Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Loud exhuast

Nawt, I don't take pics of junk. Looked fine to me. Its your build, and you drive it. Not everyone can say that.

Nawt, I don't take pics of junk. Looked fine to me. Its your build, and you drive it. Not everyone can say that.

Ha ha. Yeah, it aint real purty and it aint real nice but your rite,I built it and I have fun with it and to me thats what hotroddin is all about. I told you I worked on it till 8 the nite before stray kat and my buddy asked if I was gonna trailer it up there since we havent even pulled it out of the shop yet. I said I didnt build it to ride on a trailer and at 5:30 the next mornin I was headed down the hiway at 75mph. Made it there and back (about 160 miles round trip).with no problems at all. To me hotroddin is not about how much you spend or havin the nicest car its about enjoying what YOU built. Other cars will get more attention than mine but I garantee you they aint having more fun than I am. I want your wifes car for my wife, that thing is cool.

Ha ha. Yeah, it aint real purty and it aint real nice but your rite,I built it and I have fun with it and to me thats what hotroddin is all about. I told you I worked on it till 8 the nite before stray kat and my buddy asked if I was gonna trailer it up there since we havent even pulled it out of the shop yet. I said I didnt build it to ride on a trailer and at 5:30 the next mornin I was headed down the hiway at 75mph. Made it there and back (about 160 miles round trip).with no problems at all. To me hotroddin is not about how much you spend or havin the nicest car its about enjoying what YOU built. Other cars will get more attention than mine but I garantee you they aint having more fun than I am. I want your wifes car for my wife, that thing is cool.

You're sounding like I feel. I don't want to build this car to show off to anyone except to myself. The only trailer that will be involved with mine will be the one it's pulling to haul my power chair. No fancy paint job. The only chrome is likely to be on the windscreens and mirrors No races...my prize will come in the enjoyment of the sights to be seen on a back road not taken before.

I like all kinds of cool hot rods from stock looking street cars to show quality. I have even developed a taste for some well done rats, but hot rodding is what you discern it to be. It started out very non fancy, junk yard cars hand made parts, etc... Some of my fondest memories are of cars built from wrecks and junk yard parts. It's not what you start with, it's what you make with it. IMHO. If it puts a smile on YOUR face, it's just right.

Cant fault what you say. That was my recall of what we did, but it seems, things change.

I have not found anything that's to my liking. I was hoping some knew of a set that would bring the noise level down without killing the engine. Right now it looks like I will have to make my own. Need to get a mig welder. Any suggestions?

If you build your own will you post pics and tell us how you did it? I've never built any but I want to

Hobart,no bueno. I have one and have used others and they cant compete with Lincoln or Miller. I dont know who makes Eastwoods but I have a Matco welder and its just barely better than my Hobart. Get a Lincoln or miller and you'll be happy.

My first was a Miller, back in 1987. It was a TIG/Stick. Used it for 20 years with no problems. Now I have Miller MIG, and a Miller Tig, no problems with either. Both can weld above my skills.

I don't know about the newer welders, but I used to weld all day, every day, and the Lincolns were smoother. The Millers were ok, but they were edgy and would gouge. The NAPA, Mack, SNAPON, etc were made by Marquette in Canada, at least up through the 90's. They are sold under Century now, not sure how good they are, but the old ones were ok. I have a 250a mig from then and it will weld all day long, same from start to finish. If you are shopping for welders, the duty cycle tells the tale as to how heavy it's built. Eastwoods are built by a Chinese company, they sell under numerous brands, from what I've read. I was shopping for a plasma several years back, that's how I discovered that.

When I was in welding class, our instructor who had 40 years of welding under his belt, swore by Millers and Lincolns. Our work floor was all Miller MIGs and TIGs. The two paces I worked at, before oil prices dropped, used Millers. In fact, every welder I know uses a Miller. I'm going to get a cheap Harbor Freight Lfux welder to tack my brackets in place, but I'll take everything to my friends shop and use his Miller.

I just wish I did enough welding to justify buying a machine. It would be a Miller. The technology in the newer machines is amazing. BUT, the best Millers I used, were at my first job. They had some old industrial Millers that were probably older than I am and they ran 24/7 never missing a beat.

Watch around your area , I picked up a barely used century 140 mig at a yard sale for $50 it will run fluxcore or gas , gas is soooo much easier/cleaner...
dave

My .02 is get a gas shielded welder or don't wast your time. The investment isnt that much more and they are much more useable and marketable if you want to sell. Again, just my opinion. Also, make sure it has a cooling fan, and watch the duty cycle. The cheap ones are very short duty cycle and are very aggravating to do much with. My first mig was a cheap 100 amp gas shielded Clark that I bought from andersons general store for like three hundred bucks. It works fine, I have abused that thing. It does great on exhaust pipe, sheet metal, even some heavier plate, etc. I have had it since the early 90's and it still works fine, I just seldom use it because I have a bigger one. It's nice because it's portable. I have a friend who ownes a frame repair and fab shop, they weld all day long. He likes miller mig/ tig, but he doesn't like the new synergetic ones. He claims that they are problematic and the control boards fry, and are pricey to replace. He buys the older models, like the 230 that are manual controlled, no microprocessor. My earlier comments about the miller and Lincoln were relating to stick welders also, I should have been clear on that.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back