Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Top Cruising Speed

You know my little 289 Ford gets me to the speed limit pretty quick and does very good on gas so I am happy and get lots of looks. I just don't see the need for HP............. Any time I am asked how fast will she go, I say the speed limit at the least .........

It's genetic with males to brag about stuff. Horsepower is just a bragging point in these little cars. I'm with you, Fred. About 300hp plus or minus should give you all the fun you can handle! Personally, I love the look on people's faces when my li'l ol' carbed 350 Chevy stomps their EFI big block away from a stop light.:p:D

Because I can, what more reason do I need? If I wanted practical and cruise capeability, perhaps a Prius would do.... that's just NOT the point. If you don't get it, it's called HOT RODDING! Lol

Yea.......lol

While building a high horse/torque ground pounding car is something I'm still planning on doing some day, I've always felt that a "driver" hot rod/street rod is best with a milder engine. If you drive them any distance like we do, sticking with parts you can easily get will keep you from being completely screwed if you have a problem on a long distance cruise. The 302 in my '27 runs at about 9.5:1 compression with a set of flat-tops, decent aftermarket heads, reasonable cam- plenty of power for a light car and 18mpg on the trips. Smooth running and no major issues in over 8 years of driving.

I like more than I need, it not about top end ..... I'm not completely stupid, but it's about the acceleration (10-80mph) that makes my adrenaline pump because I'm a racer at heart. My 400 sbc is approaching 500 hp and I'm getting 20 mpg at 60-65 mph with a 3.7:1 rear gear. I take trips that are over a 1000 miles, so bugs are my biggest problem.

I've put it to the test in El Reno Ok at their Small Town Weekend where we get to race legally on Route 66.

In the link below, 3rd race is the Farm Truck from Street Outlaws.

It's not without it's risks.....

Closed course cruising on Route 66

Last edited:
Good one, Rick! I like the low key approach . . . let 'em have the noise & smoke at the bleach box, then smoke 'em at the lights!

Maybe they're compensating for something,lol. I wanted to use a chevy V6 but cam across a stock 327 dirt cheap. Personal preference is all it is I.M.O.

Long as I can run 55 on a two lane back road and I don't hear a lot of loud exhaust I'm good. Wind noise is what I hate. Even with top the wind beats the hell out of you. Guess I need wind wings. Personally, 55 is my cruise speed 90% of the time.

Maybe they're compensating for something,lol. I wanted to use a chevy V6 but cam across a stock 327 dirt cheap. Personal preference is all it is I.M.O.
compensating for not wanting yet another sbc, auto....no offense, just preference. Seriously, I like sbc, have several, but if my bucket didn't have a vintage BBC with a manual shift, I wouldn't have bought it.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back