Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Got started today

Mike have you decided on wheels and tires yet?????

rooster57 said:
Mike have you decided on wheels and tires yet?????

No not yet. And honestly I don't really even know where I would get them. Is there a good place online? I'm thinking 14" wide 15's on the back and 14's on the front.

The big question is how much is your budget for wheels and tires?

putz, I'm looking through the first site you posted, it looks like it has a lot of potential once I figure out what size I want. Also, wheels are a lot cheaper than I was expecting.

putz said:
the reason I edited it was it looked more like 4 wheel drive wheels but some would work.

Well I kind of like the Mickey Thompson Classic II. Are they 4x4 wheels or would they work on a T? Only thing is, for the bolt pattern and backspacing I'm looking for they only come up to 10" wide and I don't think that's wide enough (?)

M/T Classic II Wheel

I also really like these from Jegs:

260-641serieswheel.gif

Is 14" too wide? I think I remember Ted said his are 15" wide. Can anyone think of a member on here who's running 14" or 12" wide wheels?

I think you need to determine the offset you need then look at the wheels and see what is available in your offset. Most of the wheel mfg will post a chart with these dimentions on their web site. JUST beware and dont get so wide and to little offset and get your tire to close to the body. I would bet that josh at spirit could shed spme light on this with their body and your rearend setup.

rooster57 said:
I think you need to determine the offset you need then look at the wheels and see what is available in your offset. Most of the wheel mfg will post a chart with these dimentions on their web site. JUST beware and dont get so wide and to little offset and get your tire to close to the body. I would bet that josh at spirit could shed spme light on this with their body and your rearend setup.

Josh said that the backspacing can be anything between 3 3/8 to 4 1/2 but he didn't mention offset.

They are one in the same just a dif way of saying the same thing. Think of a 10 inch wide wheel if the mounting surface is centered it would have zero offset and 5 inches of backspacing. If it is 1 inch further inside than it has 1'' neg offset or 4 inches of backspacing. Todays new car wheels are all pos offset. But please dont take my word for it check it out and decide what suites your taste. Here is a chart that may help a bit.
https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html#backspace

If you are going to run a 10" wide tread width, then a 14" wheel is good also.. Keeps the tire from rolling in the rim, side to side, with low tire pressures, well the just right tire pressure... as each finished car requires their own amount of tire pressure, tested with a short spin, and a reading from the rubber marks... :D

rooster57 said:
They are one in the same just a dif way of saying the same thing. Think of a 10 inch wide wheel if the mounting surface is centered it would have zero offset and 5 inches of backspacing. If it is 1 inch further inside than it has 1'' neg offset or 5 inches of backspacing. Todays new car wheels are all pos offset.
https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html#backspace

Ah, that makes perfect sense, thanks.

Ted Brown said:
If you are going to run a 10" wide tread width, then a 14" wheel is good also.. Keeps the tire from rolling in the rim, side to side, with low tire pressures, well the just right tire pressure... as each finished car requires their own amount of tire pressure, tested with a short spin, and a reading from the rubber marks... :D

So maybe I'll go with a 14" wide wheel and 12" tread width. I was just looking at Hoosiers on Jegs and it looks like in that size they only come 31" tall.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back