Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Mounting transmission crossmember

So far this site has been the factor that has made this whole project possible. I just hope that I'm not wearing out my welcome with all my questions. Thanks folks!

Bill...Asking and answering questions are what friends are for. Ask Away Friend!

George

Fletcherson, I'm glad to hear you recovered from your fall. I have a bit of a clue what you went through...for several months before they relieved the pressure on my spinal cord, I was gradually increasingly paralyzed. By the time they did the surgery, all I could do was move my head about a quarter turn, and use my right hand. It took close to a year, with a lot of therapy, to get back to some degree of functional ability.

Unfortunately I don't have room for a full size carport. We have a concrete parking pad about the width of a 2 car garage and about a car and a half long. to maintain parking space, about the biggest I can do is 16'x16'...and close to half of that will be off the existing pad. I've not really started looking at what is available here, but there are at least 3 or 4 Shed/Garage/Carport dealers within a couple miles of here...and I've seen a couple on ebay that I really like.

MeanGreen, no I'm not using a pre-fab kit...as far as I know there is no kit out there that comes close to what I want/need. Just about every thing about this thing will be weird...LOL. Back when I was a kid, going through my uncle's hot rod magazines, the car that clicked for me was...
View attachment 10802
So I'm going for a short wheelbase "bobtail" look. The body I have is stretched 8" and widened 3" over normal. My whole drivetrain, rear suspension, and steering are unconventional. Then to top it all off, as much as possible I'm trying to configure the whole package to be as friendly to my limitations as possible.

So far this site has been the factor that has made this whole project possible. I just hope that I'm not wearing out my welcome with all my questions. Thanks folks!
I was in a tortoise shell back brace for one year and my hands were held on with fourteen pins, a Hoffman device, and a static cast, and my elbow was in an extension brace. Therapy was a real treat, two years...I literally could not do anything for my self, it sucked! I hope to never be in a similar state again. Literally everything I was about changed on the day I was hurt. I essentially died from a functional viewpoint. I have since re established myself, but everything is different. Do everything possible to retain your mobility, no matter how limited you are. Don't take anyone's opinion as fact, make up your mind that you are going to beat it. Fight like your life depends on it, it does!

I was in a tortoise shell back brace for one year and my hands were held on with fourteen pins, a Hoffman device, and a static cast, and my elbow was in an extension brace. Therapy was a real treat, two years...I literally could not do anything for my self, it sucked! I hope to never be in a similar state again. Literally everything I was about changed on the day I was hurt. I essentially died from a functional viewpoint. I have since re established myself, but everything is different. Do everything possible to retain your mobility, no matter how limited you are. Don't take anyone's opinion as fact, make up your mind that you are going to beat it. Fight like your life depends on it, it does!

I hear ya...that is why I'm doing this. Other than family, it's what's keeping me going

Ed Roth's original Tweety Pie! I built that model kit about 50 years ago.:D The pic you posted is an early shot of it. Later it was a dark candy red and sported a lot more chrome including dual headlight pods. That car had a really short wheelbase, something like 88 inches! If you try to stay close to the original design, building it will be a challenge, particularly the rear suspension.:confused: I can't remember how Roth set it up, but there may be pictures available online. If we weren't 900 miles apart I'd give you some welding lessons and then watch (and help) this project come together. Meantime, I'll just have to be happy with pictures. As for wearing out your welcome - not gonna happen. I have all this learnin' and experience and I love passing it on. I'm a retired Industrial Arts and Automotive teacher...:rolleyes:

Carolina Carports has a website where you can see all their carports and buildings, see sizes available, check options, etc. If you see something you like you can then shop your local dealers for best price on similar products. They all have similar stuff, but different prices.:thumbsup:

Ed Roth's original Tweety Pie! I built that model kit about 50 years ago.:D The pic you posted is an early shot of it. Later it was a dark candy red and sported a lot more chrome including dual headlight pods. That car had a really short wheelbase, something like 88 inches! If you try to stay close to the original design, building it will be a challenge, particularly the rear suspension.:confused: I can't remember how Roth set it up, but there may be pictures available online. If we weren't 900 miles apart I'd give you some welding lessons and then watch (and help) this project come together. Meantime, I'll just have to be happy with pictures. As for wearing out your welcome - not gonna happen. I have all this learnin' and experience and I love passing it on. I'm a retired Industrial Arts and Automotive teacher...:rolleyes:

Yup, it's Tweedy Pie. Actually, it was built in the mid 50s by Bob Johnston. He sold it to Big Daddy in 62. The wheelbase is 84". My body is 8" longer than a stock T, so my target wheelbase is 92". Other than the general proportions, I'm aiming for a different look than Tweedy Pie...more of a T modified look. The rear suspension is going to be seriously off the wall...Granatelli Fox body Mustang control arms connecting a T-Bird Turbo Coupe locker disc brake axle, Pro mono-tube shocks, and air bags instead of springs. At least in my CAD program it all comes together, but it will be tight.
LGR.jpg

After I got off here I did some research online. The wheelbase is in fact 84 inches. That thing must have been squirrely under hard acceleration...o_O I was wrong about the color, too. It was always purple. The early model kits looked dark red; I guess they couldn't make plastic the right color back then. I also got a look at the rear suspension - it was an early Ford banjo rear with a transverse leaf spring mounted behind the axle.

Anyway, good luck with yours. I like your concept drawing; looking forward to seeing the real thing come together.:thumbsup:

I too have degenerative bone disease in my lower spine. Not yet in a wheel chair at 60, but looking forward to it before to long. I use a cane to get around now, but doing this T-bucket has really kept me moving more. I think it has been good for me mentally. I have to keep a chair to sit in while I work, because trying to bend at the waist is very painful. I feel like an idiot for thinking I had it rough. Hang in there Zandoz. Don't ever give up.

I too have degenerative bone disease in my lower spine. Not yet in a wheel chair at 60, but looking forward to it before to long. I use a cane to get around now, but doing this T-bucket has really kept me moving more. I think it has been good for me mentally. I have to keep a chair to sit in while I work, because trying to bend at the waist is very painful. I feel like an idiot for thinking I had it rough. Hang in there Zandoz. Don't ever give up.
Welcome to the club! It sucks getting old if you were a working man. I live with pain and limited mobility from a severe back injury, fusion, bulging disc, degeneration, so I feel you. The projects are what keep me in the sane ish department, lol. It just feels like a snails pace when I know what I used to be capable of, but what the hell, at least we are doing something... Right? It beets watching reruns of Matlock, most of the time, lol. Defidently do not cave in, just pace yourself and don't be unrealistic with your goals, so you don't get disappointed. When I was paralized, other than family, the thing that gave me the will to get through it was a totalled iroc z (don't laugh too hard, they were cool back then) project that I was in the middle of.

Welcome to the club! It sucks getting old if you were a working man. I live with pain and limited mobility from a severe back injury, fusion, bulging disc, degeneration, so I feel you. The projects are what keep me in the sane ish department, lol. It just feels like a snails pace when I know what I used to be capable of, but what the hell, at least we are doing something... Right? It beets watching reruns of Matlock, most of the time, lol. Defidently do not cave in, just pace yourself and don't be unrealistic with your goals, so you don't get disappointed. When I was paralized, other than family, the thing that gave me the will to get through it was a totalled iroc z (don't laugh too hard, they were cool back then) project that I was in the middle of.
Beats, not beets? Sorry!

Yes for sure. This project has really improved my outlook on life. I limit myself to about 2 hours of working at one time to keep from getting too painful. My stepson gave me something to help with the pain but it's illegal. Damn shame too, because it really did help. My doctor told me to take Oxycontin. I saw what that did to my wife while she had cancer. I'll put up with the pain rather than the addiction.

Yes for sure. This project has really improved my outlook on life. I limit myself to about 2 hours of working at one time to keep from getting too painful. My stepson gave me something to help with the pain but it's illegal. Damn shame too, because it really did help. My doctor told me to take Oxycontin. I saw what that did to my wife while she had cancer. I'll put up with the pain rather than the addiction.
That is a tight rope for sure. On one hand I am worthless and a basic SOB without meds due to the pain, but the meds take a toll on energy, attitude, etc. I actually quit taking everything for years, but time caught up with me and I had to find some relief. I tried additional surgery, therapy, all of the alternatives first. I find it to be a constant vigil to balance the need verses the habit, but I don't allow myself to get into a routine and limit it to necessity, most of the time. I never run out or share or any of that crap like a lot of people fall into, I refuse to allow myself to be enslaved by it, but I am by circumstance. We don't deal the cards, lol. I too have to limit my activity on the days that I feel better and productive or I pay the price the next several days. Just do what makes life worth living and the hell with everyone's view on it. They would be singing a different tune if the shoe was on the other foot. Finding a good pain management doctor is a real journey. I finally found one and it makes a big difference. Most of them treat you like a junkie or second class citizen. Hang in there! Keep posting the progress, you are going to have a cool car!

Welcome! I know this project is what has been keeping me going mentally the last few years. This summer I'm hoping to start on the actual doing, and it will be from my chairs. I guess we're both members of the Brotherhood of the Working Chair. You hang in there to, sir.

Years ago I watched a guy build a T in a driveway with no electric power close. He used cordless drills, a hacksaw and tack welded things with a torch. When he got so far he would rent a gas engine powered welder and use it for a couple of hrs. He also painted it with a brush and roller and it looked damn good. He had more determination than I ever had.If you want to there is probably a way. Best of luck .

Years ago I watched a guy build a T in a driveway with no electric power close. He used cordless drills, a hacksaw and tack welded things with a torch. When he got so far he would rent a gas engine powered welder and use it for a couple of hrs. He also painted it with a brush and roller and it looked damn good. He had more determination than I ever had.If you want to there is probably a way. Best of luck .

Well, I'm a bit better off than him...except for welding. I have the tools...band saw, cut-off saw, grinder, small drill press, etc.. I am going to get some kind of a small welder for tack welds, but I'll have to transport stuff to a welding shop or have someone come to my place, for the final welds. Thanks for the encouragement!

Zandoz, if I wasn't 900 miles away I'd come and give you some welding lessons. I spent about 2 solid hours with my son (several years ago) and had him welding good enough to build the frame for his '31 sedan. I did the steering related stuff, but he welded the frame and all the bracketry. Eight years on the road so far and he's only cracked one rear shock mount (caused by a frozen air-shock).:thumbsup:

As for a small welder, I advise that you get one you can continue to use and learn with. Lowe's and Home Depot both sell Lincoln welders. Take a look at those. The base model wire-feed welder is flux-core only. Step up one model and get the one that can be used as flux-core or MIG (gas shielded). Using that as the standard, pick a welder. You don't have to buy the Lincoln if you can get a better deal; I'm just using them as an example. You can get cheaper flux-core only welders, but some won't weld anything heavier than 1/16th inch material and they will become useless as your welding skills advance. Once you have a welder, maybe someone local can teach you the basics. Then it's just practice, practice, practice.;)

Zandoz, if I wasn't 900 miles away I'd come and give you some welding lessons. I spent about 2 solid hours with my son (several years ago) and had him welding good enough to build the frame for his '31 sedan. I did the steering related stuff, but he welded the frame and all the bracketry. Eight years on the road so far and he's only cracked one rear shock mount (caused by a frozen air-shock).:thumbsup:

As for a small welder, I advise that you get one you can continue to use and learn with. Lowe's and Home Depot both sell Lincoln welders. Take a look at those. The base model wire-feed welder is flux-core only. Step up one model and get the one that can be used as flux-core or MIG (gas shielded). Using that as the standard, pick a welder. You don't have to buy the Lincoln if you can get a better deal; I'm just using them as an example. You can get cheaper flux-core only welders, but some won't weld anything heavier than 1/16th inch material and they will become useless as your welding skills advance. Once you have a welder, maybe someone local can teach you the basics. Then it's just practice, practice, practice.;)
Practice is exactly right. Even experienced welders who don't do it often, lose the touch for a while. Sort of like the bicycle thing... Have you checked at the local vocational schools for adult Ed classes? When I was preparing to go to school after years of being out, after my accident. I went there and took computer classes so I wouldnt be a total idiot, and they were inexpensive and very worth while...

When it comes to getting a welder of course I'd love to go with one of the MIG/gas units, but I'm in a kind of "Damned if I do, and damned if I don't" situations.

First off, I really do not know how long I'll be physically able to make use of one at all. This whole project is a race with my diminishing physical abilities. Before starting this project, the main discussion with my wife was about the very good chance I'd not be able to finish it. I don't see my skills getting beyond tack welds and maybe doing non safety related welds before my abilities run out.

Then there is the other half of the equation...finances. I'm doing this project on the left overs of a VERY limited disability income...shared with doing disability mods on my Cougar, and building a trailer for my power chair. Sometimes it's months between project purchases. Yes, I could save a lot if I were able to weld, plus it would simplify things not having to design bracketry and such to be bolt-on...but money spent on a more capable welder would delay project purchases. <shrug>

Right now my thoughts are running towards a simple unit keeping to $200 or less. I know I'm not going to get anything great, but one should function for the tack welds and other light duty work. Here are a few I found looking around today

http://www.lowes.com/pd_425019-4712...1&facetInfo=1/4-in|3/16-in|MIG flux-cored|120

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201123790680?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Practice is exactly right. Even experienced welders who don't do it often, lose the touch for a while. Sort of like the bicycle thing... Have you checked at the local vocational schools for adult Ed classes? When I was preparing to go to school after years of being out, after my accident. I went there and took computer classes so I wouldnt be a total idiot, and they were inexpensive and very worth while...

Yeah, I checked out the local vocational school. Unfortunately they do not offer stand alone welding classes...they only offer the courses as part of long term certification and degree programs. It's too bad, because the school is only a little more than a mile away.

If you have a Harbor Freight near you, check with them. They have a flux-core welder for $98 that is almost identical to the first one you sent the link for above. One of the guys I race Electrathon cars with carries one in his truck and I have used it at the track for repairs. It welds pretty nice and may do what you need.:cool:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back