Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

tires

terrymac

I'm running 31/18.50-15 bias rear tires with 205/60r15 radials on the front. The car is fairly darty on rough roads but fine on normally smooth roads. Now before anybody point out the mixture I do know better. I run a tire shop but I thought where the car was so light I would get away with it. Looking for some opinions as to weather rear radials will help or is it just because of the extra wide rears. What do you pay for rears in that size range. I priced them here in Canada and Mickeys or Hoosers are the about the same price about $1000 a pair at cost.
Terry

A little spendy up there, around here retail for that size is around $350 each.

:) I guess $350 US plus 20% exchange plus shipping plus 13% tax times two... yup just about a grand.Not that I begrudge spending it but I'd hate to do that and be no better.
just one wat to find out .... I was hopeing to get this summer out of the bias ones

I think the Hoosier Pro Street Radials are nice. You can get them at Discount Tire usually. Summit has good prices too.

15 in. - summitracing.com

With tires ya got,Drop psi on front by about 5lbs. and add to rear about 6 lbs. and try it. They may work way better,theres no book psi with 2000lb. rod.;)

I just put Mickey Thompson radials, S/R 31x16R-15 on my bucket. I had a cooper radial that was a really good tire but to small. I up sized to these and other than being a soft tire with a lot of traction, I really like them, cost was $711.00 out the door from Discount tire.

As far as tire psi goes, in the rear you test to see how they are hitting the pavement, by giving them a little spin and looking at the tire/rubber pattern on the pavement, dark at the edges, more air, darker in the center, less air.. One great practice to do if you have a real good tire store in your town, is have the tires trued, (make then the same size) and then filled with Nitrogen.. that way your tire pressure does not change with heat or cold, great for drag cars also, will not change pressure after a burn out...

great tips ... thanks ted!!!

Ron

Thanks great tip. I'll try it out first nice day I've already dropped the front pressure down to 20 lbs and the rear is about 16.

How did adjusting the tire pressures do? I have just set mine to 16 rear and 22 up front. I always thought the fronts were too hard. I'm running 5.60X15 in the front and N50X15's in the rear. I'll take her out in a little while and see if it rides any better. I was just going to post a question about tire pressures but knew someone would have already address the issue. Thanks to all.

Ted Brown said:
As far as tire psi goes, in the rear you test to see how they are hitting the pavement, by giving them a little spin and looking at the tire/rubber pattern on the pavement, dark at the edges, more air, darker in the center, less air.. One great practice to do if you have a real good tire store in your town, is have the tires trued, (make then the same size) and then filled with Nitrogen.. that way your tire pressure does not change with heat or cold, great for drag cars also, will not change pressure after a burn out...

Yea Ted......I used to get all these looks and folks ask 'What are you doin'?'.......walk up after the car leaves and study the tire prints....the suspension and setup will talk to ya if ya know where to look......thats what I do in the engines and blowers.............:cool:

we use a piece of keel. draw a line frome sidewall to sidewall across tread. drive forward about 20' look at mark. if it still has keel on edges and gone in center air down. basic same principal as the burn out test. I use keel on our jeeps. how I get my contact patch dead on. read that tread.

On my t-bucket I run 135-15 radials with 28 lbs of air up front. I run 33-22-15 Mickey Thompson street radials with 8 lbs. of air on the rear. Works fine for me.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back