Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Helpful hint

EX JUNK

If you are like me and do not like the red and blue anodizing that comes on some aluminum fittings, here is a very good way to get rid of it. Simply get some "EASY-OFF Heavy Duty Original Oven Cleaner". Spray enough in a jar or can to cover the fitting. Allow the fitting to "soak" for a few minutes. When you extract the fitting and the anodizing is completely black, rinse in clean water and dry. Then, using a buffer, bring to a brilliant polished finished.

In the past, I have tried a lot of things to remove the red and blue anodizing but have found this to be the easiest and best way to accomplish that end.

Jim

Ex Junks tip is a good one! Easy and simple, as usual. ;)

I do some small scale anodizing here in my home shop. What I use to strip the old anodizing off before I redo it, is I mix a solution of one can of pure lye drain cleaner to five gallons of water. You can get a can of lye at any Ace Hardware store. The brand I use is "Red Devil." Ex Junks way is better for one shot deals, but if you want five gallons of a super corrosive mixture laying around (doesn't everybody?), the five gallon pail is the way to go. Make sure you have a good solid lid for it. No brainer. ;)

But, be super careful with this stuff!!!! And when you mix it, always add the lye very slowly to water. If you add water to lye, you're going to get a small explosion. :eek: Always where gloves and a face shield. Safety glasses are not good enough.

Also, don't be surprised if the mixture heats up to 180 degrees or so during mixing. It's a VERY exothermic reaction.

Happy Chemistry!

David

EDIT: A few more things I want to add to my post, make sure you use a good aluminum wire to hang the part you're stripping in the lye tank. I usually just use a piece of welding rod. You don't want to drop your part in there that's for sure! Also, it only takes between 30 seconds to three minutes to remove most anodizing in the tank. Do don't let the part stay in there too long, otherwise it will dissolve away to nothing.

Due to Red Devil being used in the Meth cook process we don't see it here. I haven't seen it on the shelves in a long time. I was told that it has been removed but I never checked. Now I will.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back