Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the T-Bucket Forums discussions? Then sign up for a free forum account, today!

Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters                Spirit Industries                Southern Legacy Freight!               

Dismiss Notice
Thank you for visiting the T-Bucket Forums! This site was created in 2006, to provide enthusiasts with a place to discuss T-Buckets. Over the years, there have been many imitators, but this is the T-Bucket resource you have been looking to find. We encourage you to register a FREE account and join in on the discussions.

Spark plug wires

Discussion in 'Electrics' started by Spanky, Jul 25, 2020.

1. Spanky

Spanky
    Expand Collapse

I am running an Accel 52000 breakerless distributor in my bucket. I am also using Taylor solid core wires. I read recently that this is a big no-no with breakerless distributors, as it will fry the module in the distributor. Is that true??? Should I change to suppression type wires?

(This is me when it comes to electrics . . . )

Doofus.jpg

lincolnuT likes this.
  2. choppedtop

choppedtop
    Expand Collapse
    Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Retired
    I am iggernut on that part of electrics also along with spelling. I would like to know also.

Lee_in_KC likes this.
  3. old round fart

old round fart
    Expand Collapse

Retired
    How long has your combination been working? Solid core wires are real noisy for electrical components. Think static in am radios. I don’t think it would fry the electronics but to be safe I think I’d replace wires. They are cheaper than the distributer electronics.

lincolnuT likes this.
  4. Spanky

Spanky
    Expand Collapse

I've got more than 1,000 miles on this distributor. Plug wires are original since 2016. :unsure:

5. 409T

409T
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Retired
    If you're worried or just want/need to change wires, look at Taylor Spiro-Pro 8mm wires. I think spiral wound wires are the best for engines that are built for performance but not race only. If you have lots of compression/cylinder pressure bigger spark is needed, hence solid core wires, but for most of us, solid core is not necessary, and might even piss off the MSD box if you have one.

lincolnuT likes this.
  6. Spanky

Spanky
    Expand Collapse

I downloaded a sheet from ACCEL for the 52000 distributor and they said "Do NOT use solid metal core spark plug wires." I guess that settles it. Gotta git sum wahrs! :confused:
    Thanks you guys for all the comments. I'll get by with a little help from my friends! :D:thumbsup:

lincolnuT likes this.
  7. PotvinGuy

PotvinGuy
    Expand Collapse
    Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Quantum Mechanic (semi-retired)
    Resistor wires limit the current, which reduces RFI (radio frequency interference). RFI can make noise in your radio and can mess with electronics like fuel injection and ignition boxes. Resistor wires will also add lifetime to the coil and distributor and plugs. And new resistor wires are cheap and you can pick color and size. I like Taylor with molded plug connectors. Since I must compensate for my many insecurities I use their Thundervolt 10.4mm wires. But look at all the choices for 8mm: spiro-pro Treat yourself, Spanky, we only go around once!

8. fletcherson

fletcherson
    Expand Collapse

FYI, I recently converted a tractor to electronic ignition. The previous owner put new belden wires on it, I neglected to verify if they were solid or carbon core. Well, they were solid and it burnt the Hall effect sensor out in short order. After retracing everything and talking to Pertronix tech guys I learned of my mistake. They did NOT mention this in the installation or on line trouble shooting documents. Anyways, better safe than sorry.

9. Spanky

Spanky
    Expand Collapse

Again, thanks to you all for the advice and encouragement. I purchased some Taylor Spiro-Pro wires for the bucket. Looks like I'll be doing some cutting and crimping! :rolleyes::p

20200729_143146.jpg

rbsWELDER and lincolnuT like this.

Advertise with Us! Advertise with Us! Advertise with Us! White Rose Technology Ting Mobile Buy VPN

SSL Certificate