Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Northstar T is taking shape

[media]

Oh the sound of music you need to put the link in the media spot not link Ok

Thanks Putz!! It took me a wile to find that, but I think I see now what you're refering to as the "media spot" on the right end of the menu bar. I'll try that on the next vid when it's rolling down the road with a body on it.

:)

Russ

lets see if the video bug has been exterminated yet.
Russ

http://www.youtube.c...http://www.youtube.com:80/watch?v=qxPePpIohSE

Cccooooollll!!!!!!!!!
ct.gif

We spent most of the weekend out of town, so not much to report on the T today. I did
manage to glass in the sides of the body upon our return however.
For some reason the p.o. of this body had cut a pie shape piece off of the lower edge.
It was even with the bottom of the floor in front, and about 2 1/2"
in the rear. I screwed some thin aluminum onto the sides and used that to lay up five
or six layers of mat and resin. the resin doesn't stick to aluminum, so it will pop
right off once the resin cures.

387561757.jpg

I want to get this glass layed up and curing, as next weekend I hope to set the body on
the frame and make templates to fabricate the fuel tank. It would certainly be easier
to just order one from Ron, but I'm envisioning a rather unusual shape to maximise
the capacity, as well as forming a "sump" to get the last drop, and a couple baffles
to slow the slosh factor (plus I just like building stuff myself anyway).
hopefully he'll still sell me a filler assy as his setup sounds kind of trick. [thinking
to self] I wonder if he also sells the OEM type twist ring setup to install a sender
unit and the pickup/return lines into? huummm.

Russ

Popped the forms off this eve and did a rough trim job. looks good, and conforms excellent
to the body curves. should be very easy to do the finish body work.

387566687.jpg

Isn't fiberglass fun to work with got my body back in one piece should be back on the road in about a week minus interior being done.Can do interior in winter.

Popped the forms off this eve and did a rough trim job. looks good, and conforms excellent
to the body curves. should be very easy to do the finish body work.

387566687.jpg

Can you guys tell me why you always seem to use wood as a floor? I used it to form a surface to mold in the floor in glass. Just wondering.
Floor-Oct-09-(23).jpg

Gerry

Can you guys tell me why you always seem to use wood as a floor? I used it to form a surface to mold in the floor in glass. Just wondering.
[attachment=4227:Floor-Oct-09-(23).jpg]

Gerry

wood makes a solid base to build on. easy to make. inexpensive..... and because the old man down the street said that's how he did it "back in the day" :) .

Putz,
except for the fumes and dust, I actually enjoy working with fiberglass. it's such an easy and forgiving media to work with. if you screw up you just add more and cut to suit.

Russ

Gerry, Plywood is so easy to work with, cut holes here and there as needed, plus it is easy to screw anything that needs mounting, like a shifter or seat risers or?? I see most have not cut the back hole where the third member is going to hit the floor, going over big dips... :)

Gerry, Plywood is so easy to work with, cut holes here and there as needed, plus it is easy to screw anything that needs mounting, like a shifter or seat risers or?? I see most have not cut the back hole where the third member is going to hit the floor, going over big dips... :)

Ted
I dont want anything I use or am restrained by screwed to wood. Everything on mine is to the chassis. that way I know its metal Im relying on not wood. Just my own opinion.
Gerry

Ted
I dont want anything I use or am restrained by screwed to wood. Everything on mine is to the chassis. that way I know its metal Im relying on not wood. Just my own opinion.
Gerry
Well if you call a shifter or seat risers, inspection plates, something important (my bucket seats just sit in place, can lift them right out with 2 people) that either a few good wood screws or bolts with big washers will not hold, especially when they are not under any type of pressure, I know I would never use a seat belt in a T Bucket, if it were to decide to put the shinny side down, I want out of there... Now if you have a roll bar, that is a different story...:)

This woodwork is a very tedious project. tons of fit and test, fit and test. I do have the angles and seat height set to my liking however, so that's a big plus. still more to go, but a good start me thinks.
387947438.jpg

Russ

I also got the fuel tank pretty much finished. still need to get a filler and am waiting for the guage sender (and gauges) to show up, but otherwise...... This is the bottom of the tank, and shows the "sump" I incorporated to not only add a guart or two of capacity , but more importantly it will allow every bit of fuel in the tank to be used. with a totally flat bottom tank, I figure a gallon or so would be needed just to keep the pick up covered.
387947640.jpg

Russ

I haven't posted for a wile on this project, but rest assured I'm not dead yet. Just a severe case of creative funk. I purchased some really cool lights to make my tail lights out of but now can't decide just how I want to utilize them. I did (I hope) solve another of my dilemas the other day however. I had a T windshield frame, compleat with safety glass, that I had planned to use, but discovered it was too wide for my body. I really didn't want to cut up an original frame, so I finally found a guy that is making me a new frame from 3/4" aluminum bar stock with the groove milled in etc. made to my specs, so hopefully it will work out :rolleyes: .
got the wood mostly cut out now, but not all installed yet. I took last weekend off from the project, so maybe that's the shot I needed to get my groove back.

Russ

388584027.jpg

Nice work sometimes you just have to walk away and think without working on it. Sometimes the ideas come better this way.

It's been a wile since I've posted, but work has been slowly going on with the T. The wife is out of town for most of the weekend, so more than usual should be accomplished this weekend in fact :jawdrop: .

I set up a piece of plywood to simulate a portion of the floor, along with it's wire exit opening etc., to make it easier to lay out where everything was going to fit the best. the body is back on now, and all the wiring except for the under dash stuff is now done, but the wife took my camera with her, so this is the latest pic I have however.

389570872.jpg

I had a very vivid mental image of what I wanted in the way of tail lights, but for the past several weeks I was unable to actually make them materialize. slowly but surely I've gathered all the bits needed to accomplish my goal however, and I'm pretty stoked about getting that behind me and moving on. what I envisioned was a look similar to the late 60's GTO tail lights. for the lens I found a set of new 70s GM side marrker lights that were just the right size for my T tail light application, but of course they were set up with a very small single element bulb which was totally unsuitable for tail/turn/brake lights. I did, however, have a set of old trailer lights that were willing to give there all to the cause. by cutting the mid section out of the trailer light lense and cutting out most of the back of the marker lights, I was able to graft the two together to come up with a very workable set of light assemblies that have just the look I was after. I'll cut openings in each side of the tailgate to allow only the lens portion to show through, and become flush with the tailgate surface. wala!

389570875.jpg

moving...... forward....... slowly,

Russ

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back