Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Torque converter.

oino

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Think I asked about the awhile back.
I finilly going to get a new converter on Thursday. Cross one more part off my list.

I'm looking at the ones at speedway. Their in my budget.

2000-2200 stall
or
2200-2600 stall

?

If in a light car go with at least the 2600 one. You will not have any slippage problems, like you might think, and it will not lurch so bad when you go into gear or pull at redlights. You will also notice an improvement in performance. Both of my Sons are running 3000 stalls and those work well with the hairy cams they are using.

Don

I went with the Speedway 3200-3500 unit on my warmed over smallblock TH350. I have made some wrong decisions on my build but this one was dead on right. Don't be afraid to put some stall in it, with the light body, too low a stall the car will want to push through the stop light especially if you have a rumpty tumpty cam that idles up. The car moves off the line well and the convertor does not flash with normal driving because of its light weight. I wouldn't waste my money on either of those two stalls IMHO.

oino, converters are strange animals. Those numbers are mysterious, to a point. Put that stock converter in a 3200 pound car, its not hard to hold at a redlight, in a bucket, you gotta stand on the brakes sometimes. Also, depends on motor characteristics....wether you have a ton of low end torque or not....
One thing nice about this board, theres so many different cars with so many diff. setups, you can find just about anything you need.
Just add a cooler, though your not slipping with 32oo#'s of Camaro or Chevelle there, theres still heat buildup!

Not sure on the HP. But it is a 350 bore 30over - RV cam. Th400 trans. Jag rear with 2.88 gears.
Oh, your probably about 200-250 horse range, good tuned 350, a c4b, 600 cfm 4bbl, RV cam, headers fresh motor with valvejob, sealed rings, etc.... Tuning could get you to about 27o....

I always wonder about this topic. Because even with my new 350sbc, which is mildly built, I have a stock converter and don't have to stand on the brake at a stop light. What are you guys idleing at when at a stop light? I'm at 750-800 rpm.

Spirit said 2400.
Just got off the phone with a speedway tech. He asked about my engine, trans, cam, rear end, and rear tire size.
Then he said I should go with a 2200-2600.

My wife's T is about 1900 lbs., stock 327, all drum brakes and I just switched that from a 2400 rpm stall converter to a 3200 rpm stall. She is much happier at stop lights.

My wife's T is about 1900 lbs., stock 327, all drum brakes and I just switched that from a 2400 rpm stall converter to a 3200 rpm stall. She is much happier at stop lights.

What gears in the rear?

I have a warmed over 302 with a warmed C-4 and a 2600-2800 stall. I wish I had a 3000+ in it. It has serious creep at stoplights if you r not heavy on the pedal. These guys are right. With a light car you need more "stall". Its not really 2600 stall in that light car....maybe in a stationwagon!

oino, converters are strange animals. Those numbers are mysterious, to a point. Put that stock converter in a 3200 pound car, its not hard to hold at a redlight, in a bucket, you gotta stand on the brakes sometimes. Also, depends on motor characteristics....wether you have a ton of low end torque or not....
One thing nice about this board, theres so many different cars with so many diff. setups, you can find just about anything you need.
Just add a cooler, though your not slipping with 32oo#'s of Camaro or Chevelle there, theres still heat buildup!
What Screamin' said. Light bucket, go higher in slip. The converter is a strange beast that responds to the inertia of the load. A low intertia low friction load like a 1500lb bucket will not slip anything like a 3200lb Nova. JM2CW, I'd go for the 3200rpm every time in a bucket even with a mild engine.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back