inspection Rules will help explain "scrub line".

Jim
Thanks Jim, I was going off the noggin when I explained. It is in fact wheel to road surface, not wheel to wheel. Your pics do reflect PA law:

(c) Scrub line. A vehicle specified under this subchapter shall meet the minimum scrub line requirements. See Chart 5 (relating to scrub line).

(1) A scrub line is an imaginary surface created if lines were drawn from the bottom of the wheel rim on one side to the bottom of the tire on the other side. When lines are drawn from both sides, an ‘‘X’’ under the vehicle suspension is created. A suspension or chassis component may not be below the top portion of this imaginary ‘‘X.’’

(2) Only exhaust systems and sheet metal may extend below the scrub line.

i dont have a defroster, but i have a hand worked wiper, it passed

Attachments

• 20160729_203524.jpg
    20160729_203524.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 21
The front to back scrub line is what had me confused. The PA rules do not really spell that out. With a racked car, the scrub line between the front two wheels and the back two would be different. I was wondering if they just go by the lowest or how they figure that. If I have issues I plan to lift my suspension up to its full height and try again.
I will source the clip on wiper and defroster when the time comes. Thanks for the input guys.

I think the goal is to have nothing hit the ground if all 4 tires are flat. Stance will have no effect in that case.

I've heard they will make you show receipts on what you bought to prove you paid taxes.

When I started my project I tried to find out what the KY regs are. After 3 trips to the local DMV, and several hours online and on the phone over probably a half dozen occasions, the only consistent info I've gotten is saving receipts is a must. On the last phone call I was told that the only physical inspection is to check the engine VIN.

On the receipt front, I'm hoping that printed images of online receipts is acceptable. So far, about the only non-online purchase is the rear end from a local wrecking yard.

The problem with most online purchases is that they do not charge tax. That's all great...until you have to prove you paid taxes...

The problem with most online purchases is that they do not charge tax. That's all great...until you have to prove you paid taxes...

Hmmmm...I'd not considered that tax angle. I've been assuming that they were concerned about establishing a value of the vehicle for the yearly tax that is collected when you get tags for the year.

In some states , any purchaces made out of state that does not have a reciprocal [sp.]agreement , you will be taxed on those purchases at the time of registration

Zandoz - no yearly tax on vehicles in PA. Just the upfront taxes at the time of purchase or in this case, at the time of titling. Annual registration for a car is thirty some dollars, eighty something for a truck. I have no idea what it is for street rod. Shouldn't be much.

In some states , any purchaces made out of state that does not have a reciprocal [sp.]agreement , you will be taxed on those purchases at the time of registration

Zandoz - no yearly tax on vehicles in PA. Just the upfront taxes at the time of purchase or in this case, at the time of titling. Annual registration for a car is thirty some dollars, eighty something for a truck. I have no idea what it is for street rod. Shouldn't be much.

Now once again I'm worried (I'm a chronic worrier:unsure:). I had not thought about the potential for a big ticket tax bill at registration. On my budget that could be a big issue.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back