Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Torque Converter Selection?

Oh....and the 334 strokers....

I'm ok with that rule keeps people honest as soon as i find my dyno sheet i will post it:)

Thanks for the info.
I have about settled on the 2600 stall in Speedway . since my cam has a range of 1200 to 5400. this engine is not that hot. It has TPI heads (double Captain Bars) although they are reworked with 2.02" valves. At 5400 max do I really need balloon plate at 5400?

Can you tell me how that converter from Speedway is treating you. I just ordered the 2200 to 2600 from Speedway for my bucket project with a slightly modified 350 SBC. I was looking at the 2700 to 3000 but after hearing a few remarks from the guys on here decided to go a little lower. Going for 1500 to 6500 RPM range on cam intake and carb. Thinking about some aluminum heads with 195cc runner and 64cc chamber, but haven't decided for sure on the heads.

Bucket man,
I ended up getting a Hughes GM25HD. Mainly because it had a hardened Sprag, I believe. It is doing the job, made a rubber burning machine out of it.
It still pulls pretty hard at a stop light at 750 rpm. I have come to believe the that is a product of disc brakes that are not power assisted.

Bucket man,
I ended up getting a Hughes GM25HD. Mainly because it had a hardened Sprag, I believe. It is doing the job, made a rubber burning machine out of it.
It still pulls pretty hard at a stop light at 750 rpm. I have come to believe the that is a product of disc brakes that are not power assisted.

Is that a 2500 stall? Should act about the same with the hardened sprag. Yours just wont blow up when mine does.

Bucket man,
Out of curiosity, why are you idling at 750? Does it still pull at say 625-650? Or are you talking about cold idle?

It seems happy at 750. I guess I need some quality time with my vacuum gauge as see I if I can get a little lower. It is 1000 in neutral hot/750 in gear.

Bucket man,

There is another sprag in the transmission that will be your next weakest link. If your transmission is n good shape, the intermediate clutch stock over run sprag outer race might explode. It's pretty easy to replace it with a hardened stress proof outer race. It's located right behind the pump. Your th350 should be good for around 450 HP with just that one upgrade. ;-)

It seems happy at 750. I guess I need some quality time with my vacuum gauge as see I if I can get a little lower. It is 1000 in neutral hot/750 in gear.
I personally like them much lower at idle. At 1000, it is engaging the converter and would explain the pulling. I am not familiar with your engine, but it should be able to idle at a lower rpm. What cam is in it? If it isn't real radical, look at timing and vacuum issues if it won't idle down. Jmo.

I have no idea what converter stall speed is. Just bought one for 302 with AOD that was rated higher than stock from local parts store. Does not pull hard at idle.

My cam is 229 Intake/230 Exhaust (@.050), lift is .486. I am running a 600 cfm Holley.
That sounds like a fairly mild cam. It should be able to idle low. If all is healthy, should just take some tuning. Maybe a re jet and or power valve if it is too lean or rich. I would aim to have it idle hot no load at around 650 and see how it acts. If it won't idle there, something is not quite right.

I just went out for a 30 mile ride and kept setting down the idle at stops. Got it at 650 - 675 hot in gear. Pull abut the same. I really thing I have just become accustomed to power disc brakes. I remember I had a 69 Barracuda with no power disc brakes and it took a lot of pedal effort.

I just went out for a 30 mile ride and kept setting down the idle at stops. Got it at 650 - 675 hot in gear. Pull abut the same. I really thing I have just become accustomed to power disc brakes. I remember I had a 69 Barracuda with no power disc brakes and it took a lot of pedal effort.
Could be, it is possible to get them to the point of not pulling to were they will require acceleration to engage, but it requires low no load idle. Idling in gear infers the engine is under load because the converter is beginning to engage. If it idled at 650 or so in neutral, it shouldn't pull when in gear, or very little. What stops it from idling low in neutral? I assume you have worked through the carb adjustments.

Could be, it is possible to get them to the point of not pulling to were they will require acceleration to engage, but it requires low no load idle. Idling in gear infers the engine is under load because the converter is beginning to engage. If it idled at 650 or so in neutral, it shouldn't pull when in gear, or very little. What stops it from idling low in neutral? I assume you have worked through the carb adjustments.
My interpretation is subject to my perception of the post, you have the benefit of feeling it. The light weight is a factor, but you should not have to fight to hold it at a light.

I don't have to "fight it" at a light. One other aspect is my size and the angle of my leg/foot on the brake pedal compared to say my truck. I am satisfied with the way it is working.
On a side note, Although I'm not an expert on the torque converter/stall speed I think it is at 2400 rpm on this car. Flash Stall. When you punch it , it jumps to 2400 and stays there till the car catches up.(nano seconds). best I can tell. I'm usually busy at this point with fishtailing and rubber burning.

I don't have to "fight it" at a light. One other aspect is my size and the angle of my leg/foot on the brake pedal compared to say my truck. I am satisfied with the way it is working.
On a side note, Although I'm not an expert on the torque converter/stall speed I think it is at 2400 rpm on this car. Flash Stall. When you punch it , it jumps to 2400 and stays there till the car catches up.(nano seconds). best I can tell. I'm usually busy at this point with fishtailing and rubber burning.
As long as it puts a smile on your face! I am too big for mine too, at least to be comfortable. If you are ok with it, it's good, but if you want to minimize it, the idle should help.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back