Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

My Slow Moving Project

the hamb guys nailed it...that is a model a axle and drums. if the tires are "something X 16" they are the '35 or later wires. '32's used 18" and '33-'34's used 17"".

Ron

Youngster said:
the hamb guys nailed it...that is a model a axle and drums. if the tires are "something X 16" they are the '35 or later wires. '32's used 18" and '33-'34's used 17"".

Ron

Yeah it had '35 Ford 16 inch wheels and V8 hubcaps on it when I got it and that is why I assumed it was a 35 axle.

I have been looking hard at the Buick Luggage trunk I have and have decided it looks really awkward on a T so Hootie and myself are going to try and build our own turtle deck, I am thinking we can cut one out and put it together and it would be cheaper and sturdier than the 200 dollar glass ones I see online. Wish us luck!
Wp

Glad you saw the light on the trunk. I didn't know how to tell you without sounding like an @$$. Good luck on the turtle deck.

Looks cool. I like the box on back from the last angle you posted a picture from. What don't you like about it?

Think about using the trunk for a trailer. Mike Goodman (Honest Charlie hisself) pulled a steamer trunk trailer behind his bucket for years and it was cool.

raidmagic said:
Looks cool. I like the box on back from the last angle you posted a picture from. What don't you like about it?

It just looks to bulky for the T, it IS a cool old trunk though and has nice chrome strips on the lid and it would look great on a sedan. I am hoping that the attempt to build a turtle deck goes well as that would look more fitting to a roadster.
Wp

Started trying to build a turtle deck last night. Plan on making it out of plywood 2bys and Valley tin.
Here is the beginning mated to the body in a mock up. Still have yet to make the top and cut a deck lid and have not covered in metal yet. It will also sit a bit lower than this and gonna take a few inched off the rear of it.

l_233f10d46acd4653af3324794e14e789.jpg

Hey Slim, check out this link. It may help you in making your turtle deck.

Hotrodders Bulletin Board - Journal - KOALA T's Journal

This is the journal on building my car. Sorry, but I have never got around to completing yet but the building of the turtle deck section should be helpful to you.

Jim

nice write up...great looking piece....maybe you could get some measurements from jim slim.

Ron

Sanded and primed the grill shell yesterday. I was thinking of finding a Model A shell but changed my mind since the T shell was in the beginning stack of parts for the project.
Wp

Been looking at and measuring my attempted turtle deck.
Plan on shortening and lowering it a bit in the coming week of work and time permits. I am VERY curious to see how it looks when we put the metal on it.
Wp

l_233f10d46acd4653af3324794e14e789.jpg

Making forward progress there, keep up the good work. Looks good man. :)

T4TWO said:
Making forward progress there, keep up the good work. Looks good man. :beer:

Thanks much :) It is a SLOW project but I am making headway as I can.
I am replacing the Model A front axle I had planned to use in the project. I ran across an axle from a '48 Ford Coupe today with good spindles and all parts still attached for a good price so I believe I will be using it in the T.
Wp

dose the '46 axle have the brakes on it too??

Ron

Youngster said:
dose the '46 axle have the brakes on it too??

Ron

It does but how GOOD they are I dunno, haven't taken it down yet. I plan on getting an adapter to run disk brakes. I got the whole front end with wishbone for forty bucks, couldn't turn it down. Guess I will have a spare Model A axle now.
Wp

for $40 you can't go wrong. great buy!!!

use the spindles from the '46 axle on the model A axle. i would use the A bones but you can even use the bones from the '46 on the A axle.

look at the spacing for the wish bone pins on the two axles. you will notice the A axle's holes are closer together than the '46 axle. if you use the A axle you will have a tighter turning radius than if you use the '46. back in the day, we used to heat the later bone and bend them in for that smaller turning radius.

another option is to swap the spindles side for side and turn the axle around so the spring is behind the axle. then it's just a matter of wielding mounts to the axle for hair pins. if you look at Tommy Ivo's t, you will see this type of setup. he used a '37 or '38 ford tube axle and spring.

Ron

ps...those '46 brakes will work just fine on a light t bucket!!!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back