Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

My Slow Moving Project

sandmountainslim said:
Here is the '48 axle I got yesterday.

l_fed91ce64a9a4db5ac6d917181d437cb.jpg

Man, that's got traditional written all over it. I hope you figure out a way to use it. It will be worth your time and effort.

tfeverfred said:
Man, that's got traditional written all over it. I hope you figure out a way to use it. It will be worth your time and effort.

I am gonna TRY to cut the wishbone and heat it/turn it into radius rods :lol:
That should be fun and hopefully will work!
Wp

sandmountainslim said:
I am gonna TRY to cut the wishbone and heat it/turn it into radius rods :lol:
That should be fun and hopefully will work!
Wp

Check the history of hot rodding or wait for some of the older guys to chime in. That's the way it was done. You're on the path for a nice hot rod.

older guy chiming in.....

i'll try to make this short and to the point. if you're thinking of using that spring on the front of your T, you will be disappointed in the final result. it's way too much for the light car your building. even if you take half of the leaves out, it's still not going to give you the service a model A (31") spring will. i have used that spring for the rear spring on a t and it is still on the road after 30 some years.that's not to say you made a bad deal, far from it. that was the best 40 bucks you spent. slit those bones and you have a great pair to use with your model A axle.

the spindles and brakes you haveare good ones to use on your car. just be sure to order a new king pin set for the '41 to '48 spindles. you can order the spring with a standard or reversed eye (31") from speedway. also order the shacles and perch pins at the same time. any of the 16" ford wheels from '28 thru '48 will bolt onto those rims. the 15" rims off a 1/2 ton ford pikup will also work.

if you want to have the spring behind the axle, you can do this with the same parts. let me know when your ready to do that and i can walk you thru it.

Ron

that is the setup i'm talking about. the modal a axle will bring the wishbones closer to the frame rails and decrease your turning radius. you will also need that 31"spring. that f-1 spring might be the one to use for a set up like ted was talking about where the spring would go through the hairpins.

one other point to mention about the car in the picture. if you are heating and bending (re-shaping) the tie rod arms on the spindle, look at your speedway catalog for the place to heat. this one was heated at the top of the arm leaving the tie rod ends at an angle to the ground. the eye for the end should be paralel to the ground .

Ron

Youngster said:
one other point to mention about the car in the picture. if you are heating and bending (re-shaping) the tie rod arms on the spindle, look at your speedway catalog for the place to heat. this one was heated at the top of the arm leaving the tie rod ends at an angle to the ground. the eye for the end should be paralel to the ground .

Ron

Wow Ron, you've got eagle eyes. You'd make a killer tech inspector. I could even imagine those rod ends binding at full turning stop, right or left. Scary.

David

Youngster said:
...if you are heating and bending (re-shaping) the tie rod arms on the spindle, look at your speedway catalog for the place to heat. this one was heated at the top of the arm leaving the tie rod ends at an angle to the ground. the eye for the end should be paralel to the ground ...

Ron

Ya beat me to it... again! :welcome:

Quite a few changes and updates to the project since my last update two years ago!
I Sold the Spirit Industries Body and acquired this '28-'29 Model A dash/cowl top/gas tank/
24951_1454109752934_1239022746_1343655_2753019_n.jpg

Which we then proceeded to turn into a bucket body using sheet metal
59783_1657224230669_1239022746_1872946_6137235_n.jpg

67288_1689599760037_1239022746_1941474_6666481_n.jpg

Mounted windshield of unknown make
Built a truckbox from the hood of a '64 Falcon and the bedsides of a '48 Chevy Pickup which we cut down
195986_1982634525723_1239022746_2499324_3431990_n.jpg

Then added a '36 Terraplane Grille and Headlamp buckets and got a 302 engine this weekend.
215243_2050907752511_1239022746_2570944_554292_n.jpg

We are calling the project "The Ghost" and are also using the '48 Ford straight axle shown earlier in the thread and the '22 Model T crossmembers I bought in the beginning of the project.
Wish us luck!
Wp

Ireally like the look of the grill shell and headlight asembly.Mean looking from front.

I see your "plan" keeps changing. Nothing wrong with that as long as you finally come to a plan that you can actually build, and get started executing that plan. So far you seem to have operated in the mode of "still planning". I hope you can move on to "building for real" soon. I myself like to plan, change, plan, etc., but to tell the truth, nothing much gets done until you stick to a plan and execute it.

Those guys in the home built airplane world have a saying. It goes something like: "You need to do SOMETHING on it every single day. Before long, those somethings will add up to a completed project". It works, give it a try, and good luck!

Corley

I see your "plan" keeps changing. Nothing wrong with that as long as you finally come to a plan that you can actually build, and get started executing that plan. So far you seem to have operated in the mode of "still planning". I hope you can move on to "building for real" soon.

Corley

Building for real has commenced. We have built the engine mounts for the 302, frame, body and bed finished, rear end ready to mount as soon as the ladder bars are done and front axle should be mounted next week.
It HAS been a sloooooow project but I said that from the beginning :)
Wp

Looking good! I agree that the grille really makes it. As for plan changes, well I too started with a Spirit 23 track body, but ended up with a '27 when I was finished. There are a few parts on the '27 from the Spirit '23, but not too many!

I am in Alabama and my garage was HIT by an F3 Tornado last week!
MUCHO damage to the garage but THE GHOST survived with minimal damage.
Have hauled her off to a friends shop until my garage is rebuilt and hopefully have her on the road by late summer!

222225_2076966843972_1239022746_2610484_4258981_n.jpg

Ah Crap, is that a new dent in the Mustang too? Sometimes life sucks real bad, and then (as they say), then you die. Sorry you are going through the "real bad" stage right now, I'm sure this will slow you down. At least you can be thankful that you didn't have to go through the "die" stage with all that distruction that happened. Good luck on rebuilding the shop and getting back to the 'T'!

Corley

Just wondering everybody Ok how is the house? Material things can always be replaced.

Just wondering everybody Ok how is the house? Material things can always be replaced.

We are all ok and the house is damaged but livable.
Actually this should SPEED up The Ghost project rather than slow it down if the insurance company gets their hearts right :) Lookin at drivin her in the next few months.
Wp

The Ghost is back up post-tornado!! Shop is rebuilt and I salvaged the radiator from my storm damgaged 66 Mustang for The Ghost:) Have the 48 Ford front axle mostly mounted and now have an 8 inch rear from an F150

316453_2512221605069_1239022746_3096742_1659113785_n.jpg

From the ashes a new beginning. Ya should call it "The Phoenix". Too bad ya lost the Mustang.

Ron

From the ashes a new beginning. Ya should call it "The Phoenix". Too bad ya lost the Mustang.

Ron
Hi Ron :) Yeah the Mustang took a hard hit. I still have it stored away to potentially try to repair later on. I am just glad to have the Ghost back on the agenda and working on it. I guess since it isn't really a "T" anymore (only Model T part I am using now is a crossmember) it no longer belongs on this forum but if it's ok with everyone I would like to keep updating until she's done since it started out here and as a T project.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back