Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

friction shocks: good, bad or what you thinking!!!

Re: friction shocks: good, bad or what you tinking!!!

Most guys on this forum are dead set against using friction shocks because they do not perform as well as hydraulic shocks. I, however, have chosen to use them for the older, cleaner look on my car along with quarter elliptic springs. I mounted mine with the friction disc on both sides of the arm and by keeping them adjusted properly they perform quite well.

IMG_2313.jpg

IMG_2314.jpg

IMG_2316.jpg

It is the same thing when it comes to tires. Some guys prefer to run bias ply tires rather than radials which are a better tire. They are willing to sacrifice a little to get the look they prefer. It all boils down to what you like best.

Jim

Come on guys! Here is a guy looking for some input. There have been 144 views of his posting and only I have responded. WHY??? I am in no way an expert. I have given my humble opinion and he is waiting to hear some more input. Please give this guy some input to help him decide how to build his front end.

Jim

I'm by no means an expert, my chassis is not even a roller. I went with speedway short shocks.

Eric

Go to the bottom of the page in the tags section and click shocks.This has been hashed around alot no need to go at it again.

Thank you Rick for cluing me in on this feature. I'm sorry that I did know of it before. In the future I will be sure to check before I answer a question posed by a new guy.

Jim

My father is running home made friction shocks on the front of his current T. And he is happy with them. I dont know if it makes a difference, but he is using leather for the friction material instead of rubber. I may go with them on my current car also. But currently am leaning toward hydraulic lever shocks. My air ride causes a problem with the mounting of shocks, because of how much movement it has. So if the hydraulic levers dont work for me, It will be friction shocks and leather friction pads.

thanks to every body!!! i think i need to read more before i post a question, im just looking for some advice from the experts
thanks to everybody!!!

especial thanks to:
exjunk: beautiful front end
eafree: i will check that shocks
rick: thank you for the bottom click tip lol
lke: some photos please ill like to see that front end
thank you guys... you rock!!
love this forum!!!
have a nice week end!!!:):D

I used to use friction shocks and they seemed okay, but I didn't know any different. I run hydros now and can tell they are better. Coils would probably be even better. So much about these cars is trial and error. Factors like weight (both of the car and driver) make fine tuning seem like almost an individual adjustment.

moses-t said:
i like the friction shocks for the older look
but maybe be good to use the coilers
thanks please some one using coil overs post
your tips
thanks to all
:cool:

Both my dad and I run Carrera coilovers on our '27's. I like them as there is some built-in adjustibility and you can even switch out springs if needed. We built our headlight mounts so the headlights cover up a lot of the spring... Its not "Old School" but it's not "New School" either.
DSCN0194.jpg
DSCF1073.jpg

theres another member on here that has a silver T, cant for the life remember his name maybe LKE was it maybe... he has the cleanest coilover setup ive seen on a T.. i'll dig for for pics

edited adding info

members name was engine24355
39_3-1.jpg

also to add, a clean friction shock setup with 1/4 elliptical springs.. this car was in streetrodder this month.

vbpgimage.php

Here is a pic of LKE's suspension.
100_0443.jpg

BenT what size springs are you using on your frontend.

putz: The coilovers on the front of both Dad's and my '27's are the Carrera Street Rod models. I think mine has the 165lb spring rate, but truthfully, I bought them 5 years ago so I'm a little fuzzy on it. I got them from Speedway and they work really well IMO. RPM is selling them also. My only problem is that Carerra was bought out by QA1 and they only offer the bushings in yellow now-. When I bought mine thay were red. I tried to order black later, but no dice-yellow only. I had to modify some Energy Suspension bushings to work.

Here is a pic of the mock-up whjen I was figuring out the mounting height.

Bens27121.jpg

Friction shocks were easier to install so I put a set on my second T in the 60's. I built a T chassis 4 years ago and bought the speedway set. On my 22 speedster I have a set of Hartford shocks that came off a 20's studebaker. they now make hartfords in england but the new ones are pricy. I have a set of horseless carriage Hasslers on the rear of my second T bucket. I thought they looked different.

Been out of town for a few days at the Tupelo Car Show or I would've answered sooner.

Here's the setup I used on my 1/4 elliptic frontend. I wanted the friction shock look, but with the action of a hydraulic.

The rockers turn on poly suspension bushings and use heim joints for links to the axle. The shocks tuck up under the headlights.

The setup works pretty well, but the 2 to 1 ratio in the rockers limits their effectiveness some.

101_0395.jpg

101_0157.jpg

101_0162.jpg

Mike

The hydro's will give a ride most like your daily driver. If you are building a theme car, give the frictoins a try. Them might take a lil playin with to get them to work but worth it if it's the look you're after.

Ron

That is a damn slick set up there Mike. I'm sure that it works quite well for you.

Jim

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back