Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Torque Converter

bobs66440

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
What stall converter would you guys recommend for my stock 350/TH350/3.42 combo? Will stock work?

The flexplate I'm using is 14" dia. and has a 11.5" bolt circle (newer style externally balanced 350 with one-piece rear main seal) which I guess is unusual for use with a TH350. They usually use the 10.75" ones. I understand that TH400's normally have the 11.5" bolt circle, but they are also interchangeable for use with the TH350?

Thanks

What stall converter would you guys recommend for my stock 350/TH350/3.42 combo? Will stock work?

The flexplate I'm using is 14" dia. and has a 11.5" bolt circle (newer style externally balanced 350 with one-piece rear main seal) which I guess is unusual for use with a TH350. They usually use the 10.75" ones. I understand that TH400's normally have the 11.5" bolt circle, but they are also interchangeable for use with the TH350?

Thanks
Well another thing to take into consideration when doing a TC is vehicle weight. Engine torque and gears are usually first. Stock will probably cause some creeping, I would call out some of our guys....do a search for torque converters.
We have had some pretty intense discussions on the subject. Last thing you want is the T to be creeping at a relight or have to have both feet on the brake.
I'd say a 3000....a B&M holeshot, or get a rebuilt hi-quality vega rebuild, the vega units are are usually 32- 3800 rpms, usually lesser with a SBC....

Last edited:
Thanks. I did do a search on this forum after I posted this and the general consensus was around 3000. I also called TCI and spoke to a tech and he said around 2000 will work for it. That's quite a difference. The converter in my '55 Chevy is a 2500 and is completely wrong for the car as it has a built big block and a fairly radical cam. I may just order another converter for that and use the one from the Chevy in the bucket to save some money....

Thanks. I did do a search on this forum after I posted this and the general consensus was around 3000. I also called TCI and spoke to a tech and he said around 2000 will work for it. That's quite a difference. The converter in my '55 Chevy is a 2500 and is completely wrong for the car as it has a built big block and a fairly radical cam. I may just order another converter for that and use the one from the Chevy in the bucket to save some money....
Now that sounds like a great idea to me. I wouldn't think anything over 2500 with a stock motor is necessary. In fact 2500 is exactly what my local trans shop recommended to me. I'm just using the 350hp 60's factory corvette grind, so it may actually sound pretty stock. Used that cam in a lot of dirt track cars where it had to be "stock" to be legal. I'm running the Same gear as you and 29" tall rubber. You will definitely save some bucks going that route and fix your issues with the 55. Do it dude! :thumbsup:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back