Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

White T II

I see some glass work coming your way.

Notice the small indents that look like center punch marks in the dash? These show you where to drill with your hole saw for the gauges in a normal 6 gauge package. There are similar markings for many of the other common accessory holes, frame mount holes, etc. I got the long body with the concealed hinge door, we're just not into climbing over the side rail. Next I am going to start the wood insert for the interior.
102826_re.jpg 102834_re.jpg 102848_re.jpg 102941_re.jpg

This is the stock spreader / door support that comes with a CCR body.

102834_re.jpg 102941_re.jpg

I am going to try to put in bucket seats, so I needed to make a change to something that was lower profile, otherwise the seats would be way too high. I made this out of 3/4 X 3/4 X .120 tube. The tricky part was getting the door latch bracket in the right place.

112444_re.jpg 112505_re.jpg 112833_re.jpg 112838_re.jpg

Good job! That seating position will make it a cooler ride, and keep you out of the breeze, too. :rolleyes::thumbsup:

409T , where did you buy your upholstery ? I'm interested in purchasing the upholstery if it's available in light gray.

409T , where did you buy your upholstery ? I'm interested in purchasing the upholstery if it's available in light gray.
I bought the fabric from Bailey's Upholstery Fabrics here in Tucson, but you can get it anywhere. I used EZ Oxen brown but you said you want gray. You should be able to find the right stuff online as well. The thread came from the Thread Exchange, available on line. The sew foam also came from Bailey's but you can get 1/2" scrim backed foam online or at any upholstery store. I sewed it all together using a commercial machine that I purchased a few years ago. It isn't hard to do at all. I could dig up some pictures of sewing the pleats if you're interested.

You never own too many spring clamps. These are the first two layers of 1/8" bending ply clamped together to form to the shape of the top rail of the body. Two more layers will be added for strength and then the entire assembly will be used to cap the wood interior skin that will hold the interior upholstery.
121611_re.jpg 150837_re.jpg

409T you are exactly right about the spring clamps . I have several already & i could use some more.

It is time to make the plywood insert that will be covered with upholstery for the interior sides and back. Hopefully I will make it narrow enough for the bucket seats. Actually I can make the seats any width I want, but I need to accommodate the wishes and derriere of the person who will be driving it. I hope I don't get in trouble for that one. Anyway, here are the spacers that will hold the plywood shell out from under the lip of the top rail.

133556_re.jpg 133559_re.jpg

Adding a second layer of plywood (glue and clamp) so that the finished piece will hold the shape of the body. This is 1/8" poplar bending plywood with the grain running in the 4' direction (called 8 X 4 at the lumber yard).

121611_re.jpg 150832_re.jpg

Adding the second layer of plywood with glue between the two. When the glue dries it will hold its curve just as the top piece did. The first layer was installed as 2 pieces split vertically in the middle, the next layere was split both horizontally and vertically into 4 pieces for ease of installation. The screws only hold the layers together until the glue dries and will then be removed.

161450_re.jpg 160049_re.jpg

Last edited:
All the pieces are in and the glue has dried. Now I just have to remove all the screws.

103123_re.jpg 103130_re.jpg 103144_re.jpg

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back