Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Northstar T is taking shape

She is looking great Russ. :)

Nice progress I like the steering wheel classic.

Yup. thanks! even though the mechanicals are modern, I'm trying to make it in a "traditional" style. you just can not improve on the classic 60s bucket T look IMHO.

Russ

Am I the only one who hates sanding?? no, I didn't think so. Well I've had my share of it this weekend (3 days). Started off Friday by filling pits and low areas, and then sanding the entire body with 150 to work down any goobers. Saturday began as a continuation of Friday,

391121829.jpg

and ended by shooting two coats of Epoxy primer.

391121827.jpg

Sunday morning the primer was dry enough to sand, so the wife and I attacked it with 600 grit and flex blocks. she was a real trooper today, and really helped me out, cause she knows how much I hate the sanding stuff. I'm a lucky lucky man to have her !! So we got the primer blocked down by 3:00 or so, and I started filling pinholes and chips that were missed the first go around. not too bad actually.

391121825.jpg

then after dinner I spotted in the areas that were sanded through the primer.

391121822.jpg

I would have layed down another full coat, but I ran out of primer. sometime during the week I'll shoot a full coat of sealer on, and then..........

Next weekend I expect to be seeing colors. and not just from the fumes. Yaaaaaaaayyy.

Russ

Great progress must have a winner of a wife also.

Attachments

• model a 010.jpg
    model a 010.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 61
Taking on a nice look, the darker color changes the size a lot... Sure hope you don't want to make any big changes seeings how you have paint before driving... :) You are making great headway, looks like you may have forgotten a place for your left foot to rest while running the freeways? Just me here...

Yup. she's my sweety. :dance:

Russ

if your wife (by the way whats here name) ever want to come to the UK (you can tag along as well) I have a few days of cherrying to do on the Fads body. Sounds like she knows how to prep otherwise you would nt have let her help.
And yes she is a 'sweety' They put up with loads of crap when we have a problem but still help out when we need it. Mine struggles to help me off with the body and then just shrugs it off.
Gerry

if your wife (by the way whats here name) ever want to come to the UK (you can tag along as well) I have a few days of cherrying to do on the Fads body. Sounds like she knows how to prep otherwise you would nt have let her help.
And yes she is a 'sweety' They put up with loads of crap when we have a problem but still help out when we need it. Mine struggles to help me off with the body and then just shrugs it off.
Gerry

My wifes name is Jennifer. she'd like nothing better than to go to England. she's even likes Monte python :rolleyes: (way to strange for me however).
I'd pretty much sworn off on women, and was single for 12 years or so when Jennifer and I got together 4+ years ago. I'd actually known her for about 10 years and one day the bolt of lightning just hit us I guess.

Ted.. I'm anxious to get some photos of the finished footwell to show you "naysayers" that three pedals really can work in a T bucket,..... with the proper planning. :snoot:

Russ

Russ,

One thing you and Jennifer will not see in the UK that has marred our country is grafetti. The only place I saw it was at the border between England and Scotland, and that wasn't gangs tagging, just folks having an other than desirable view of their neighbors.

Bob

I have a very good friend who claims his wife is the most valuable tool in his collection. Now how can you improve on that statement?

Ron

This is, without a doubt, the most interesting color I've ever painted a car. No matter what color you tell people it is, that discription really doesn't give them an accurate picture. It's equally frustrating trying to take an accurate photo, as the flash tends to trick you as well. for example, this shot might be fairly accurate on a mostly sunny day:

391284460.jpg

Wile this one could be in a lighted showroom:

391284463.jpg

super bright conditions would show up more like this:

391284691.jpg

It's sure gona be fun to see this thing back together again. I really don't mind painting a car before it's "tested", because I do my own painting anyway. not a big deal for me to re-do if needed. I'll have some work to do before the body goes back on, as I did get several runs, drips, and errors in the clear. I picked a really poor day to be shooting in my poor many paint booth, as it was cloudy and windy much of the day so my plastic "walls" were flapping around, and throwing up dust etc. plus the lighting conditions really sucked. oh well, overall I'm still very happy with the results, given that I only paint a car every couple of years. if that. besides, if you aren't getting any runs in your clear, you didn't spray enough on yet :rolleyes:

Russ

Haa. here's a shot without using any flash at all (cloudy day as well). the only green you see is the reflection of my ladder in the tailgate.
391285227.jpg

Russ

Russ, That reminds me of a time I painted my T a Cad color, Chesterfield Brown, that color was really Beautiful on the Cad, because that body had a big flat hood and deck lid to reflect all the metallic Gold in the paint, but as it turned out, it looked like crap on my body as it did not have a reflective surface anywhere except the small cowl section, just looked like a sh!t bringle Brown most of the time, but it sure was funny watching a ton of guys painting their cars that same color that year... Monkey see, Monkey do... hehe That color almost looks like 56 Ford Forest Green, a really great color... You will be riding before long... :)

I tried midnight bronze on a T once. Same result as Ted. It looked like a fugitive for the outhouse.

Ron

... It looked like a fugitive for the outhouse...

That's funny. :)

I never liked green on a car until I painted one dark forest green metallic, about 30 years ago or so. That is a classy color in my opinion.

And so is the color on your T. Very very nice.

Russ, That reminds me of a time I painted my T a Cad color, Chesterfield Brown, that color was really Beautiful on the Cad, because that body had a big flat hood and deck lid to reflect all the metallic Gold in the paint, but as it turned out, it looked like crap on my body as it did not have a reflective surface anywhere except the small cowl section, just looked like a sh!t bringle Brown most of the time, but it sure was funny watching a ton of guys painting their cars that same color that year... Monkey see, Monkey do... hehe That color almost looks like 56 Ford Forest Green, a really great color... You will be riding before long... :)

Anyone who has painted a car themselves will have to admit that somewhere along the line they screwed one up really bad. when I was in high school I painted my 56 Chevy a medium blue with tons of metalic in it. well it had some kind of reaction and crinkled up like wrinkle paint. I went cruinsin that Friday night anyway, and several peple drove along side and said "wow! is that the metalflake paint I've been hearing about down in California". I figured if it fooled them at 20 feet then what the heck..... I sprayed on about 2 gallons of clear a couple weeks later, and then sanded the behosel out of it, buffed it out, and never did make the confession.
And that's how I invented the metalflake craze. :rofl:

Russ

So it's YOU we have to thank for that effect. Cool!

I painted for 10 years in the 70s and 80s. Everything from tractors to school buses to Porsches.
You can bet that I had my share of "mistakes".
The main thing I learned is to never point the mistakes out!

This thing may actually be a hot rod some day.

391353994.jpg

391353983.jpg

And the most accurate representation of the color I've managed to photograph yet. this is very very close to the real deal.

391353992.jpg

Got er all wired up today and running again..... well sorta. the fuel presure regulator seems to be stuck and making it run WAY rich. I gassed myself right out of the shop when I fired it up today. sure sounds mean however :rolleyes:

Always forward but never straight,
Russ

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back