Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

new, dumb and some scary handling

sanarchy

so this is my new 23 bucket. i love it, but man does it scare the hell out of me when it comes to certain road conditions. first, it hops sideways over bumps, irregular surfaces and joints. it is disconcerting and seems pretty dangerous. it otherwise steers straight and brakes straight, and seems to corner on smooth surfaces just fine. but good lord does it hop as explained above.

i should know more about the suspension components and layout, but i have a lot to learn. here are some pics and was hoping some of you could take a look and share your thoughts and experience.

thanks in advance and i hope you don't crucify this pretty lame first post!

Attachments

• 23 bucket 3.jpg
    23 bucket 3.jpg
    383.4 KB · Views: 214
  • 23 rear.jpg
    23 rear.jpg
    596 KB · Views: 205
  • 23 bucket motor.jpg
    23 bucket motor.jpg
    552.6 KB · Views: 210
  • 23 side rear.png
    23 side rear.png
    771.4 KB · Views: 202
Welcome aboard! that's a very clean bucket. I think you have begining of a lot of good times in that ride! I'm sure someone will chime in to answer your questions. There will be no crucifing around here
for your questions! this forum is a great place, great people here.

Welcome to the forum. I'll be watching this post closely as I have a similar problem. Don't worry these guys are pretty forgiving and have most of the answers.
By the way; very nice ride!:thumbsup:

Welcome! Sounds like bump steer, but we can't see it from these pictures. Take some pix from the left side. Is the steering arm from the box to the front end parallel to the radius rod? Do you have play in front end components? Friction shocks may be adjusted tighter or better replaced with hydraulic shocks. If you have cross steering, you will need a pan-hard bar. Stick with us, someone can figure this out!

Nice pictures...are the pictures in animated or cartoon? Seems almost unreal. Anyways, Great looking car. I will be interested in more pictures as well, as I am also troubleshooting a 'hop' issue.
Good luck :)
Greg

thanks everyone. so here are a bunch more photos. i suspect i have been running too much tire pressure, but was figuring somebody here might have some suggestions. also, i live in carlsbad, ca, so if anyone knows someone good locally, please recommend!

Attachments

• 23 left front side.jpg
    23 left front side.jpg
    615.6 KB · Views: 179
  • 23 bucket front.jpg
    23 bucket front.jpg
    422.3 KB · Views: 189
  • 23 right front.jpg
    23 right front.jpg
    450.1 KB · Views: 182
  • 23 steering.jpg
    23 steering.jpg
    422.6 KB · Views: 176
  • 23 steering arm.jpg
    23 steering arm.jpg
    273 KB · Views: 177
  • 23 rear.jpg
    23 rear.jpg
    596 KB · Views: 175
  • 23 bucket driveway.jpg_sml.jpg
    23 bucket driveway.jpg_sml.jpg
    375.2 KB · Views: 176
Tire pressure would be the first thing to check. It really does not take much to maintain a good sidewall and tread contact patch. The next thing would be if the rear is running square with the front axle. If it is not and one tire looses contact, the rear will track in the direction the one tire is pointing. If not true, it will be to the right or left and so goes the rear. I think I saw an attachment for a panhard rod. This rod needs to be as near horizontal as possible. The farther from this, the more frame movement your get when the axle moves up and down.
Make sure the rod ends on the panhard bar are tight and bolts are not loose. The next thing is personal preference and someone may correct me for geometic reasons, but I like the trailing arms to run more horizontal than yours. I think if the front mount was in the next hole up, the pivot of the rear axle would provide better ride and handling. Since the T looks to be well built and thought out, hopefully the rear coil overs are the right poundage. Again it does not take much to carry the T's weight. Put the two riders in the T and see if you can get easy compression of the coil overs. Adjust for a soft ride and enjoy.
By your description I am going to leave all the suggestions on the rear. A couple of things I noticed on the front, that is a lot of wheel weight on the right front tire. Tires look new, now would be time to see if they will try another tire that needs less wt to balance. On the axle end of the hair pins the adjustment looks like a lot of the thread is outside the tube. I hope there is sufficient rod end still in the tubes.
Hope some of this helps. Let us know how it works out.
Upon further examination of your rear susp, it looks to be a 4 link, so my advise about the trailing arm will not apply.

It looks like I am seeing a rack and pinion steering, and I can't see a panhard rod if that's the case I think a panhard rod is in order. If I'm overlooking something it's just my old eyes. Btw good lookin ride

Did you build the car or did someone else? Whose frame and body were used? It looks like a nice car. Maybe too preload in the rear. If you can, run hydraulic shocks in the front.

This is the fun part, tuning it to perfection.

Are those bias ply tires? Once you get used to radials bias tires feel real funny. I agree with Ron about the panhard bar. That was my first thought.

What I see is a "half rack" set up to make a cross steer set up. With that you NEED a panard bar and I don't seem to be able to see one. Do you have one?

Jim

ok boys look at the 4th pic i see a panhard bar mount !!!!

DO us a favor and see if there is a bar from the top of the rearend to the frame (in your case on the passenger side maybe)

IT LOOKS LIKE THIS........................(TOP BAR BUT CAN BE MOUNTED DIFFERENTLY)
1927-Ford-T-Bucket-rear-panhard-bar-5.jpeg

P.S. If your referring to the front suspension needing one than disregard post.

Actually,

Does it hop sideways when the front tires go over or the rear ? You never said and it will help alot on figuring out whats wrong.

good question. seems like the front first, then the rear seems to follow or at least lose its composure. steering correction is then required to straighten the car. maybe i'll mount the go pro to the thing and post it. be a few days till i get it back...

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back