Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Northstar T is taking shape

Russ, You are making great headway... pretty soon you may hear the music of your master work... Building is half the fun, for some it is all the fun.. hehe What time line do you want to be riding?

I belong to the school that says all (most) of the fun is in the building. I truely love the design and fabrication process. driving them is mostly just "proof of concept" stuff.
winkn.gif
. A couple of my cars have become enjoyable drivers to me however, and I'm hopefull this will be one of those. I'm hoping to have the T pretty much finished for the Back to the 50s events here in August.

Russ

Small world. I used to belong to the Northern California Hang Gliding Club and was the dealer for Seagull gliders in Sacramento. 30 years ago I had more flight hours in my Hang Gliding log book than my General Aviation log book. Have not flown for about 20 years. What part of Oregon are you in?

Bob

Small world. I used to belong to the Northern California Hang Gliding Club and was the dealer for Seagull gliders in Sacramento. 30 years ago I had more flight hours in my Hang Gliding log book than my General Aviation log book. Have not flown for about 20 years. What part of Oregon are you in?

Bob

Grants Pass. Woodrat is our "local" site. Geeze, Seagul went out of business.... what.... 20 or 25 years back. you must have been flying with the Wills brothers that long ago. fun stuff!!

Russ

My first glider was a Seagull Standard back in 1977, no battans and elipdecal (sic) leading edge, basically the same glider that Dr. Francis Rogalo flew. Next was a Seagull Seahawk 200. Never flew any real high performance gliders as I was fond of the slow stall speed. However I did get a little tired of other pilots yelling down at me " your glider looks good from up here". This was the same time that little 13 year old Cathy Kanauvo was skying out over all the best pilots. She became the spokesperson for Ball variometers. At 13 she was tiny for her age, maybe 80 lbs soaking wet and her parents would balance her wing and run with her for her launch at Middle Creek Campground near Clear Lake.

If I didn't tend to do everything three times before I was happy with it, I'd be driving this car now. ha ha. yesterday I cut off the rear spring hangers and relocated them an inch further out per side and added one leaf to the spring. lots better angle on the shackles now. At least I've learned over the years to never fully weld anything until the car is ready to pull down for finish work and paint. makes cutting it apart and changing it a lot easier
ah.gif

385197786.jpg

I've mostly been working on brake and fuel plumbing items today, but a big brown truck pulled in today and delivered some skinny wheels and tires, so that's pumped me up a bit. also this morning i took some tubing over to a buddiy of mines muffler/hot rod shop to build some stacks. I ask him to cut them 10", but he cut them 12".... and I think I'll end up taking them down to 8" when the dust settles.

385477308.jpg

Those rims don't look right on there. Being the nice guy I am, I'll take 'em off your hands before someone sees them! What size tires are those? :) Like those headers too.

Ron

just thought of something are you running o2 sensors in headers?

Youngster, thanks for the offer but... naaaa. the tires are 125R-15" Coker/Firestones. most places sell them for around 90 bucks, but go Coker dirrect. there price was 57 each. not bad. and yes, I also LOVE these rims. I got the rears an hour ago also, but I won't show them until I get them mounted tomorrow.
rolleyes.gif

Putz, yes a WB O2 sensor will go in the right side collector.

Russ

Youngster, thanks for the offer but... naaaa. the tires are 125R-15" Coker/Firestones. most places sell them for around 90 bucks, but go Coker dirrect. there price was 57 each. not bad. and yes, I also LOVE these rims. I got the rears an hour ago also, but I won't show them until I get them mounted tomorrow.
rolleyes.gif

Putz, yes a WB O2 sensor will go in the right side collector.

Russ

If it helps I asked Kinsler about the 02 sensors on my set up as i did NOT want them or their wires around my headers. Greg at kinsler told me that the 02 sensors change the mixture by a realy quite small amount and I was that worried about the looks to run without them. They are used for emissions more than anything else. I suppose it depends on what the injection maker tells you?

Now Ill just wait for all the guys out there to tell me I'm wrong.

Gerry

Ok here we go You should have sensors on both banks to get proper fuel /air ratio.With a computer running the system the sensor will tell the motor to richen or lean each side and they will pick up a miss right away and set a check engine light because that side will read rich because of excessive fuel meaning a miss or something else like bad injector. I guess I am rambling but work with efi all the time.

I've mostly been working on brake and fuel plumbing items today, but a big brown truck pulled in today and delivered some skinny wheels and tires, so that's pumped me up a bit. also this morning i took some tubing over to a buddiy of mines muffler/hot rod shop to build some stacks. I ask him to cut them 10", but he cut them 12".... and I think I'll end up taking them down to 8" when the dust settles.

385477308.jpg
I sure do wish that someone had those BOLT ON 12 spoke wheels way back when I needed then, that is sure a lot easier and cheaper to use the type of brakes you like... :) You are making headway...

Where the rubber meets the road. 29-18.5-15 hoosiers

385511177.jpg

on centerline 15" rims. lug nuts didn't come in today or I would have pushed it outside for a better pic. now we'll have to wait a month or so as it's about to become a pile of parts again soon.

385511182.jpg

Ok here we go You should have sensors on both banks to get proper fuel /air ratio.With a computer running the system the sensor will tell the motor to richen or lean each side and they will pick up a miss right away and set a check engine light because that side will read rich because of excessive fuel meaning a miss or something else like bad injector. I guess I am rambling but work with efi all the time.

Uhhhh. no. actually it won't. this isn't a factory system by any streach of the imagination. if it were a factory system it would want to see two O-2 sensors all right, but on this particular system I'm using a Holley Commander CPU, which only needs to see one sensor. In fact it's actually possible to install the one O-2 in a simgle exhaust tube and it would work fine, but I prefer to at least have 4 cylinders to get an average ratio from. I've built 4 of these ITB injection systems for the Northstar over the past couple of years. sold two and have two on cars of my own. they work great.

Gerry UK. The engine will certainly run without an 0-2 sensor, but it will be running in "limp home mode" as it has no 0-2 information to tell it what conditions to adjust to. The limp home mode is a pre-set group of setting that give an engine enough information to run without damaging itself, but it won't be getting near optimum power, economy etc.

Russ

Russ

The rubber looks good but will it fit out the door? Don't laugh ... a guy here was 2 1/2" to wide to get out of his garage!! Had to take a tire off ... :) Told him not to use that Fairlane rearend ..........

Ron

Russ,

You sure are the right guy to be taking on a Northstar transplant. I'm typing blind as my computer here at the vacation place is not showing any words the the box. You are going to have a very unique ride with those wheels, tires Northstar manual tranny. I'll be back in NorCal in a couple weeks and stay till summer, looking forward to seeing you and your ride. Also lookking forward to seeing what I just typed, don't laugh, this is a blind operation till I find out what is differant here.

Bob

I sure do wish that someone had those BOLT ON 12 spoke wheels way back when I needed then, that is sure a lot easier and cheaper to use the type of brakes you like...
ab.gif
You are making headway...

Ted,

Yup. I've always liked the gasser style wheel also, so I was really happy to hear they were available stud mount now. I was concerned about hub clearance with them however, as I've heard reports of people having to maching the hubs on some combinations to clear the wheels center hole, but what I have will work fine. 54 Chev front drums, so I'll have plenty of whoooo, to go along with the go. 56 Chev drums in the rear.

Youngster,
Haaa. oh ye of little faith. I just measured and have tons of room to get out the garage door. pert near 2 inches on each side in fact.
hooray.gif

Bob,

looking forward to seeing your bomb as well. been in the 60s here lately, and rising daily.
BTW: cut and paste!!

Russ

Uhhhh. no. actually it won't. this isn't a factory system by any streach of the imagination. if it were a factory system it would want to see two O-2 sensors all right, but on this particular system I'm using a Holley Commander CPU, which only needs to see one sensor. In fact it's actually possible to install the one O-2 in a simgle exhaust tube and it would work fine, but I prefer to at least have 4 cylinders to get an average ratio from. I've built 4 of these ITB injection systems for the Northstar over the past couple of years. sold two and have two on cars of my own. they work great.

Gerry UK. The engine will certainly run without an 0-2 sensor, but it will be running in "limp home mode" as it has no 0-2 information to tell it what conditions to adjust to. The limp home mode is a pre-set group of setting that give an engine enough information to run without damaging itself, but it won't be getting near optimum power, economy etc.

Russ

Russ

Russ.
My ecu is over 15 years old and is not a sequential fire system It fires in pairs. There is no limp mode on it. I can only assume that Greg at Kinslers knows what he is talking about but I will check with him again. As you say one 02 sensor in one pipe of an 8 pipe system is not really that good at averaging.
Gerry

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back