Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Mounting transmission crossmember

If you have a Harbor Freight near you, check with them. They have a flux-core welder for $98 that is almost identical to the first one you sent the link for above. One of the guys I race Electrathon cars with carries one in his truck and I have used it at the track for repairs. It welds pretty nice and may do what you need.:cool:

Thanks for the tip...I'll look into it.

This spring or summer at the local car shows strike up a conversation with one of the street rod or muscle car guys and I'd be willing to bet that considering your situation you could easily get someone to help you fit and weld up a frame. A lot of car guys are truly willing to help, all you have to do is ask. A couple pizzas and a six pack is a lot cheaper than a welder and you could use your money for parts rather than so-so quality tools that you may not be able to use in a few years. It's just something to think about. You never know, one of them might even give you a good deal on some parts they have laying around.

This spring or summer at the local car shows strike up a conversation with one of the street rod or muscle car guys and I'd be willing to bet that considering your situation you could easily get someone to help you fit and weld up a frame. A lot of car guys are truly willing to help, all you have to do is ask. A couple pizzas and a six pack is a lot cheaper than a welder and you could use your money for parts rather than so-so quality tools that you may not be able to use in a few years. It's just something to think about. You never know, one of them might even give you a good deal on some parts they have laying around.

The allocation of funds for tools vs parts is why I'm leaning towards a cheap welder...something capable of tack welds on 1/4" parts is all I'm likely need.

Ron Pope will be my suggestion. He is real easy to deal with for custom projects.

Ron has been my choice all along. Wife and I stopped by his shop back in the fall, and the outcome of that is why I've redone my plans to work with a shortened version of his standard plan. Once I have the funds, if he's willing, he has the job. My need for welding is in the bracketry, crush prevention tubes, etc..

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back