Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

My ProjecTee

Thanks for the insider information PotvinGuy. The tranny rebuilder is recommending a 2300 stall speed converter which is included in the original purchase of the 700r4 transmission. So , i'll give it a try.

My rebuilt 700r4 arrived yesterday.
And I thought you had decided on a 200-4R, but really I think you
probably have made the best decision for your application !

How are you going to lockup the torque converter ?

I lock up my 700R4 in 4th gear only. Mine has the ability to lock up in 2nd and 3rd as well, but I was told that it is not a good idea to downshift from 4th into a locked up 3rd, same with 3rd to 2nd so I wired it to lockup in overdrive only. I also tried running a bunch of different rear end gears, and because of the 700R4's .7 overdrive reduction I am now running a 4.46:1 rear end ratio. This probably wouldn't work for people who want to set new land speed records, but I rarely go above freeway speeds and don't want to be cruising around at low rpm's. I only know 2 other people with overdrive transmissions, and they both are running 4.11 rear gears. It takes a second or two for my converter to lock up after shifting into 4th. The rpm drop when the converter locks up is very obvious. It really shows how much the converter is slipping without lockup.

Is that a requirement on the 700 R4?
No, it's certainly not required. In fact it's probably cheaper for a non-lockup TC.

But like 409T I use the lockup torque converter and the fluid temps take a noticeable drop and gas mileage goes up. I have the 3rd member out right now and have discovered that I have a 3.88 ratio (thought it was a 3.70) and have gotten over 21 mpg at 70 mph on the highway.

Are you planning on molding them in permanent? Or keeping them removable.

I first have to make 2 hood side panels from fiberglass mat. Then i will place the louvered panels on the finished side panels, I'll draw around them & cut out that area of the side panels. Then i'll make a flat frame that will be glassed to the backside of the fiberglass side panels. I'll drill more holes in the aluminum louvered panels . I'll paint the louvered panels " flat black " . Then i'll use black aluminum pop rivets to attach the aluminum panels to the recessed spot on the fiberglass side panels. Both hood side panels will be removeable. The entire hood assembly will consist of 3 sections (1 hood top section & 2 side panel sections ). The 3 hood sections will be painted " plum crazy ". The Truck bed , body & track t nose will also be painted "plum crazy". The truck bed lid , removeable hardtop , the 4 fenders & the chassis will be "flat black ". I'm considering painting the rear end , driveline , transmission , firewall & engine " hot lime". Hope this helps to create a mental image.

Still working on the bear jaw door latch installation. It's a very slow process. I'm currently concentrating on the drivers side bear jaw door latch. The driver's door fits better then the passenger's door. So , i'm installing the bear jaw door latch on the best fitting door. I'm also learning from the driver's side latch installment.

I have the bear jaw latch working on the driver's door.. Cowabunga !! Now moving onward to the passenger's door. First , i need to make the passenger's door fit better. The big boy body was sold with a potentionally functioning passenger's door. The driver's side had only a door reveal on that side of the body. I purchased a door kit ( made for the passenger's side ) & modified it to fit the driver's side. I'm having problems with my seat insert from spirit cars ( was ordered a few months ago ). I've been. dealing with Josh Kamenski for a few months now. As of yesterday , a second person has entered the arena ( Shawn Mullen ) he wants a shipping address. I submitted a shipping address when i originally placed my order . I also sent the same shipping address to Josh Kamenski a few weeks ago ( in an email ).Now Shawn Mullen also wants a shipping address. I was told by Josh Kamenski ( a few weeks earlier ) that my seat insert was being shipped & i should be receiving it shortly. I was never given a tracking number. Now i've been instructed to call Shawn Mullen on his cell phone to give him a shipping address. That will make a third time for the same shipping address. This merry go round is making me very nauseous.

So far , the most difficult part of the seat insert installation is actually receiving the merchandise. So far the first shipment has mysteriously disappeared ( i was never given a tracking number by the unknown shipper ). Four times now , i've given 2 different people at spirit cars the same shipping address . I've received shipments from R.P.M at that address in the past. I hope Josh at spirit cars , can figure this mess out.

Last edited:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back