Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Top Cruising Speed

I have driven my hot rod on a roundy round track, I've been to a few "run whatcha brung" 1/8th mile "he's got a helmet and a lap belt, let him go" places also.

AND I've been places where the speed limit was 80 MPH on the highway, with pictures to prove it somewhere...

AND I've also hear that the reason Toolman's windshield is slightly laid back is because it once exploded in his face whilst driving (at a particular rate of forward progress) down a little road somewhere in Texas.

I would also like to interject that I do remember the first month or so of driving the bucket, when I got up to highway speeds it felt like the car would raise up about an inch and a half, and feel like I was floating on air - kinda like it was about to lift off... and I remember reaching for the wing adjustment like on a sprint car to get some downforce but since it doesn't have a wing I was left feeling like it was in serious need of downforce.

That feeling disappeared soon after, but it sure seems that every new passenger that rides with me feels like that when we hit highway speeds the first time.

I'm guessing that the top on mine acts as a wing cause at high speeds it feels very firm and in the road. BTW, the speed limit on I-20 in west Texas is 80 mph. They're talking about raising it to 90.

In Louisiana I have found it greatly depends on the roads. On some roads here at 55 you can barely keep it on the road but if it is a nice smooth hwy the 70-75 (that is our speed limits) is alright. I would like to add that have semi's pass you at 80mph on I 10 is much more scarier then driving 80 mph yourself. Driving 55 or 60 mph is so "NORTHERN". LOL

I would also like to interject that I do remember the first month or so of driving the bucket, when I got up to highway speeds it felt like the car would raise up about an inch and a half, and feel like I was floating on air - kinda like it was about to lift off... and I remember reaching for the wing adjustment like on a sprint car to get some downforce but since it doesn't have a wing I was left feeling like it was in serious need of downforce.

That feeling disappeared soon after, but it sure seems that every new passenger that rides with me feels like that when we hit highway speeds the first time.

Dude! I had that happen the time I did 110mph. That's what made me get off the gas. I thought I had imagined it, until you mentioned it.

I don't have a speedometer hooked up, but I just go with the flow of traffic. However, I normally ride a motorcycle.

I'm with ya there Bruce, I normally ride a bike and really the only difference in the hot rod and one of my bikes would be that I don't put my feet down at a stoplight when I'm driving the hot rod.

Fred, for the first month of driving Kletus, whenever it got up to speed it just felt "lighter" and I even described it as feeling like it lifted up a little, like it was going to float, like I was flying or something. I've since had it on the racetrack up to about 115 on the speedo, and it's a little off depending on what tires I'm running at the time. Don't feel to me like it's floating anymore.

That feeling is long gone now, BUT I KNOW when something's wrong with the car when it happens. When the rear radius rod broke, I felt it. I even said to my passenger, "something doesn't feel right... is that tire going flat?"

Thats it Todd, a T is just a 4 wheel motorcycle.

Hey Todd, there is a good possibility I'll be passing through Memphis the end of the month. I'm going to ride down to FL.

Thats it Todd, a T is just a 4 wheel motorcycle.

Hey Todd, there is a good possibility I'll be passing through Memphis the end of the month. I'm going to ride down to FL.

Hey Bruce, dont forget to check in with us Floridians and bring a roulette wheel if you can fit it in. LOL But seriously, it you do get down to South Florida (west palm Beach area), please let me know. We are always thrilled to meet fellow Bucket Heads and we ride motorcycles too.

Hey Bruce, dont forget to check in with us Floridians and bring a roulette wheel if you can fit it in. LOL But seriously, it you do get down to South Florida (west palm Beach area), please let me know. We are always thrilled to meet fellow Bucket Heads and we ride motorcycles too.

I'll be in Jupiter for a few days.The 3rd till the 8th. The oldest in getting married on the 7th.

Ring me when you're coming through. I don;t have much time that isn't already scheduled in advance for me... but sometimes I can make exceptions.

When anyone asks how fast it will go, I just say, "Legal highway speeds. It mathematically COULD go much faster than I'm willing to go. It has all the aerodynamics of a brick with a sail."

And that's my car right in front of Todd's.

I saw 132 once. I really enjoy the ride at 55. Wind noise is terrible at 70 and I'm afraid top will hand grenade. I run on interstate here in TN at 65-70.. 55 is so much more relaxing

My car loves 60 MPH just real happy right there...............

I was thinking about asking what speed you guys run on the interstate highways and bingo somebody beat me to it. I was thinking 60, 65 would be a good start. Wind noise is unbelievable. I like cruesing around 45. Very relaxing.

I bought these for cruising long distance. Keeps the noise down and the hat on
my head. On the Interstate I usually cruise at 75 mph, the engine is only turning
about 2000 rpm.

HearingProtectors.jpg

I bought these for cruising long distance. Keeps the noise down and the hat on
my head. On the Interstate I usually cruise at 75 mph, the engine is only turning
about 2000 rpm.

View attachment 13271
those work well, we have a couple for mowing day.

It's a 3.70:1 rear gear ratio.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back