Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Converter? For those with a 383 stroker and TH350 combo

Are they on the engine or on the shelf, cannot tell from your comment for sure?

Do you know how to check by rolling the rear tire one revolution and counting the driveshaft
revs? If it's a limited slip diff, that will make a difference in how you count.

Ok, then why are you idling at a 1000 rpm, should be around 600 to 750 rpm? I'm confused!

Why not call 3-4 TC companies and see what they say. Don't tell them anything about what
the others have recommended. Take an average of those 3-4 companies. Check out their
websites and see what questions they are going to ask. They usually have a form you can
fill out.

That might be worth a try, but about the 1st, (or maybe 2nd) thing they want to know is cam duration at .050", which he doesn't know.
The tech guys don't usually want to offer much advice if you can't tell them that.

Idling at 1000 in neutral is probably what it takes to keep it from stalling when it goes into gear, which if so, definitely indicates a higher stall is in order.

Try JW Racing. They have a from on line but it asks a lot of questions about everything from rear tyre diameter to cam duration to altitude (where you live), but it will give you an idea.

That might be worth a try, but about the 1st, (or maybe 2nd) thing they want to know is cam duration at .050", which he doesn't know.
The tech guys don't usually want to offer much advice if you can't tell them that.
What's he go to loose by asking? Or he could pull the valve covers and measure lift and duration @ .050.

When it comes to figuring out what stall converter is best I am at a total loss. I have the 383/TH350 combination with moderate rear end gearing using stock Lincoln Versailles gearing. It wants to stall at the stop light and idles nicely at about 1000 rpm in neutral. Air fuel mixture is set for best vacuum while in gear on the two 450 holley's. Timing is advanced about 12 deg. It currently cruises nicely at most speeds. Sputters just a bit at initial acceleration. As far as I can tell it now has the stock converter.
Does a 3000-3500 stall sound reasonable when I go to replace? It seems to be somewhat common for the T,s with this engine trans combo. The whole total weight thing seems to be throwing people I ask for suggestions. Thought I would ask the guys who have the light weight cars and have dealt with this before as internet searches return many different suggestions.
I'm running a 383, 480hp. I was told by blue print engines that even with the large cam that I would need no smaller than a 2400 stall. That's what I went with and the car idles great and it took nothing away from my shift kit.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back