Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Gary49 building my first hot rod

If possible, mock up your final tire/wheel combo (You can use plywood discs cut to the proper size) and ride height with full weight before final welds. I think most of us shoot for a minimum of 4" ground clearance for the oil pan, though mine is slightly less.:cool:

If possible, mock up your final tire/wheel combo (You can use plywood discs cut to the proper size) and ride height with full weight before final welds. I think most of us shoot for a minimum of 4" ground clearance for the oil pan, though mine is slightly less.:cool:
Good idea. I'm going to order my front end from CCR next week. that way I can see how it will sit with some weight on it.
Gary

front end.jpg I got my axle and spring from CCR last week. I made the radius rods and installed them today. The spindles are on the way and will be here Tuesday. It's actually starting to look like a hot rod. Thanks again to Diane and Jerry for being so nice.

View attachment 14166 I got my axle and spring from CCR last week. I made the radius rods and installed them today. The spindles are on the way and will be here Tuesday. It's actually starting to look like a hot rod. Thanks again to Diane and Jerry for being so nice.

Looks great! Yup, Diane and Jerry are really great to work with.

Looks like you're off to a good start.

Yeah but I sure have a long way to go. The hardest thing is getting through the down time in between being able to buy more parts. I guess that makes us appreciate the car that much more once it is done.
I really enjoy my 5 year old granddaughter wanting to spend time in the garage helping "Pap". She likes drawing on the garage floor with chalk. I showed her how to loosen a bolt with a ratchet last weekend and she went flying into the house telling Grandma how she is helping build a hot rod. Memories like that will become part of the soul of that car also.

I've been on my current project ( 06 miata with 07 mustang 4.0L engine ) for 7 yrs & 5 months.There is a lot of waiting time for paydays , shipments & drying times. If a builder is gainfully employed , then the builder has to wait for days off. You also will have to deal with holidays ( family events ). Don't forget sickness & injuries & in my situation ; bad weather. Wind can put a damper on welding & painting.

spindle 2.jpg The spindles and arms from CCR fit like a glove. Don't take this the wrong way but if you're like me and can only afford to buy a few pieces at a time, I think it's wise to buy the major parts from the same supplier. That's pretty much a guarantee that everything fits the way it should. Slowly but surely, I'm getting there.
Gary

View attachment 14193 The spindles and arms from CCR fit like a glove. Don't take this the wrong way but if you're like me and can only afford to buy a few pieces at a time, I think it's wise to buy the major parts from the same supplier. That's pretty much a guarantee that everything fits the way it should. Slowly but surely, I'm getting there.
Gary

Gary, I'm with you all the way on that. My first T Bucket was from Total Performance parts that I had to buy a piece at a time. Everything fit as it should. And I'll say, without having to "massage" them. I've heard it said, that having to make parts fit is part of the game. On that, I call bullsh*t. That's actually poor manufacturing. I can also agree with "slowly, but getting there". Your project is coming along nicely. Great job!

Love that color! Wow. Looks great
Yeah, I never was a fan of green but when I saw the color chip from Summit I knew that was it. It's Sour Apple Green Metallic from Summit Racing. Beside the wife likes it and that's a good thing. LOL
That's the reason for the "Green Hornet".

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back