Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

My First T-Bucket Build

I like the half&half.

When it comes to color there is ONLY one person that you have to please and that is YOURSELF! You should not care about other's opinions because you know what they say about opinions... they are like a------s and everyone has one and they usually stink! IMHO

Jim

So I sprayed some color on the body this weekend. The color turned This was my first time ever painting a car so go easy on me haha. I was used to how thick the primer sprayed on and I ended up putting the first layer of color on too thick and caused a lot of runs. Really disappointed in myself for making that mistake. But I kept going and put on 4 coats. I plan to wet sand out the runs and the orange peel and cut and buff to a shine. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to do that? What grits should I use for sanding out the runs and orange peel, and what products to use to cut and buff with a polisher? ....In case you're wondering what paint I used... I used Summit Racing single stage urethane. It was a dark red metallic that I mixed with gloss black. I think it was about 8 parts black to 1 part red, and I added some extra red metal flake in there to give it a little extra pop. I was planning on spraying a couple coats of clear over it too but since I got the runs in the paint I held off on that of course. Since it's a single stage anyways I think I'll just sand/buff it out and see how good it looks first.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 45
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 45
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 45
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 45
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 45
From the pictures it looks really good! Since you're not clear coating, you don't want to use too heavy a grit on the paper for wet sanding. I'd use nothing coarser than 600 grit, and be sure to use a block. Should polish out nice!

Thanks! You can't see the runs in the pictures but you can definitely see them in person. I've been reading some articles this weekend and everyone is saying you can't wetsand/cut/buff single stage metallics. So I'm not sure what to do here lol. I have a test piece at home that I sprayed. Maybe I'll scuff it up on one half of it and spray some clear to see how that looks, and just sand/buff the other half. Hopefully I can fix the runs without having to re-paint. I don't have enough paint left to do that with.

Dammed good fro a first try. Have you got runs or sags?

This winter I plan on doing the body work and painting. I have a couple of friends that have painted before, so I sure the will give me advice. from our pictures, its a nice color. I know nothing about painting but I don't see why you couldn't wet sand then clear coat. Keep sending the pics. nice work so far.

Sanding flake can produce funny things, if the fake happens to be cut through with the production paper. It will always show. Maybe better to sand and give it a light dust followed by a wet top coat. Runs or sags in the clear coat are much easier to get over.

I've got runs and sags lol. It's only on the sides of the body. Not the front or back. But it's definitely noticeable in person. If I could give any advice to you Rubicon, spray the first coat very light. That was my mistake. I went too slow on my passes and it put it on too thick. It didn't start to sag or run until I was finished spraying that coat. So unfortunately I didn't notice my mistake until that coat was finished. From what I read the problem is with the metallic particles. If you try to sand on it, the metallic particles gum up the paper and put deep scratches in the paint. But I don't have a choice, I have to try something. I can't leave the runs there.

Gerry, if sanding/polishing didn't work on my test piece then I think I'll sand the paint down and do what you said, give it a light coat, followed by a wet top coat, then maybe spray a few coats of clear on top of that so that I can have something to wet sand and polish.

Beautiful color!

sanding out the runs is best. IF you have access to an airbrush it should be easier to blow in the repairs after sanding and hide any discrepancies in the paint.

A razor blade?? ha! That sounds risky. I have some sags too so that would be too much for a razor blade. I read also that with metallics, when you sand them it will cause the sanded areas to basically look different from the rest of the paint because you are altering the metallic. I will try a few different things on my test material and see what I can figure out. I may end up just sanding off the sags and runs and then scuff the entire car with 600 and shoot another two coats on. I will probably mix up a little more paint before doing that just to make sure I have enough to do that and the wheels, grill shell, and engine.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back