Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Top Cruising Speed

It's a great comprise between highway cruising and fast acceleration.

I have both, the tires are 31" tall and the OD final drive is .67:1.
The trans is a 200-4R.

TireSize_RPM-Calcs01-2.jpg

AutoTransGearRatios.JPG

Attachments

• TireSize_RPM Calcs.xlsx
    20.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I was thinking about asking what speed you guys run on the interstate highways and bingo somebody beat me to it. I was thinking 60, 65 would be a good start. Wind noise is unbelievable. I like cruesing around 45. Very relaxing.
60-65 is bout right for me. I'm like you, 45 is a very nice ride.

Every car seems to have a happy spot when it comes to cruise speeds. I catch myself going way too fast in my little Fiat ragtop. It's not a particularly fast car, but it just feels right at about 90 or so and hums right along. Of course this is on the open road, not in traffic. As for wind noise, I usually listen to my IPod when in a drop top or bike. I can't even fit in it with the top up. My other cars are different. I haven't driven the revised bucket yet, but I hope it will be comfortable to at least stay out in front of traffic. I doubt it will get driven on long trips often, but car shows, cruises, etc, would be less fun if it was hard or uncomfortable to run with the pack in.

Last edited:
I hate pack cruising, cause I know what I am going to do but that YoYo around me is the guy I worry about so I will be dragging up the rear & be along directly at 60MPH.........

I hate pack cruising, cause I know what I am going to do but that YoYo around me is the guy I worry about so I will be dragging up the rear & be along directly at 60MPH.........
I'm like you. I like setting in the back. I always did this when I rode a motorcycle. 3 was about right. I hate big packs. Holly power cruise was OK but man was there a long LONG line of cars.

I'm not comfortable in the middle of any traffic. I want to be out front, or back a bit so I can see what's going on and have time to react. I don't want to be back because the ride won't keep up though. Gotta have options, lol.

I have 33x22x15" Mickey's on my bucket with a ford 9" with a 2.70 rear gear. It's like overdrive all the time, with the ford 427 fe big block it's plenty fast enough for me.
That thing ain't got no top end!!!!! Bet it just keeps pulling

Hell, you cannot attract attention if you are going 100+ right? Well, to answer your question I have had mine to 100 mph but, that is on a smooth straight road and only wanted more.....blacktop that is! It ran smooth and straight, and my heart beat faster with each mph gained. The first time I took my wife for a ride she said it felt like a carnival ride......still don't know if that was a compliment or an insult. She has had many more rides so, I have taken it as a compliment. I feel much more comfortable going slow and the speed limit and hey, it is much more enjoyable getting hoots and hollers than going 100+.

So, with just about everyone keeping their cars below 100 mph, what's the point of having a high HP engine? Bragging rights? I asked the guy building my engine to build me something that would keep up with traffic. He laughed and said, "So, you want me to shelve the 350 and build you a 4 Banger?". With these cars being so light and not really set up for high speeds, I have a hard time understanding the quest for 400+ HP.

I met a guy at a show and he claimed 600+ in his T, but he also admitted he'd probably never use it all. Just seemed like a waste. As I posted earlier in this thread years ago, I had my old one a little over 110mph and things got interesting very quickly. So, I'm sticking with a goal of a little over 300HP this time around. Top speed a little over 100mph. But in actuality, 150hp would probably do the job just as well. Guess I'm getting old or safer. Hell, maybe both. :confused:

So, with just about everyone keeping their cars below 100 mph, what's the point of having a high HP engine? Bragging rights? I asked the guy building my engine to build me something that would keep up with traffic. He laughed and said, "So, you want me to shelve the 350 and build you a 4 Banger?". With these cars being so light and not really set up for high speeds, I have a hard time understanding the quest for 400+ HP.

I met a guy at a show and he claimed 600+ in his T, but he also admitted he'd probably never use it all. Just seemed like a waste. As I posted earlier in this thread years ago, I had my old one a little over 110mph and things got interesting very quickly. So, I'm sticking with a goal of a little over 300HP this time around. Top speed a little over 100mph. But in actuality, 150hp would probably do the job just as well. Guess I'm getting old or safer. Hell, maybe both. :confused:
Reason I have a basically stock 283.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back