Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Northstar T is taking shape

I haven't gotten a clear picture of what the top shock mounts will look like yet, but I fully expect that a vague image will soak into the space betweeen my ears very soon now.
beeer.gif
384174870.jpg

The picture finally came into focus this morning, so I fabed up the upper shock mounts today:
384223637.jpg

and got them installed:
384223644.jpg

also built a K member to stiffen up the frame a bit:
384223640.jpg

I need to go back to work for a rest
Russ

Nice fab work Have you thought about what kind of exhaust you are putting on?

Nice fab work Have you thought about what kind of exhaust you are putting on?

A little bit. I'm seeing a more or less traditional T looking system. either four pipes back to about the front of the door and then a foot or so of collector with a turn out.... or perhaps run the four pipes all the way back and give them the same quick turn out just behind the door. I'd like to have baffles in whichever system I go with, but also have the ability to divert to a hidden under-car single muffler for... "when the need arises" ;) .

Russ

O-Boy I am in trouble now.. hehe just a thought, in this stage the shackle should still be almost straight out, just a little angle, as there is still a lot of weight to go, plus the driver and passenger... Not to be bitchin here now:) I like that you are doing clean work... I myself would have used at least a piece of 1/4" angle for the bottom of that headlight/windshield mount, as they take a bit of abuse and 1/8th is a bit thin. just me here, who knows it may hold fine, as you will not be as hard on your Baby as I am on mine.. :laugh: Ride safe my friend... Just keep an eye on them.

O-Boy I am in trouble now.. hehe just a thought, in this stage the shackle should still be almost straight out, just a little angle, as there is still a lot of weight to go, plus the driver and passenger... Not to be bitchin here now:) I like that you are doing clean work... I myself would have used at least a piece of 1/4" angle for the bottom of that headlight/windshield mount, as they take a bit of abuse and 1/8th is a bit thin. just me here, who knows it may hold fine, as you will not be as hard on your Baby as I am on mine..
ab.gif
Ride safe my friend... Just keep an eye on them.

No No... no worries Ted. I can take constructive critisism. it's just that, in this case anyway, you're wrong
df.gif
. The front spring I'm using has very little crown to it, even when fully unloaded. If the car were to beef up enough to cause the spring to go totally flat it still wouldn't make the shackles go beyond vertical by more than 1/2" or so. The rear spring, on the other hand, will definetly require that I relocate the spring hangers. so yes, even an "expert" like me can be wrong at times
shrug.gif

The headlight bracket is only slightly more than 1/8" all right, but it's made from old bed rail which is tempered. very stiff stuff and it doesn't look as dorky as 1/4" angle iron IMHO.

keep em coming Ted. I can take it.
run.gif

Russ

No No... no worries Ted. I can take constructive critisism. it's just that, in this case anyway, you're wrong
df.gif
. The front spring I'm using has very little crown to it, even when fully unloaded. If the car were to beef up enough to cause the spring to go totally flat it still wouldn't make the shackles go beyond vertical by more than 1/2" or so. The rear spring, on the other hand, will definetly require that I relocate the spring hangers. so yes, even an "expert" like me can be wrong at times
shrug.gif

The headlight bracket is only slightly more than 1/8" all right, but it's made from old bed rail which is tempered. very stiff stuff and it doesn't look as dorky as 1/4" angle iron IMHO.

keep em coming Ted. I can take it.
run.gif

Russ
Well I have no shackles at all, and my front spring is pretty much flat, if I had shackles I would want the shackles to be darn near straight out, no sway from side to side that way... Bed rail material is not even welded on by the rail makers, only riveted together to other parts of the bed frame, right? Kinda like welding on a Model A frame... Build safe :)

Well I have no shackles at all, and my front spring is pretty much flat, if I had shackles I would want the shackles to be darn near straight out, no sway from side to side that way... Bed rail material is not even welded on by the rail makers, only riveted together to other parts of the bed frame, right? Kinda like welding on a Model A frame... Build safe
ab.gif

You have "no shackles at all"? and you're using a buggy spring front end? that must work real well. I won't even comment on the rest.

hoist.gif

Russ

I guess you have not looked at pics of my front end spring setup, and yes it works GREAT...
ab.gif
Thank You...
ab.gif

No pictures in your album. where can I see your photos?

Russ

Russ,

In my humble opinion, your engine selection is going to take bucket-T's to a all new level of sophiscation. Easy starting, perfect idle, great street manners, hauls butt big time, fuel efficient and low emmissions. With the manual transmission you will have the flexibility to drive it any way you please, short shifting and beating the other guy when your asking for no more than 2800 RPMS, and the other guy is looking at your tail lights with his engine screaming at 6000 RPMS. Rice Rockets better beware of your T.

Bob

Thanks Bob. Yes the Northstar does have a very flat torque curve, and pulls very well at 2800, but the really cool part is that it's still pulling every bit as hard at it's 6500 redline ;)

other obligations precluded making any progress on the T last weekend, but this weekend should see some gains. Today I designed, cut the mandrel bent 1 5/8" tubing, and welded up both headers... minus the collectors (I ran out of steam around 6:00 PM). I've also purchased 2 12" glass packs and some 2 1/2" pipe, but I won't decide if the mufflers will go under the car or be incorporated into the side pipes until it's a bit further along.
Russ
384876937.jpg

I wanted the steering link to go outside of the headers. It's pretty close, so I may tweek the steering arm out a half inch or so to give a little extra wiggle room, but overall I'm happy with the left side also.
384876935.jpg

That engine looks great exposed for all to see. I know the Northstar has a great high end, but with your weight, excellant low RPM torque, and your choice of a manual, means you can beat others without trying or reving high. I have no problem taking off on 500 mile a day trips, and with you just up in Oregon, I'm looking forward this summer to seeing your ride in person. I just bought the perfect long drive head gear, a leather aviation cap with goggles and silk scarf. I have been looking for something that will keep my long hair from knotting up and glasses that I won't lose at 120 MPH. Beanie hats and regular sunglasses are OK at freeway speeds but for short little blasts to 120 I lose the cap and glasses. This is what I got...........
https://www.uswings.com/snoopycaps.asp

Bob

Deckofficer let me know how that cap and googles work out I was thinking of ordering the same pair for my windshield is only 12 in. high and I have a problem with wind that regular sunglasses won"t work

Sure thing. stop by anytime. I'm still a working man, but let me know when you're coming and we'll comb our hair.
"500 miles south" would put you somewhere near Greenfield then hu ;) ?
You guys just have NO style at all with those Snoopy goggles BTW. the wife and I... now WE have style.
384905949.jpg

That engine looks great exposed for all to see. I know the Northstar has a great high end, but with your weight, excellant low RPM torque, and your choice of a manual, means you can beat others without trying or reving high. I have no problem taking off on 500 mile a day trips, and with you just up in Oregon, I'm looking forward this summer to seeing your ride in person. I just bought the perfect long drive head gear, a leather aviation cap with goggles and silk scarf. I have been looking for something that will keep my long hair from knotting up and glasses that I won't lose at 120 MPH. Beanie hats and regular sunglasses are OK at freeway speeds but for short little blasts to 120 I lose the cap and glasses. This is what I got...........
https://www.uswings.com/snoopycaps.asp

Bob

Don't tell me when you aren't bombing around in the "T" you are flying a Stearman? BTW, the pic looks like you and your daugther. I'm in Placerville just east of Sacramento. Fast Eddy, I'll let everyone know if my "Snoopy" helmet and goggles work.

Bob

Don't tell me when you aren't bombing around in the "T" you are flying a Stearman? BTW, the pic looks like you and your daugther. I'm in Placerville just east of Sacramento.
Bob

OUCH!! ;) No, I just robbed the cradel. she's 3 years younger than I am. Not my Stearman. we took a "ride" at a local air show. It was on my "bucket list". The pilot took us to a remote valley (out of FAA sight) and gave us a RIDE. fantastic time. Only aircraft I pilot myself is a hang glider for the past 19 years.

A semi-lazy Sunday in the shop today. I finished up welding the collectors to the headers and cleaning things up a bit. then fabricated the drag link, and finished the forward stearing arm. It looks like I won't have to bend the stearing box arm for drag link clearance after all, as I ended up with ~ 3/4" clearance at the closest point to the header.
The muffler and tail pipe are just stuck on the collector in this shot to see what it would look like. anyone know of a muffler heat shield for Ts? maybe I could pick up one from a C-2 Vette real cheep and modify it to fit ;)

384919188.jpg

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back