Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

My ProjecTee

I'm going to drill through the fiberglass & into the frame The fiberglass will be anchored to the frame ( 3/16" thick frame ). A good tip on the lock washer Choppinczech.

Maybe some threaded steel bosses welded into the frame?
bosses.jpeg

The company I worked for before retiring used a ton of those things in their production department. Both metric and english sizes. We, in the Engineering department, used a lot of them in prototyping. They mostly worked fine except when you had one that didn't grip right or spun. They were a pain in the neck to remove if you stripped it, cross threaded it or it spun. Sometimes even drilling it out was difficult if it began to spin. When they worked, they worked fine.

So , i should switch to steel RivNuts. They could be spot welded in place ( after first being compressed ).

Threaded steel bosses are easy to install. Just a chamfer around the boss and another in the frame. Hold it in place with a magnet. Spot weld, fill in the groove and grind flush. Strong and will never spin.

boss.jpg

The thing I hate about Riv-Nuts is the size of the hole you have to drill for the size of the thread
you need. I only have 1/8" wall and I usually drill and tap it for the thread I need. Obviously it
won't work for something heavily stressed, but I've mounted my trans cooler and fuel pump that
way without problem.

FP01_CoolerMountsToFrame_6167.jpg

I've used pop rivets ( blind rivets ) and RivNuts ( rivet nuts ) many times in the past. I haven't had any serious problems. I've also used threaded bosses ( weld on style ) without any problems. I'll probably use 4 RivNuts to mount my 2 horns. The hole size for a 1/4" x 20 RivNut is 25/64 ". I started with a 1/8" drill bit then graduated to a 1/4" drill bit then finally to a 25/64" drill bit. So , for 8 holes i drilled 24 times.

58078_W6.jpg I scored the right tool ( Doyle ) from harbor freight $ 49.99 + tax. It came with a nice carrying case & 4 s.a.e. mandrels. I installed the 8 RivNuts in my frame. Leroy's shop will be closed between 12-24 -2021 & 12-27 - 21. If i can get some nice weather during those 3 days , i'll work on my 2 rear fenders. All 8 RivNuts are installed in the frame.

Last edited:
Today i did some preliminary fiber glassing to strengthen the backside of the door wells & the backside of the door edges. It's the beginning stage of the bear jaws installation. I'm starting out on a new adventure. COWABUNGA !!

The fenders came from a Viper Venom motorcycle. They were the Viper's rear fenders. I placed them backwards on my rear tires. The driver's rear fender is already glassed in. I'm also going to begin the install of the bear jaws latches on my 2 doors. I made some angleglass which was needed for the bear jaw installation. I use angle iron for my form , i lay the fiberglass mat inside the angle iron. I used 2 layers of 2oz mat.

Last edited:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back