Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Where to exit the engine harness from the body

Gary49

There's not enough room under the dash for the ECN and fuse block for my LS motor so I will have to put it under the seat. Would you recommend running the harness along the junction of the floor and passenger side of the body and out through the firewall right over the frame, or through a hole in the floor under the seat and along the transmission tunnel up to the motor? That would need to be in PVC conduit or something similar I think. The harness is about 1 1/4" in diameter since there are a lot of sensors talking to the computer.
Thanks,
Gary

I recommend the floor on passenger side; too much going on around the transmission tunnel. :D

I second that. It would a bit easier to route, as well. Sounds like you're moving right along. Good luck!

How much heat is generated in that harness? I realize that it is low voltage and probably pulses at that, just don't run it in to small (tight) of a conduit, leave some room for air to circulate. I hate electrical problems!

Thanks Guys,
I don't know about the moving along part.:) I'm just trying to figure out a few things while I'm waiting on a few more parts. From what I've read, I'll probably go through the floor and run it along the inside of the frame through some good insulated clamps.

Thanks 2old2fast for the nod, but it's really Potvinguy. If I have drawing then
I'm good to go.

Well I was working from holes that were there from the previous wiring and didn't
want to drill more holes. But you will be able to decide exactly how you want it.

I have some wires on both sides going thru the frame to the headlights and starter.
Some going underneath the body and by the bell housing to the alternator and
electric fan.

I didn't want the headlights for both sides to go up one side, if I did that it meant
that the other headlight had to cross over around the radiator. If you try to hide the
wires in the radiator shell, it makes it difficult to remove the radiator.

Then going on the top side of the floor I have wires going to the console. Also several
run under the carpet on the driver side to the dash.

Yours should be much simpler, PotvinGuy and myself have alot going on in the wiring
department. I couldn't have done my wiring without PotVinGuy, he is really the master
wiring tech. I have to give credit where it is due.

FP01_WiringFinished_6314.jpg
FP18_Console&Connectors_6092.jpg

The automatic shifter is also mounted in the console, so it get real busy under there.

FP18_ConsoleConnectors_6095.jpg

I'm understand wiring. I am an automation manager programming PLCs, building and wiring control panels for pick and place robots and vision systems that I build but I really appreciate ideas on where to run the harness. It's kind of a different animal. It has wires for 8 separate fuel injectors, 9 sensors, fan relay, fuel pump relay, transmission control, 8 coils and a bunch of other stuff. The Painless Performance instructions call for a 1 5/8" hole for the grommet and I'd hate to put it somewhere and later on wish it was somewhere else.
I must say, your wiring is impressive. Thanks for sharing.
FX3.jpg This is a small controller I'm putting together out of spare parts for a small machine.

All mine exit right at the top of the trans tunnel, in between the two banks.All goes through a hole approx 2" x 1 1/2" and can barley be seen.

top of engine.JPG

Yes, I didn't see anyway to put it under the dash. Plus it would be hard to get to.
I agree. There's room for gauge wiring and maybe a relay or two under the dash and that's about it.
Man, there's so many things to think about when building one of these Ts. It seems as though the further along I go, the more things there are to figure out. But it sure is fun!!
Gary

It seems as though the further along I go, the more things there are to figure out. But it sure is fun!!
Yeap, the more you know, the more you realize the more you don't know. And the more questions you have!

You guys are giving me the big head. I tend to over-engineer things, but Indy and I also have more electrical stuff than most buckets. Here's the main panel mounted behind the seats:
PerkeyWlJXc_a2imVOhhV3GyuQHXZGLZ1m5jwzoNKvaXKaO3yR_Gya3sbAnA0UT7Vf9V4aSgG-m04R-SDym3DrmLyWrDbruvjk8-8EmZmto0ELOY6cF5q7utCevcmrYZFaXixk8jKvWtrpqEAbOl7o-ZFcVyMw4vjoW3mXKb34CpZ07TL6EPwP_aw-_NMNgdGyjmfHxf_IbalLYgekRAagRHmtJzeUOCfR4QhK8Oge_9A2RFYBZnwxLro5JYgWhflWvg-w_pxG5XYNM2qvTT4r6p88DoDeW_ZXhqW2kA8AwyZU3a5ePC-SOOZZ4gFvv5JqpD-3gkqPQw-YSQwQrnhoD647kpqiMLMDA7hIZf3lqj1_Yc7qEFiSEpRPtSyO3Ejn4mcriHFM2cKM2mS4CuORGHJdi8SXtqsvgWakGsEiDLhhY1cxwYpDfeh2hI_ui0g8LqYT0qge6-6IqWyM3-MX-ylEqOF0Y2p04kzf1r6pfU1UTckcwUZ2HJI-LIfH-XrW1VUQrsJwxAAzlXUzj4onvbDjSzS1mDwyc-IBgAf-5OzzuSrU5OfWjWhYono5wKLgrM2-azx5lqNtMd9skl67eXVXyghH6zywpg6zGrtTX-o_FUJEoGe1BMOf6Agw2AC5xv6WvRDOtXSZ5w8eqbQnmW_LlHgNiblO4=w738-h554-no

The wiring is connectorized so I can remove the panel to work on it. Wires to the rear of the car and wires to the headlights run thru the frame rails. Wiring to the engine and the dash are gathered in a bundle that runs on the right frame rail and then up between the tranny and hump. I tie-wrap the bundle, but leave it otherwise open so I can add and change as needed.
SLx0s5Vw5h2rXWN7kmk9cQxmtg-qbDmpPf6X3rIWajLMJOcfskOsgoBbSEIwuFVQOwoNLHrF3TrfzeTHvfWTx-ymSS5w4djfbNn46Kp21zhdUWQGhaPOx3y0eL40dTeS_YLikBH3iGyUbwRQLwmypO5acalouZR26WsRbQpBY7vhbZVnGnS73U3HZtgPraAg_DOUmWgmw6pWip8nl-NK0v4EyitbBGBSkrMBU-34zPVmDWK3MMHwnjIYtIsDQkCYqH4GIFufqaZjU-NA20l-ZUcGEMt0mJTV8384heV2_M_Use-x2lYJCD2fFc6V2fZJupqWFuBpUfixqs47QkTtI3UfIVK7AHnqa0VduZkE5txl-qv9tZGGk5PinEToPkGwvFofnJoT9dKzfTgVbDjeUepCaUoZ8KFjQ3gcJVpgITd75gmlx5iXq_peZx_9MxMWf1DxcLYYtB_X51sNB-nHp5NVIaF07mAMlR5EA5fnBUoJegBzATsRngoueb-B02qyDf3AjEYTUAa_D0xLKFNnJ07gQb-L0PmkxGxwEQRzwwJDAaS-vCZP284ROn9z-sWKIkUg4186l2WZDHhSjtNs8KzMpK8J00EnABBdFFYboLdhFsXfTD0SH05hVA-bc_CinRlRvpmcJAxXs5XKOF8e-VAY-zsO553wqx4=w606-h346-no

The wires (and hoses and such) to the dash go up in a 1/2" space between the body firewall and a false interior "firewall" of 1/8" aluminum. And the dash wiring goes thru a 24-pin connector so I can pull the dash and work on it on the bench:
pUxamXHATnwxnXhE5cUbwChdbWqAo1UpcUKvwEFI9k9gSESi3UKSbKEY-Lp-GJpFhcWyCc3bCf1KeZ4I06NR0nMrJNUxqHRqczaNoByryEZWOYKE0X3QAdDoQE6WCJnVIgVEwn1Q9KQfGrDflje4JimrD4IPYSyv74XGkNIwhsKWDXZdidjrRnEsNx8ioVG1nFJhLP88pPBG9CRokqOVlwaOwq4nzh9jKF4UBZHpIpqCrylUIH11SZT66YqvnY0BmLcH1Sbv7yLIdqf_XbEE8zexLnSy6wnyLr0tMJjB-k0A4vsl1mhRXC6p8nghUPd4BMAhD8iQDbQdLMNBpwpD8P8UJ74zuwEDffGlmVlyZN5-ed8HUYNhe1vo9Ofj2GTDH4HOQt1O0kNEyWpWFnKeMrUz-AfKHPbMiCptU-GnonjLbyIf21Q5T9e9JwViEbd-UuAf9KdzmVL4rzsO5RWxOjwkSQFnDaFZYGFWyve3OS73LSOQ9qXYHv4E16AuP7w8o7RzgQDXOHK1QsBOpCVd7zLQo_ux938PLSqWdYLGgddTtk2Y3F7cf_meCt8SrjfySFlQQXxQHGzRsamcjSsOuD6dexNa7VqJgkBi-mtO5yMv35iEusiVV5Ub41y17cmeSMrUaYFbOIvGd3hgmhbgb2ojkqDMRJ3N-Og=w921-h215-no

OfzCYQsyhW_vqhLOu_0TQ9IN5V8a32Qhzt5U33o5ce-mx3mCnHgAJ6XuLbuVpcR0HYVlRuz5yCJbJCSqgDtxf2ALOWdHgfrWZhcLOJRmvx-ZeyGQfSVHbgkSk4uSeScnGAK-Nk5oVH8BbrBfQ0HyY_4KWiFgFbHfBh5H6bm9Lfi3vsRMEQcpkEz5jkLu1OjBiX2TXA_SpM8ZldxhspAfcscWdihDURiWbYH1wTFcRySMCI8rhFe_cTVaRu0_yQUc5wsvi4nx5tm662cTuGHRVI6l8POjYzk9q9Xhxd6X8t_Dw1mrrSmSUCdXevlAmG2yFNqUQ-4ZPucz7Fi6VFkQFoNeOCYRCl7CK6flE9-Na2E7klBm1tNBaTV7CAwwfLwMoXcW103MVwCV7lg5Wy8RjvimbTZnBdqXkI-C2C7ZF4fIe-nwrclj1UGICveoPv3sxIERnXKZA4gZYmug-05j-qbX67d6TksvkiyZh8lGXN-u6SxpReNMT7yrCf6KncRP6yb_6F9TIkB1nEkAEXgP065by8QfTTcmzWlNPt9V0H1pP9tzl7yq2-SYaP2zkG0yWh9kyZcxtcKcawfJ0reW1ija_QZLLMdEj4nSY4WMFxioF01lZDIK_aPY0iWwlDFPFEMeZYTbofYCGhLFT2tZn_PD7Cu9Fh3lpqI=w1059-h794-no

. Engine wires just break out to the dist and EFI and sensors, with some loom and such to tidy them up..

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back