Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Rat Rod With 4cc

BodyCount

Hello everyone.

I`m started my T-bucket months ago and put a chevrolet/gm 4cc vintage engine. What you guys things about this? The rat hot need a V8? Or this is only a detail.

I really wanna put a V8, but to expensive for now.

Cheer!

EDIT: Rat Rot?!! OOOOOO where is my beer???? :suicide:

Start by dropping the word RAT from any talking,. Aim higher the junk,the word RAT means crap-O.
Some photos are always nice to see,many can help with ideas and things that may keep you from misstakes and wasted $

OK, Rat, these days no longer constitutes a piece of junk! Stripped down, lowered, no frills all black.....YES, junk.....no! I'm building my shop up right now, specializing in RatRods, mostly owned by racecar owners, business owners, quite a few guys that put the 'go' ahead of the chrome. The old Rats a falling by the waysides. The old 'Rats' would get you killed, and if its unsafe...I turn my back on it. I have a reputation.
I have on more than one occassion in the Ranks of the OFAA, have freshened up a 2500Horse KB Hemi, and painted everything flatblack except for the blower pulleys....

I just did a 4 cyl. ford in a bucket. 2.3 liter, small 3-71 hanging off the side, with 2- 28MM dual throat side drafts, and a get of headers. Find yourself a 75 Mustang II or a old Capri 2.3 turbo motor, build it, will perform good, not a whole lotta weight. If you put some work into it.....it'll look good.........

OK, Rat, these days no longer constitutes a piece of junk! Stripped down, lowered, no frills all black.....YES, junk.....no! I'm building my shop up right now, specializing in RatRods, mostly owned by racecar owners, business owners, quite a few guys that put the 'go' ahead of the chrome. The old Rats a falling by the waysides. The old 'Rats' would get you killed, and if its unsafe...I turn my back on it. I have a reputation.
I have on more than one occassion in the Ranks of the OFAA, have freshened up a 2500Horse KB Hemi, and painted everything flatblack except for the blower pulleys....

I just did a 4 cyl. ford in a bucket. 2.3 liter, small 3-71 hanging off the side, with 2- 28MM dual throat side drafts, and a get of headers. Find yourself a 75 Mustang II or a old Capri 2.3 turbo motor, build it, will perform good, not a whole lotta weight. If you put some work into it.....it'll look good.........
Rat is a bad word,was,is and always will be. Have fun,but try to shoot higher then building unfinshed looking stuff. Flat paint is primer............not a finish.

"The Bat" out of hell "Rat is a bad word,was,is and always will be. Have fun,but try to shoot higher then building unfinshed looking stuff. Flat paint is primer............not a finish."

Disagree, as politely as I can.

Some people think my hotrod is unfinished. I can assure you that I absolutely love my "unfinished" bucket - even when it was painted flat black with krylon rattle cans.

Just because you don't approve of flat paint or something that you would consider "unfinished" does not mean it isn't exactly what the owner/builder sees as their dream car.

I love show cars, but I can't afford anything like that. I love chrome but I can't afford that. I love those expensive slick paint jobs, but I can't afford that.

The twenty five dollar paint job on my hot rod was what I could afford to do back when I thought there wasn't a person in the world other than me that would drive a rusty hotrod. Boy was I wrong. A year after I rusted that thing, everyone started driving "patina'd" vehicles.

Some folks just love a "beater."

As long as it's safe, and the OWNER loves it, who are we to tell someone what they should or should not do with THEIR vehicle?

Again, don't misunderstand my words. I'm definitely not attempting to attack you or your point of view, just attempting to show another view - from the eyes of someone that owns an "unfinshed" hotrod -- and I might add that sometimes I don't like it when someone (usually the owner of a vehicle that has more $$ in paint than I have in my entire bucket) turns their nose up to me and proclaims my car just a "Rat Rod." I don't care much for pretentiousness, but I do like to talk to someone that makes comments like that. Sometimes, you can find mutual ground to agree this hobby has plenty of room for all kinds of things.

If everything was exactly the same it would be TERRIBLY boring.

2082207910_b78805c483.jpg

"If everything was exactly the same it would be TERRIBLY boring."

Sounds like the Duece roadster guys there! I like rats! They are a little different and as long as they are safe, I don't have a problem with them at all. In fact we did a rat show last weekend and doing another this weekend. They are great folks, just like T Bucket guys, just a little bit different car taste.

Go check out some of the rat forums and look at the detail and craftsmanship in some of those cars.

Check out some of the stuff from Slaughter House Customs. Look at the front of the frame, motor mounts, and the front bones. Lots of work and detail here. Here is their newest

The Jackal
[media]

As long as it's safe, and the OWNER loves it, who are we to tell someone what they should or should not do with THEIR vehicle?
And with that response that T-Odd gave right there....I have respect for that man!

RatRods are Safe, Good Quality cars that are build to look rough....One of my very first to roll out was a smallblock T.....the guy paid 1800 for the fella he knew to paint the fiberglass body so that it looked 'rusted' in places and the paint was wore thin. Motor had brand new internals, alum heads and block, painted flatblack,
Black chrome pulleys....black chromed 4-71 atop a 327. Powerglide. Hoosiers mounted on steel rims that were treated to look old.

Say anything you want, I love the look of RPM's car, its a show stopper! Would you want to drive that car down a long gravel road? I would Not! Its a work of art. Some of our members I would not want to drive because that look THAT GOOD! Some folks would rather ride than polish chrome.....Its all in what you want!
Thing is, I've built motors all my life that cost more than most folks houses.....I'm old and tired, I'm setting up my shop to build cars. Folks want chrome and all the flash, I'll put it on, but MY SHOP is geared for the rod that rolls all its life.

As far as the gentleman that can't afford a V-8, Get yourself a 6 cyl. motor, build yourself a 3x2 home-made intake and some headers, stick in a warm cam and ride till your hearts content! I apologize that some folks seem to want to push their 'wishs' off on one of our new members........

Sounds like the Duece roadster guys there! I like rats! They are a little different and as long as they are safe, I don't have a problem with them at all. In fact we did a rat show last weekend and doing another this weekend. They are great folks, just like T Bucket guys, just a little bit different car taste.

Go check out some of the rat forums and look at the detail and craftsmanship in some of those cars.

Check out some of the stuff from Slaughter House Customs. Look at the front of the frame, motor mounts, and the front bones. Lots of work and detail here. Here is their newest

The Jackal
[media]

Ron, Thats Cool as Hell!!!!!

OK, so I can't edit my post....I'll just play mumbly peg.

We Had a malfunction there Houston...........

Rat is a bad word,was,is and always will be. Have fun,but try to shoot higher then building unfinshed looking stuff. Flat paint is primer............not a finish.
I promise we'll be good should you decide to come over to KillBillet or the HAMB.....to look around.

OK, Rat, these days no longer constitutes a piece of junk!
Absolutely right! Look at the frame of the "rat rod" in the video. That's a hell of a lot beefier than the typical T-bucket frame.

By the way, nice video Ron.

Jeff

I'm not going to get into the rat debate because the original request was for opinions on engine choices and it's a dead horse. My thought is that if you want a V8, but can't afford it...save up for it. Sure, that 4 or 6 cyl may get you on the road sooner, but you'll always be wishing for a V8. I got mine from a salvage yard for $450. Went through it (kept stock) and moved on. She's got as much power as I'll ever need, since I don't race her. Don't settle for just anything, when you can have what you really want with a little more effort. Everytime you see or hear a nice V8, you'll kick yourself in the butt.

Your absolutely right Fred. I wanted a v6 and that,s what I stuck myself with (try and find street rod parts for a 4.3 v6). So unless you just have to have something different go with a v8.

If Gary can find this thread, he has an old pic of a bucket running a little four banger - and some eye candy hanging around. Had the image saved somewhere but can't locate it right now.

I dont know if a 4cc engine will move the car. Thats about the size of my model airplane engine. :yuk:

Seriously though. the right 4 cyl engine will work. Try a Cosworth 4 cyl race engine. Its 300cin and bolts right to a turbo 350 tran.

TC

The Jackal
[media]
Sorry Ron, but I have this thing about scrub lines.

"As long as it's safe" LOL. These cars of ours are never safe. Like 4 wheel motorcycles. I love 'um.

Hey guys!! Take Easy!!!

I just asked because for me, ride a Hot or a Rat, is like a life style and is easily find a car with a V8. But here in Brazil is so expansive to buy a good one. Because this, i buy an engine of chevrolet 4cc.

In the future, i really gonna buy a V8.

Thanks for the all opinions!!

Cheers!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back