Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

"Black Dahlia"

My old car without beauty rings:

full

and with:

full

There's no question that rings looked great on the old build. Will I think they'll look good on this one? Has yet to be determined.
The suspense is killing me! Lol...

Found this radiator on Ebay and I'm posting it, so I can find the link later.

item# 271432022448

As for your wheels Fred, I say stick with a winner which is your "old" ride with the trim rings. IMHO

Jim

Put rings on one side and none on the other. You can't see both sides at once and it will give you the chance to look both ways for a while. I'll bet you will be the only one to notice.

As for your wheels Fred, I say stick with a winner which is your "old" ride with the trim rings. IMHO

Jim

Yea, Jim. So you've said.... 4 times!:D I'll just wait an see what she looks like without.

23T_idea.jpg

So, last night I was checking prices for the tires I want. While doing that, I scrolled back and checked out how my build has progressed. I'm a little behind schedule, but breaking my hand played a big part of that. Oh well, moving forward is still better than not moving at all. Then, I reread my post #948. In it, I expressed how the theme of my build was taking a different course. In the very beginning, I had planned a sort of "salt/dry lakes" kind of look. I REALLY love that look. But the purpose of changing my theme was that a "fake" salt/dry lake car is kinda bogus. In fact, it's almost an insult to the guys who "have been there, done that". IMO

POSER: a person who pretends to be a member of a group that they are not actually a member of; "wannabe". For example, by adopting the mode of dress, mannerisms, speech patterns, etc. of the group.

Going with bullet center caps and lug nuts was part of my new change in direction. I decided I wanted a nice cruiser. When the wheels arrived, I some how forgot my change in theme. Yea, they are nice and smooth and kinda have that streamlined look, but the caps changed all that. Plus, I have no plans of taking this car to the flats or the lakes and.... I hate "posers". So, after a bunch more photo searches of my wheels, I found a few examples with beauty rings and they did look good on the examples I found.

So, I'm going to get a set of rings. I have used a set Speedway sells before, which are stainless steel. I'm not sure if they'll fit these wheels, although Speedway says they will. If they don't, I'll send them back and go without. I think I can mock them up, without pressing them in, to check fit. Because they DO scratch the hell out of paint, powder coating or plating when installed. I may even be able to order them tomorrow. Anyway, I'm back on track and building a CRUISER.

beauty_ring.jpg

Cheers!:)

Last edited:
cd1.jpg

By the way, if I could afford them, I'd have Cragar S/S 5 spokes and all this indecision would have been avoided.;)

By the way, if I could afford them, I'd have Cragar S/S 5 spokes and all this indecision would have been avoided.;)
You can always change up later as funds allow. That way you'll feel like you have a new or different ride.

Jim

Go for the look you like. You are the guy that needs to be pleased. Its your build. Be happy even if it takes longer than planned. As long as your ride is safe, make it the way you will be happy with. I like what you have done so far. Keep the pictures coming.

You can always change up later as funds allow. That way you'll feel like you have a new or different ride.

Jim

Jim, as optimistic as that sounds, I'm fairly sure it won't happen.:( This car will probably be my last rodeo.

Jim, as optimistic as that sounds, I'm fairly sure it won't happen.:( This car will probably be my last rodeo.

Now, at the age of 72, I can say that about my ride. But . . . you're still a young man! Whatchyoutalkinabout, Willis???

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back