Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

"Black Dahlia"

Gonna hopefully work on cleaning up a few welds in prep for paint. Still checking a few sources.

Wasn't that a Happy Day's episode > ..lol
Richie got his ass handed to him and Fonze spent the night on the car to blow them all away the next day.
Then they were all so tired they forgot dads car was all souped up the next day when dad got home to park it in the garage he went through the back of it.

Wasn't that a Happy Day's episode > ..lol
Richie got his ass handed to him and Fonze spent the night on the car to blow them all away the next day.
Then they were all so tired they forgot dads car was all souped up the next day when dad got home to park it in the garage he went through the back of it.

Kinda. Actually, one of the better episodes, IMO. The show sucked, when they went live. Ah well.

I think I may have found a paint solution for my frame. I had to search my old photos and notes, but I think it'll be the way to go for a car that's gonna get driven a lot.;)

I have used the summit single stage for my body and was impressed. For the frame i used the tractor supply implement paint with hatdner. So far so good as far as durability

I have used the summit single stage for my body and was impressed. For the frame i used the tractor supply implement paint with hatdner. So far so good as far as durability

Okay, I'll let the cat out of the bag. When I built my first T, it was a VERY low budget. I'll post a link to the build later. Anyway, I primed and painted the frame and all the suspension pieces with rattle cans. Yup, rattle cans. Not only that, they were the generic brand sold at O'Reilly's (which are made by Duplicolor). It looked great, even up close. Then, about a month later, a lady friend paid to have it all powder coated. My T stayed that way, until my wreck.

When I rebuilt her after the accident, I went back to rattle cans and she stayed that way, until I sold her. Sometimes, I even brushed on some black. No one ever noticed. This time, I've found some Marine Grade Epoxy sold at Lowes. It's made for boats and they say it'll cover fiber glass, plastic and metal. It doesn't come in rattle cans, so I'll brush it on. I'm going to get a can and try it out on some scrap and see what happens. If it looks good, I'll use it. If not, I'll just rattle can her.

One thing I've always done, when using rattle cans is PREP. You have to follow the instructions on the can and prep the surface you're painting. Okay, here's my Miss Behavin' build thread. The paint info and pics are on the opening page. Wow, this sure brings back memories.

tfeverfred's project

looking forward to it. Rattle cans can produce good paint if its done right and, as you said, you take your time. All said and done... paint is paint;)

looking forward to it. Rattle cans can produce good paint if its done right and, as you said, you take your time. All said and done... paint is paint;)

And this sure ain't no Ridler build.:D

Took me a few minutes to find it, but check this out. The Krylon Special. You just gotta prep.

krylont.jpg

So, today I removed the rear end suspension pieces to start prepping the rear end for paint. I still have a little more filler work to do on the lower shock brackets. They're just not as good as I would like them to be. I also noticed that the welds on the panhard bar mount are really nice, so I'm going to leave them alone. I took my time and REALLY looked over what I've done up to this point. My personal opinion is that I've strayed away from K.I.S.S. a little.

I still need to finish putting filler on the front shock brackets and in hind sight, I should have brought the small can, instead of the little tube kit. But, I didn't know how it was going to turn out. So, I'm not that mad about the decision. The other welds, where hardly no one will see them, will be left alone.

Today, I REALLY had to remind myself how much I drove my last T and how much punishment it took on a nearly daily basis. It wasn't perfect, it was FUN. I also remembered how I hated sweating stuff like, "How sweet looking does a mostly covered frame really need to be?"

Last edited:
I had a pretty smooth day at work. On the way home, I noticed how freakin' nice the weather was. This is when Houston is at it's best. 80 degrees for a high and mid 60's in the morning. Then, as I drove, I tortured myself for selling my T Bucket. Something I've rarely done. It was days like this, that I'd hop in her at sunrise and cruise the whole day and into the cool nights. ARGGGGHHHHHH.......!

As I arrived home and snapped back into reality, I sat and stared at "Black Dahlia". Yea, she's got a ways to go, but I can "see" what she'll be and with a lot more work and sacrifice, hopefully this time next year, I'll be roaming the streets again. Driving like I'm going some where, but with no real destination at all.

Fun is what it is all about to me. My cars were built for me, so I don't worry to much about what others think. Well, I do, I suppose, but it don't really matter. Build the way you want, but build safe, and drive em.

Fred, you nailed it! I love nothing better than to hop in my bucket on a nice day and go for a cruise . . . to nowhere and back!:thumbsup:

Tomorrows my day off and I'll pick up some rattle can primer and black to do my radius rods. I'll also get some filler to finish smoothing out the front shock tower welds. Over the weekend, a friend who's into boats told me to check out 2 part epoxy paint ( color & hardner ) for my frame and maybe the rear end. So, I'll swing by Loews and might pick some up, depending on the price. He assured me that if I use the primer and color coat, the finish will brush on smooth and be bullet proof. If I get some, I'll try it on some scrap and post results.

Fred, it seems like I saw epoxy in spray cans. I think it is for refrigerators and other appliances.

Man, you guys are quick today. I just Googled 2 part epoxy paint and got sticker shock! So, I'm gonna try Rustolem Marine Enamel primer and top coat. I'll check out he rattle can appliance paint as well, but I think cost per can may be high. If the brush on Marine Enamel will dry smooth, I'll probably go that route.

FYI: epoxy paint does not have very good UV stability. It's super tough and very chemical-resistant, which makes it great for hidden frames but where it's exposed to the sun, it will fade and chalk over time. Urethane and enamels are much more UV resistant. The rusteloeums and similar enamels can be thinned, will flow out nice, and have excellent coverage. Just something to think about.

FYI: epoxy paint does not have very good UV stability. It's super tough and very chemical-resistant, which makes it great for hidden frames but where it's exposed to the sun, it will fade and chalk over time. Urethane and enamels are much more UV resistant. The rusteloeums and similar enamels can be thinned, will flow out nice, and have excellent coverage. Just something to think about.

Thanks, Ben. I'm leaning that way at $15 for 32 fl. oz. for primer and color coat. 100 sq. ft. coverage from each.

Last edited:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back