Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

My First T-Bucket Build

I have to go along with Keeper on his last paragraph. There is going to be a lot of stress applied close to the pedal. I doubt if it would ever break, but it will surely bend. You don't want to go back later and repair it, once you are on the road.
Lee

While I can't tell exactly what your pedal ratio is I'd guess it's not enough , manual brakes , you want 6:1 to 7:1 otherwise it'll require a lot of effort to get "whoa'd up" , & I third what Keeper said, you really need a redesign on the pedal mount..
dave

I agree, that pedal mount will surely bend. Be safe not sorry!

You can maybe move it down and go through the frame like my Spirit car. That would give you a straighter push on the MC with the pushrod too. That looks to be a bit too much angle IMO. You may have to lengthen the pedal though...

You can see it on the opposite side of the trans in this photo...

I'm just getting to that stage myself, but I'm planning on putting the pedal on the left side of the frame, and running a shaft through the frame through a piece of DOM with a bushing in it. Basicly going to cut a spring perch off and weld it into the frame so I can have a replaceable nylon bushing for the shaft to turn in. I want to move the pedal to the left to give me more room for the gas pedal.
Sort of like this only my master will be much closer.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 48
I'm sorry that I don't have some REALLY good pictures of my master cylinder mount but perhaps these few may give you some ideas.

Jim

Does the whole round part between the mount and pedal move? Even if it does you could make a horseshoe type bracket to go over it and weld the bracket to the frame as close to the pedal as possible to the frame.
Lee

Does the whole round part between the mount and pedal move? Even if it does you could make a horseshoe type bracket to go over it and weld the bracket to the frame as close to the pedal as possible to the frame.
Lee

Yeah I was thinking about something like that. I might end up going that route. And yes that part moves. It's welded to the pedal and will have a zerk fitting on it so you can put grease in it.

I'm back from a long break. I have done some work on the car. Been a bit busy getting married and stuff. Anyways, time for a very late update. I since have scrapped my brake assembly and trans crossmember. I created a new crossmember out of 2x2 square tubing and just welded it in. I didn't happen to take pictures of it, but I will post some soon. Going with a different crossmember design gave me a little more room for a brake assembly... Not much room but enough to make it work. I bought an assembly from RPM. When I recieved it, it ended up being too big of course and I had to adjust it. So I had to take it apart basically and shorten it. I hated doing that since it came assembled and welded... but it worked out ok and now it fits. I have a picture of the assembly out of the car. I have been really slacking with the pictures. Then I borrowed an idea from someone on this site (can't remember who) for a seat mount. I have two boat seats that I bought brand new very cheap and they should hold up to the elements very well. I built the frame for the seats with a tilt to it so you sit back comfortably in the seats. Again, no pictures of the mount. I know, I know... I at least have a picture of the seats mounted in the car. I will take pictures of everything when I disassemble later. This past weekend I was able to make some front shock mounts. I met a guy at my gym that happens to have a plasma cnc machine in his garage. So I quickly drew up some parts in AutoCAD and got him to cut them out for me. They came out good, I just needed to touch up a few parts and drill the holes clean. Definitely beats cutting everything out with a torch and grinding them down! Glad I have that connection now. So because of that I was able to finish the front shock mounts and although they aren't very traditional or everybody's taste, I happen to think they look awesome. Hopefully they work as good as I think they look. I got the shocks at a swap meet for $15. Remember this is a budget build. I can't afford $250 shocks. Anyways, I'm sure it's better than no shocks.
IMG_1299.jpg

IMG_1589.jpg

IMG_1863.jpg

IMG_1867.jpg

IMG_1870.jpg

IMG_1872.jpg

Just a thought. The seats seem to support the lower portion of the back but might leave a little to be desired in the upper back/shoulder area. Depends how far down you sit in the seat. Perhaps a horizontal bolster running above the seats to pad things out.

John

Just an observation, but it seems like you have over 2" or more yoke sticking out of the trans tails shaft. I always thought you wanted an inch max at ride height. How much of the spline is actually in the trans?

I had the same problem when I had to move my rear end back an inch. I ordered a longer yoke to solve the problem. No problems after 2 years have pasted.
Lee

It's about an inch and a half exposed. I want to say the shaft is about 2/3 of the way in if not more. The shaft is long. I'll take it off this weekend and take a picture. I didn't know until after I got the driveshaft cut and made that inside the shaft the spline is buggered up towards the bottom about an inch up. So if I try to push it all the way in then it stops about an inch short. I was unaware of that and I was told to slide the shaft all the way in and then back it out an inch and measure from there. So that's what I did. I took it to get cut and the guy thought it was weird that it didn't slide in all the way. Anyways he thought my measurement was a little short so he added a quarter of an inch to it and probably a good thing he did. When I came to pick it up he said to take a look down inside the shaft and you'll see why it wouldn't go in all the way. Sure enough the spline was boogered up a little down at the bottom. I didn't know the shaft was supposed to go all the way in. My mistake I guess. But I believe enough of the shaft is in there. I'll take some pics this weekend and see what you guys think. The rear supsension is very stiff so I don't think there will be much travel.

So your "guy" , knowing hat the yoke was messed up , went ahead & made the shaft based on the messed up yoke ??think I,d want to have a talk with that guy . dave

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back