Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

My First T-Bucket Build

Most local plastics suppliers (if you have one) have it in stock. I made my dash out of Lexan, for quite a bit less. So you might check around.
Lee

Cmcdanl, which seller on eBay did you use? What thickness?

Anyone, does 1/4" seem enough? I was thinking of 3/8".

If you are running a full frame around it, it will be ok. You could get a piece of 1/4 aluminum channel from a hardware store, such as ACE, and frame the top and bottom. Black RTV would hold it in place. I put a top frame on my glass windshield, just because I felt safer after seeing how much it bowed at speed. Lexan will bow also, but never break.
Lee

If you are running a full frame around it, it will be ok. You could get a piece of 1/4 aluminum channel from a hardware store, such as ACE, and frame the top and bottom. Black RTV would hold it in place. I put a top frame on my glass windshield, just because I felt safer after seeing how much it bowed at speed. Lexan will bow also, but never break.
Lee
I have a new CCR 14" frame and setting tape and was thinking of Lexan instead of glass. Right now I'm using the CCR 11" frame and it is a bit too low for my giant head.

Lee
This sounds like a good idea. Might even look ok too. I'll give it a shot and see.

Hey, I see gray tinted MR10 on eBay too. That might look very cool. Not sure about legality, but I'm a rebel 'cause he never ever does what he should (group and year?).

I finished the windshield! The first picture is just showing how I made the rounded corners. I cut the radius out of plywood first, clamped the plywood to the lexan, and then used a jig saw to cut it. Easy. The mount in the middle made a HUGE difference in stability and strength. It only flexes a tiny bit on the top if I push kind of hard on it. I actually mounted it to where I had to push the windshield forward in order to bolt it up to the middle mount. That way it creates a bow in the middle. You can see the bow in the picture taken from the side. I think that will give it more strength and better air flow. I personally love the way it came out.

Attachments

• IMG_2063.jpg
    IMG_2063.jpg
    377.5 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_2067.jpg
    IMG_2067.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_2068.jpg
    IMG_2068.jpg
    299.5 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_2069.jpg
    IMG_2069.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_2070.jpg
    IMG_2070.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_2071.jpg
    IMG_2071.jpg
    307.9 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_2073.jpg
    IMG_2073.jpg
    339.2 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_2074.jpg
    IMG_2074.jpg
    314.6 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_2075.jpg
    IMG_2075.jpg
    329.1 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_2077.jpg
    IMG_2077.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 171
If you can find some Liquid Glass car wax, put on several coats, buffing each between coats. It really protects Lexan pretty well. Bugs will come off easily also. Windshield looks good.
Lee

Just a quick update. I haven't had much time lately to work on the car. I got a few things done but nothing really picture worth. I got the floor glassed in, firewall glued in place, hole cut for the steering column, shortened my steering column, and started working on the break pedal/master cylinder mounting. I will post pics of the brake system when I get back in the garage this weekend. I'm running into a few issues with it, but I expect that since I'm fabricating it all.

Nice job. TV on one wall, stools on the other. Where is the cooler for refreshments? Keep the pics coming.

I got a few things done this weekend. Brake assembly is done, shifter is done, and steering column is done. The shifter is one thing I splurged on and bought. The brake assembly I had to make since the trans crossmember is in the way of one you would buy. But this way, the master cylinder is hidden under the drivers seat. I was planning on mounting the pivot for the pedal under the floor, but I just couldn't do it because again the crossmember was in the way. So I mounted it on top of the frame and had to cut a section out of the floor for it to fit. I plan on making some kind of cover to hide it. I made the firewall mount for the steering column out of 1/4" plate. Used a hole saw to cut a hole big enough for the pipe to slip into at the angle I needed and welded it up. Cut out a section at the top of the pipe and welded two 3/8 nuts on one side, and two more on the other side that were drilled through. That way you can slip a bolt through the nut that is drilled out and screw in to the other, clamping the pipe to the column. Here are some pictures...

Attachments

• IMG_2227.jpg
    IMG_2227.jpg
    354.5 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_2223.jpg
    IMG_2223.jpg
    366.3 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_2229.jpg
    IMG_2229.jpg
    373 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_2232.jpg
    IMG_2232.jpg
    380.9 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_2245.jpg
    IMG_2245.jpg
    297.8 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_2248.jpg
    IMG_2248.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_2249.jpg
    IMG_2249.jpg
    343.2 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_2250.jpg
    IMG_2250.jpg
    299.6 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_2253.jpg
    IMG_2253.jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_2254.jpg
    IMG_2254.jpg
    325.5 KB · Views: 101
That column mount looks familiar!

If you left the column itself long and have a collapsible shaft, you can make that steering column "telescopic". With my setup I can adjust it about 2 inches in/out. That allows it to fit me and the other half if she would ever drive the thing!

I would really think about reenforcing that brake pedal mount to the frame. Only looks like one tab and a through bolt? Hard to tell by the pics.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back