Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

ultra fun 23 build lol

thanks for the compliment butch27 i know I'm posting a lot tonight but just trying to get caught up to date i hope I'm going about this the right way as this is the first time i have ever posted to a sight if i need to do it different please let me know now back to the pics lol.

the frame was made from 2 1/2 inch square tubing because it was free from a old job that was being torn down it is 1/4 inch wall so it shouldn't flex much. i went off of some measurements from the ccr plans but ended up changing the rear kickup to make it useable for the model a rear spring. and also made the wheelbase a lot shorter to suit the look i was after by not having much room between the engine and radiator.

the front axle was made kinda to the specs of the ccr plans i made it from 1 3/4 inch tube 3/8 inch wall tube and believe me it was no fun to bend lol. i welded it to a big welding table that was bolted to the floor and used a forklift and lots of heat and slowly bent it while using a cardboard templet to make sure both sides were the same. i then used a mill and machined the axle end bosses to the angle required and made the end bosses and had a good friend that is the best tig welder i have ever seen thanks kent lol and he welded them on. i then made the brackets and then welded them on and ended up with this.

i did buy the lower steering arms and spindles and disc brake kit but made the drag link tierod and upper steering arm.

in the pic above you can see the headlight brackets i made from 3/8 in plate because i didn't want any vibration. i now have different headlights i am using because i wanted to be able to use updated bulbs.

That is very thought out car. One thing to watch. Clevises are not designed to rotate. Keep an eye on them or make some brass sleeves for them. Love the friction shocks. You are indeed a buckethead!

thanks for the input old round fart i was wondering myself on the clevis deal. and was hoping that with lock nuts and a rod end at the other end they would be ok but if you guys think i need to change the i for sure will as i want this thing safe for sure.

here was the start i used some 1 inch by 1/8 inch strap material and wrapped a piece of sheet steel to give it some character the gauges are from a Datsun 280 z that i found at the junkyard i got att the sending units for them as well

then made the column drop out of a old connecting rod and made the steering column out of a piece of tubing. i also made a brass insert to take up space and machined bushings from brass and delron plastic

i then made the windshield posts and frame the frame is made from conduit i slotted on the mill and the posts are made from flat plate that i formed and welded up i hope to finish the body work on them soon and get them painted

i then moved on to the gastank that i made out of sheet steel and added baffels to it and the sending unit for the 280 z gauge i then made mounts bo it bolts to the frame so it dosent break the fiberglass bed off due to the weight

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back