Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Low Slung T

Can I ask why you've mounted the engine so high in the chassis?

Jim

Last edited:
The pitman arm should be pointing straight down when the wheels are straight forward. You want the wheels to travel the same distance to the left and right.

Jim - ground clearance. With it sitting where it's at, I have about 5.5" from the oil pan to ground. I'd love to sit it lower, but I'm restricted because I'm trying to set the car so low to the ground.

Thanks for the info HenrysT.

That is about all the ground clearance under the pan on my car as well. There is a bucket running around here that only has about 3" clearance under the pitman arm. Scary to me. Could be left turn Clyde in a heartbeat.

I have 3" ground clearance on my Slam- Gard protected oil pan. I've had no problems but we have pretty good roads down here in Florida compared to the roads in North East Ohio where I used to live. Up there it is pot hole country and I don't miss it in the least. I came across this video a while back that just so happens to be taken exactly where I used to live, the Youngstown, Ohio area. There is some VERY strong adult language in it so be forewarned. DEFINITELY NOT FOR YOUNG EARS!

Dude Loses His Mind Over The Number Of Potholes In His Town

Jim

Jim - ground clearance. With it sitting where it's at, I have about 5.5" from the oil pan to ground. I'd love to sit it lower, but I'm restricted because I'm trying to set the car so low to the ground.

Thanks for the info HenrysT.

I thought some of your earlier pics look similar to what I'm seeing in my CAD program for the layout of what I hope to build. In my case the lowness is necessary because of mu mobility issues...I have to get the seat low enough than I can sit down on it without climbing. I'll be keeping an eye on your build. :thumbsup:

We aimed at a house brick clearance. If the brick was upright the theory is that it would be knocked over, so I have just over 3". Mind you I did put a 2mm thick bottom in my sump pan

sump base (1) [640x480] (2015_11_13 11_07_31 UTC).JPG

We aimed at a house brick clearance. If the brick was upright the theory is that it would be knocked over, so I have just over 3". Mind you I did put a 2mm thick bottom in my sump pan

View attachment 12329

On this side of the big puddle there is occasionally a Canadian show called Restoration Garage. Typically they feature big money restorations, but one episode the owner of the shop decided he wanted to build a Rat Rod from their scrap piles. He sent one of the fabricators to California to study the rat rod scene. Most of the stuff I did not care for, but one trick did pan out. The car was built with the frame sitting on a pieces of 4x4 with 2x4 nailed on top. When the car was done the 2x4s were removed, and you could just slide a 4x4 under the frame. A 4x4 is about 3-1/2" nominal tall.

You guys are making me want to drop my engine down. Where I live in western PA does not have roads quite like Eastern Ohio but my town does like speed bumps. When I take my kids to school in my Trans Am, I have to be very very careful in there parking lot or my exhaust will scrape. It is a stock height car with some bigger exhaust. I should measure it to see how high it is off the ground. I would also have to find a set of shorter rods for my engine mounts. The 6" ones I am using now, wont let it go any lower. That would be a big deal though.

This was before I got it to its ride height when it had weak springs in the rear. I would have loved to have it this way but the sump had 1/2" clearance only???

Exhaust april 09 (18) [640x480] (2015_11_13 11_07_31 UTC).JPG

You guys are making me want to drop my engine down. Where I live in western PA does not have roads quite like Eastern Ohio but my town does like speed bumps. When I take my kids to school in my Trans Am, I have to be very very careful in there parking lot or my exhaust will scrape. It is a stock height car with some bigger exhaust. I should measure it to see how high it is off the ground. I would also have to find a set of shorter rods for my engine mounts. The 6" ones I am using now, wont let it go any lower. That would be a big deal though.

From what I've seen of your work so far, I'd not be blowing things up for anything other than a safety issue. I find myself obsessing over 1/2" here or a 1/4" there, when truth be told 99% of the folks seeing the car are not going to notice the difference. You've done great work so far...build on that.

"I am targeting 4" ground clearance...
That's what I would up with, and so far, no problems. I DO watch out for speed bumps, though . . . !

Finally got back from a work trip to Wyoming and after some family time, I got some more work done.
Floor is cut out and ready to be made a permanent part of the body. Surprisingly, I actually got my wife in the garage to help me with this one!
IMG_0705_zpsejfjcm1z.jpg

I will be making a box to go around the kickups out of glass.
IMG_0706_zpsaotqkbti.jpg

Our Pup decided he wanted to go for a ride. He made vroom vroom noises...maybe it was just grunts as he wasn't really happy to be in there.
IMG_0707_zpscpfghnoa.jpg

Tomorrow I'm going to pick up some resin and catalyst. I have the glass, rollers, and brushes already.
Also got my steering wheel in. I should have some parts coming from RPM soon too. Brake Pedal assembly, throttle pedal and steering column.
IMG_0700_zpsrdusohq2.jpg

And who doesn't make good use of packing peanuts when you get them?
IMG_0697_zpsbcw4gwjy.jpg

Seems like a booby trap was in order for the day.
IMG_0698_zpsckuudwjo.jpg

I got my wife and 3 out of 4 of my kids...I may take it to work with me Monday. :whistling:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back