Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

pre-retirement moving to Texas?

fatboyman05

Well, here I am looking at 22 years to Retirement. (so I'm planning ahead) I currently live ina 1/4 acre City of 75,000 in Florida. The fastest growing county in the us for 2 years in a row. I have lived in Florida since 1978

I see all sorts of reasons to move somwehere before I am really ready for my second career which i hope to be in hot rodding / fabrication.

I see that there are numerous members on here from Texas and what I know of Texas and the housing and job market there it seems to be calling me.

I had an uncle who traveled the west alot. I have never ben west of the ole' Miss and have said once I do, I wont come back.....

to those that know Texas, please chime in. to those who can relate, even if to a different future desired state, chime in too......

I really think it would be good to live in a community for 5 or 10 years before retirement......

fatboyman05 said:
Well, here I am looking at 22 years to Retirement. (so I'm planning ahead) I currently live ina 1/4 acre City of 75,000 in Florida. The fastest growing county in the us for 2 years in a row. I have lived in Florida since 1978

I see all sorts of reasons to move somwehere before I am really ready for my second career which i hope to be in hot rodding / fabrication.

I see that there are numerous members on here from Texas and what I know of Texas and the housing and job market there it seems to be calling me.

I had an uncle who traveled the west alot. I have never ben west of the ole' Miss and have said once I do, I wont come back.....

to those that know Texas, please chime in. to those who can relate, even if to a different future desired state, chime in too......

I really think it would be good to live in a community for 5 or 10 years before retirement......

Maybe "Mikey" will let ya move into his garage....? Well, it's just an idea, LOL :rolleyes: "BH"

I lived in Houston and Pasadena and then in Austin for a total of about 6 1/2 years in the early 70s and loved it. I still have a lot of friends and ex-in-laws living down there. (I got along with the in-laws better than me ex-wife did.) I've talked about moving back down there for years but can't seem to get away from the great white north. I spent a week in Austin about 5 years ago. I had forgotten how hot it gets in Texas in June. Of course since you are in Florida the heat won't bother you.

I have friends living near Tyler in east Texas so I might try that area but my first choice would be around San Antonio. My in-laws lived in a small town just west of there and I spent a lot of time there and I was pretty familiar with that area. That was over 30 years ago and things have changed a lot with urban sprawl but I think I could still enjoy living there.

I think if I were in your position I would look at relocating to the Austin-San Antonio area. Both cities have grown considerably since I was there but there are still smaller cities that are close enough to make a convenient commute if you get a job in either city but far enough out that you won't have to put up with the crap. Corpus Christi is just a couple of hours south of San Antonio down I-37 so you wouldn't be that far from the gulf and both Austin and San Antonio offer a lot of entertainment venues and nightlife if you decide you need a night out.

The Houston area has gotten way too big. I lived in that area for 5 years but I haven't been back since 1977 and I really don't have any desire to go back there, even for a visit. I've never cared for the metroplex of Dallas and Fort Worth.

My choices would be (1) San Antonio, (2) Austin and (3) east Texas (Longview, Tyler or south of there to Nacogdoches and Lufkin). That's my $.02 so take it for what it's worth. $.02.

Steve

P.S. I lived in Oklahoma for a few years too. Oklahoma City is a great town and one of my favorite cities but I don't know what Oklahoma's economy is like right now. It would be worth investigating.

I live in the Texas Panhandle about 40 miles north of Amarillo and never have liked it it is always windy no trees and not much to do it gets darn cold and lots of snow in the winter and hot and dry in the summer..I would definitely look at south Texas for sure..

I have 10 acres outside of Huntsville TX., and 2 years till retirement. :rolleyes: I just need to build a house now and I'm set.

I live in Flower Mound,Texas which is a bedroom community just north of DallasFort Worth International Airport and really enjoy it. I spent 11 years in the Air Force, living in Colorado, Georgia, and the UK. Plus I'm an Air Force brat so I 've lived in Oklahoma, Florida, Ohio, Louisiana, and South Dakota. Most of my family is in Arkansas, which is where I was hatched. North Texas has a good job market, affordable housing, No State Income Tax, excellent schools, and an abundance of Hot rods and shops. If I wasn't living in Texas, I'd be in living in Colorado Springs, Co.

RocknT said:
I live in the Texas Panhandle about 40 miles north of Amarillo and never have liked it it is always windy no trees and not much to do it gets darn cold and lots of snow in the winter and hot and dry in the summer..I would definitely look at south Texas for sure..

I don't know who first said it but........"Amarillo.....where you can look farther, and see less, than anywhere else on earth"

I hafta agree, its hot in the summer, butt-cold in the winter, and the freakin' wind NEVER stops blowing.:mad: and lets no forget the tornados.

Vance

I've lived in Houston, off and on, for over 30 years. it's big and getting bigger. A nice deal would be a somewhere like Austin, but Austin is very hard to find work in. It's what I consider a party town. The University of Texas is there and the town caters to free thinking and leisure living. If you can get a good job there or afford to retire there, it's an excellent choice.

Now, if I had a mind to, I'd try just outside of San Antonio. I have relatives there and they love it. San Antonio is just big enough to have city conveniences without the hustle of big city life, but it's growing and will soon lose it's charm.

Then, there are the areas like Huntsville. Lots of small towns around it, trees, lakes and land is still easy to get at a good price. You'd only be an hour or so from Houston or Dallas. I went to Crockett, just outside of Huntsville, and it had the look and feel of a time long since gone. Hell, they had an old movie theatre that looked like it was out of the fifties. Get yourself about 5 acres around there and you'd be your own man.

My girls family has 25 acres in Grimes county. Just outside of Houston. Lots of trees and scenery, but there is nothing there... yet. If you want to disappear, that would be a nice spot.

My moms hometown is Port Lavaca. They don't even have a freeway! Right on the freakin' gulf. You go to the beach on a weekend and the closest person to you may be a 1/8 mile away! If you wanted to, you could drive right into the gulf. Living is cheap, but there are no jobs, unless you work in the Alcoa factory. But for a retirement place, it's ideal. When I visit there, I go to the docks and get fresh seafood right off the dang boats. Awesome fishing spots all around. The closest big city to it is Victoria and it's not what I consider big.

Do your research and ask around like your doing. Texas is a nice state and if you really want to come here, there are a lot of places to fit whatever your looking for. Oh, no state tax. The "good old boys" won't stand for it.

I remember a line from an old cowboy movie and it fits. "Texas is like a woman, big wild and free."

also depends on home and real estate prices. San Antonio and especially Austin are MUCH higher than Houston. Real estate in the Hill Country is out of sight. I'd love to have some property somewhere on Hwy 46 between Sequin and Boerne but prices are just way too much. I'll just settle on about 10 acres in Colorado county outside Columbus along the Colorado River.

Just saw somewhere where Houston is the #1 city to live in America based on job market, home prices, etc... But then heard this week it is like #8 based on transportation and the lack of good mass transit. But it is fine with me. I live in the far western edge in Katy and I take the Park N Ride bus to work downtown and get 45 minutes of nap time and leave the driving to them.

Coupefreak said:
I hafta agree, its hot in the summer, butt-cold in the winter, and the freakin' wind NEVER stops blowing.:mad: and lets no forget the tornados.

Vance

In the summer, there's nothing between there and Hell but a screen door, and it's open.

In the winter, there's nothing between there and the North Pole but a barbed wire fence, and it's down.

I live just south of Dallas. I really like Austin, but it's gotten pretty pricey. East Texas (Tyler, etc.) is reasonably priced but the jobs are scarcer.

San Antonio is a nice area.

If I were going to just pick a place, I think Corpus Christi would be high on my list.

Hey Vance seems allot of people other than us have the same opinion of the Panhandle ...it sucks !!! LOL:lol:,,I read where northern part of the panhandle,,north of Amarillo is going to be the worlds largest wind farm in a few years ,,imagine that !:eek:

RocknT said:
Hey Vance seems allot of people other than us have the same opinion of the Panhandle ...it sucks !!! LOL:lol:,,I read where northern part of the panhandle,,north of Amarillo is going to be the worlds largest wind farm in a few years ,,imagine that !:eek:

They might as well.....most of that land is worthless for anything else.

God bless T. Boone:lol:
maybe now he'll quit tryin' to sell our water down state:mad:

Hey.....you comin' down Saturday evening for the monthly cruise-in??

Vance

Would like to but working ,,I miss all the fun stuff :sad:

My vote is the Dallas area....try suburb areas....We lived in the Wylie/Plano/Rockwall...

Always a lot going on there (cruise nights, car shows etc.)

We now live right out of Longview (about 45 miles northeast of Tyler)
There is absolutely NOTHING that ever goes on around here and nothing to do.

If you like cheep housing, good food and mountians in the middle of town, try El Paso.
Mike in ep

I guess I should mention that I need to live (WORK) in texas for about ten years (at least 7) in my scheme of things..... this will let me network and feel comfortable to move around a little for a few years before I commit to some acreage and my retirement (whatever that means by then) casa'

Well, I don't know what kind of work you do, but right now, in our area (DFW metroplex), you have to be quick and hide really well not to get a job. The drilling in the area is bringing in huge numbers of jobs and gobs of money.

TubT said:
Well, I don't know what kind of work you do, but right now, in our area (DFW metroplex), you have to be quick and hide really well not to get a job. The drilling in the area is bringing in huge numbers of jobs and gobs of money.

It's the same in Houston. The only people not working are the ones who prefer feeding off the system.

we left pensacola after 35 yrs to go where the g-kids were--they moved----we like here in sachse(dfw area)---thinking about staying--lots of shows in the area :)

fatboyman05,where in florida?

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back