Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

"Black Dahlia"

Memo to self....... stay off the computer at 2am.

Well, there's a delay in Ron's parts, so my welding plans will have to wait. Ron's pieces will enable me to place my parts where they need to go. Could I do it without them? Sure, but if I set it up wrong, I'll have a major setback. Ron,if you're reading this, please send the 3/8" bracket panhard bar. It'll be worth the wait. Sorry for changing my mind so much.

I also changed my mind on the filler for my welds. I found that you don't have to buy a whole big can of the stuff. I found it comes in small tubes, so I'm gonna play around and see how it works on some small pieces. If it works, I'll use it. If not.... well....... I'll change my mind again.

HUH.......?

Okay, I decided I'd try the filler on the rear end brackets. Success!

Before:

I Taped the area as per Choppinczech's suggestion and used a plastic knife to apply the filler.

I let it set as per the instructions. Afterwards, I removed the tape.

I then sanded with 220 grit, then 320. The results are a nice smooth axle. I'll come back with a smoother grit and work on the other welds. Whew!

P.S. Sorry for the pic quality.

You can click on a pic and see the progression. I'm sorry about the clarity. I'll take better pics tomorrow.

For corners you can use your finger or round the corner of the bondo spreader and sand with paper wrapped around anything round. Enjoy!

For corners you can use your finger or round the corner of the bondo spreader and sand with paper wrapped around anything round. Enjoy!

Thanks! I figured there was going to be a point where I'd be "hands on".:D But I'm pleased with the results. I also learned that the cure time is no joke. Once mixed, I had to be ready to go. I did this on a whim last night. With a little more planning I should be better.

Well, not sure if these pics are any better, but here they are. I probably need to adjust exposure, but I'm old school and just glad to have what I have. If ya want a really good look, just drop by.:D

One trick on the dvd's was using a latex glove and pull the finger tight and wrap tape around the finger to keep it tight and you get a better result.

One trick on the dvd's was using a latex glove and pull the finger tight and wrap tape around the finger to keep it tight and you get a better result.

Noted! Thanks!

PARTS ON THE WAY!!! Thanks, Ron!

Reactions: RPM
Okay, the small bondo kit gave me enough to do the front shock/headlight towers. Now that I kinda know how to mix it, I'll get some more to finish the rest of the welds.

So, before:

And after:

You may not be able to see it, but I've formed a slight curve where the mounts meet the tube. These, as with the rear end brackets, are first coats. Each will get another skimmer coat or two and of course, a final sanding with 1000 wet/dry.

I've got a whole new level of respect for body men now.

I have always thought that primer tends to soak into filler, giving it some bite. I usually finish sand filler with 220, with no ill effects. Just another opinion.:confused:

Noted.

Is my time and energy wasted? Nope. Am I learning? Yup. ;)

Fred, another thing that I have learned and experienced in the past are that some nitrate spot fillers tend to bubble later on in the heat. I use Evercoat glaze now for final pin holes and small repairs on filler.

I spent this morning at the hospital. My moms not doing so well. I'm putting things in a holding pattern and well, just waiting to hear what the doctors have to say. I'll get back. Thanks guys

Thanks, guys. As it turns out, her condition isn't as bad as first projected, but we're still on watch. She's a tough woman going on 80, she'd probably say, "Don't worry about me." So, I'm gonna try and not worry too much.

I had ordered a pair of brake line brakes for the front brakes and they were here when I got home.. I'll weld them in, when I get Ron's panhard bar. I'm also expecting a HUGE delivery tomorrow, that will put a smile on my face and also open a whole new bag of worms, as far as this build is concerned Stay tuned.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back