Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

"Black Dahlia"

Number crunching is yielding positive results. If things fall into place, my front end assembly will be complete in 10 days. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: RPM
Fingers are uncrossed and Ron's brake kit will be here Friday! I'm holding off on the tie rod, so I can get the correct length and Ron's gonna supply that too! THANKS AGAIN, RON! I'm not doing the happy dance just yet. I'll save that for when everything arrives. But until then, in my head, I'll be jamming one of my favorite "road songs".

Had two good things happen today. One, my supervisor let me work late, so that meant some great over time. Over time = car parts!:D The second was the two boxes of parts awaiting me, when I got home. I checked the manifest and everything was there. Is there anything better than handling new parts? So, tonight's midnight agenda will be cutting and smoothing the outer bolt hole on the Ford steering arms and preparing the rotors to accept the new inner bearing races.

I mocked the Ford steering arms on the spindles and while a tie would clear, it'll be too close for my peace of mind. So I'll install a 3/4" spacer, when I install the tie rod and use heims instead of the conventional tie rod ends.

Thanks again, Ron!

Happy dance and VAROOM sounds, gentlemen.

I just sent you a PM, before I saw this.

I'm doing the math and I may be calling for the rear shocks AND the tie rod, next week. The rear shocks for sure. I'll keep you informed.;)

Tomorrow, I'll mock things up for some photos.

Midnight ramble and mock up of the arms and caliper braket

full

full

Okay, here's what I got. The install was pretty basic. My only concern is the steering arms. I'd much rather have them mount with a bolt going through and a lock washer and nut on the end. I'm trying to find someone who makes them or I may just go with the flat arms out front. Here's the pics and there will NOT be a video f me doing the happy dance. I chest pumped a bit and that was it.:D

full

full

Fred: I have similar steering arms on mine- no issue for 15k or so miles. Use some loctite and you'll be fine

Okay, here's what I got. The install was pretty basic. My only concern is the steering arms. I'd much rather have them mount with a bolt going through and a lock washer and nut on the end. I'm trying to find someone who makes them or I may just go with the flat arms out front. Here's the pics and there will NOT be a video f me doing the happy dance. I chest pumped a bit and that was it.:D

full

full
You can drill a 1/16" hole through the bolt head and safety wire the bolts together. I'm sure they are course thread bolts so AN bolts with holes are out of the question.

Guys, it's kinda hard to explain, but I'm just so used to seeing a lock washer and nut. I'm sure I'll get used to these arms. I'm actually making a fuss about nothing and probably shouldn't have even mentioned it. The tip about using Loc-tite is a good one, thanks. I'll be taking this apart next week for paint. I just felt like mocking it up. Thanks.

Okay, I found a source for the steering arms I want. Looks very promising!

AR-2121M Steering Arms for 1935-1948 Ford (Disc Brakes)

Chassis Engineering is an excellent company to deal with, Fred. When I was building my '37 Chevy I bought the Mustang II front suspension from them. As luck would have it, after a couple of years of driving the right lower arm broke leaving us stranded. After a tow back home I assessed the situation and gave them a call. They stepped right up and shipped a whole new set up with their tubular arms rather than the stock type that I had. They also wanted to know if there was any other damage to the car. I told them that there was a small scratch on the inside of the right front wheel. They then asked for the make and size and sent me a brand new wheel. All this was handled with great care and courtesy.

Jim

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back