Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

ultra fun 23 build lol

the invisible motor is very quiet lol it will have a basic 350/350 chevy combo at this time hopefully within a week. i wanted a flathead but could not justify the cost at the time because i have everything to use a sbc. with kids at home i have had to watch the budget lol. the colts are my hometown team so i have to cheer them on :)

the two tone paint was something i wanted all along because i think it looks different but if you look close you can see were i changed the body line at the cowl to make the hood line up with the paint scheme. all the work was done at my home garage which i only have the basics but all the machined parts i made in evenings at work. i hope people look at this and see that with some effort and a vision they to can do a neat little car on the cheap if they are scroungers and dont think they have to have alot of bling lol

here is a better pic of the front quarter eliptic set up as stated the spring is a model a ford front that I cut in half and made to fit. it is very soft and should ride well I hope I have yet to put all the bolts in place as you can tell from the pic lol the top bar is made out of 1 1/4 round tube with a bushing in the end and a female rod end for adjustment of the axle I also made brass spacers to make up the side difference.

here is the front friction shock setup it is made from 1/4 inch plate and has a needle bearing and thrust washer so it moves smooth. it als has a piece of friction material that I cut into a disc it is a piece of brake liner. there will be a cotter pin to keep the nut from backing off before its on the road. it appears it will work as well as a friction shock could as I wanted the clean look in the front end. the rod ends are simple 1/2 inch male and female pieces for some adjustment.

the rear is a simple 4 bar setup that I made out of 1inch tube and made bungs for and welded up and installed 5/8 in rod ends and clevis the rearend and frame brackets are all made from 3/8 inch plate

the rear spring is a model a ford high arch that I took several leafs out of to make for a better ride. and have the shackels at about a 45 degree angle so there is no need for a panhard bar to keep it centered. there is a lot of tension on the spring so a word of caution for anyone installing one either use spring spreader or install one leaf at a time using a big piece of all thread to clamp them together.

here is the beginning as you can see I had a very good helper thru this whole process:) the body is from a guy in minisota or however you spell it lol. I got it and the grill shell for what I could afford at the time but it look a lot of work to get it useable but I knew when I got it I would be cutting it up so it worked for me.

first thing I did was to cut the upper body lip off because I wanted all the room possible in it cause I'm a bigger person.i then added a piece of flexible plastic conduit that I split and put it over the top of the body. a person could use a piece of garden hose or anything round

then added several layers for fiberglass over it to make it strong I also added 6 layers of glass to the entire inside of the body to add strength as I don't want a bunch o puffy interior to take up room that is needed.

I then started a seat insert as I wanted a bench seat for a little more room. I looked at buying one but really didn't like what I saw and they just didn't look right. so I took plywood and made ribs the shape I wanted and covered it with cloth and resin followed by 6 layers of fiberglass.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back