Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

"Black Dahlia"

;)

Fred, send me a drawing of what you want for your tail lights and I'll see what I can do. I need TIG practice. John

When I get to that point, I'll give you a shout. Thanks!

This is what SoCal offers. It's not bad, but I think we can do better. I figure it's the perfect tail light for a racer styled T Bucket.

Tail Light Bracket '37 B.jpg

Last edited:
As I wait for the brown truck with Ron's goodies, I'm doing research on the use of bondo to cover the welds. Now, while it's true that most of them won't be seen, I thought "why the hell not". I've never used bondo, but I know it's like fiber glass. Your window of use is small, so you only mix what you can use in 10 minutes. But are there any other things I should consider? Or should I leave well enough alone and let the welds stay as they are?

If the welds are purty, I'd leave them in some places. But I'd rather metal finish them rather than bondo them. Just my two cents.

If the welds are purty, I'd leave them in some places. But I'd rather metal finish them rather than bondo them. Just my two cents.

You must have called my land lord, who's an old school car guy. His advise was, and I quote, "What the hell are you building? A Gawd damn trailer queen!? The welds are fine. Just finish the gawd damn thing."

So, I'll rent a movie and start planning my front brake set up. I'm 57 years old and gt knock down to a teenager in less than 30 minutes.

He called me up. We decided that the winter time is a good time to do things like cleaning up welds. Ha ha

I say leave the welds, adds character :cool:

LOL, good thing all that matters is what you think...........

Fred, I use this method quite a bit. It's really no different than applying the filler with a tool or your finger, but leaves a nice consistent radius.

Butter up both the weld and the dowel and push into place. You usually don't even have to hold it there.

As the filler is starting to set up you can remove the excess that's squeezed over onto the masking tape. Using the tape saves a lot of unnecessary sanding.

Let the filler set up well and pop off the "mold".

Bondo joints.jpg

Wow! That's pretty cool!

Kinda quiet today. Good day at work and football is back. I'm going to research using filler on my welds. Yea, lad lord be damned. I just want to see if I can do it. If it doesn't work, I can always wire wheel it off. I'll probably do the rear end first. That'll be later this week.

Well, after a little nap, I'll experiment with the filler after I weld on Ron's panhard bar, the radius rod brackets and the radiator brackets. The chassis will be done, as far as welding is concerned and I'll move on to completing a rolling chassis. My target date of the end of September isn't going to happen. Late October seems more realistic. I have a few "real life" things to spend money on. Boy, this hot rod stuff takes time, patience and a whole bucket of thought. I love it.

Kinda quiet today. Good day at work and football is back. I'm going to research using filler on my welds. Yea, lad lord be damned. I just want to see if I can do it. If it doesn't work, I can always wire wheel it off. I'll probably do the rear end first. That'll be later this week.

If you can, sand blast the weld areas. Body filler likes a "tooth" to hold onto.

Wire brushing tends to make them too smooth and polished.

If you can, sand blast the weld areas. Body filler likes a "tooth" to hold onto.

Wire brushing tends to make them too smooth and polished.

Got it!:)

How about having them shot peened ?

John

My plan is a light grinding on the welds and immediate area around them. There are a couple videos and that's what they did.

Waiting for the brown truck and Ron's panhard bar. Ordered the 2 front brake line tabs, which will be welded on the front end of the frame. Looks these items will complete the welding for now.:D

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back