Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Transmission rebuild kit

The seals were all bad. Three out of four had split and couldn't have held back peanut butter. The frictions were all worn and a few were showing metal thru the friction material. The 2-3 accumulator spring was broke, and two of the forward piston return springs also. I am glad I didn't try to use it without rebuilding it. I don't think I would have gone far before it started pumping bits of metal. I believe when I'm done it will work and last a good while before it needs to be rebuilt again. I'm not going to throw the valve body in the dirt though it's good to know I could. lol
That sounds pretty typical for a well used, high mile unit. It likely would have worked ok until you put your foot in it. Sitting unused will also allow the seals to dry out and split. I have had transmissions that I know were good and stored for a while go bad when installed due to seal failure.

I was afraid of that. You think if I turn it over and let the fluid run thru to the clutches once a week it might help keep everything lubed?

I was afraid of that. You think if I turn it over and let the fluid run thru to the clutches once a week it might help keep everything lubed?
Short term, no problem. You shouldn't have to do anything, just keep it out of the weather(dry). It is usually after they have some heat cycles and time on them and then get dry docked for long periods that I have noticed it. You will be fine for a while. just keep them well lubed during assembly and they should retain it.

Not as difficult as I thought it would be. It only goes together one way. lol. Could have used a good th350 bushing driver. But a complete kit is like $300. I do have inside micrometer gages, so a few bushings that I didn't have the right size driver for, checked out in tolerance, but I did get the most important ones. I ended up with .017 end play on the input shaft. Have all new seals, red Alto frictions, new steels, thrust washers, Torrington bearings, and I ordered a new heat treated outer race for the intermediate over run clutch. Supposed to be the weakest link on the th350. It might be overkill for a pretty much stock engine, but I might not leave it stock. Also installed a B&M street shift kit. I don't think I needed HD with such a lite vehicle, and I doubt I'll be doing any towing.
Since I found so much wrong with this "running transmission" I'm thinking it might be a good idea to go ahead and tear the engine down and do a little inspection to see if it needs to be rebuilt.
The transmission will get me home, or anywhere else I might want to go, with out fail. As long as I don't rip off the pan on a speed bump. :p

You the MAN, Bucketman! Best Avatar I've ever seen. I LIVE by that and I hope you do too!!!! Confidence is a wonderful thing when navigating life in this old world we live in! JMHO

Not as difficult as I thought it would be. It only goes together one way. lol. Could have used a good th350 bushing driver. But a complete kit is like $300. I do have inside micrometer gages, so a few bushings that I didn't have the right size driver for, checked out in tolerance, but I did get the most important ones. I ended up with .017 end play on the input shaft. Have all new seals, red Alto frictions, new steels, thrust washers, Torrington bearings, and I ordered a new heat treated outer race for the intermediate over run clutch. Supposed to be the weakest link on the th350. It might be overkill for a pretty much stock engine, but I might not leave it stock. Also installed a B&M street shift kit. I don't think I needed HD with such a lite vehicle, and I doubt I'll be doing any towing.
Since I found so much wrong with this "running transmission" I'm thinking it might be a good idea to go ahead and tear the engine down and do a little inspection to see if it needs to be rebuilt.
The transmission will get me home, or anywhere else I might want to go, with out fail. As long as I don't rip off the pan on a speed bump. :p
Glad to hear it! If you open the engine and it needs something, it will be a good excuse to make it how you want it!

My wallet has already collapsed due to the vacuum inside. I have been looking at a set of aluminum heads. Thinking of 200cc runners and the 64cc chambers. Set up for .600 lift. After I inspect my block I will make a decision on that. I'm hoping it hasn't been bored yet. If it has I'm hoping it's only .020 over. That would leave another .020 to bore. I read that boring .060 over turns one out of ten blocks into scrap. That would probably be the block I have.
I won't find out until I get the new over run clutch race installed and the pump attached with gasket and all the bolts. Then I can take my handy dandy transmission holder off my engine stand and put the engine on it. Can't hardly wait, since I decided to do it.

Merry Christmas to all my gearhead friends. :)

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back