Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

The T in my head, thoughts?

Started dissembling the donor car. Having the transmission, clutch, driveshaft & other misc hardware feels like I've almost got my new project T half done....Yeah right.

Well . . . at least you have a good start. Building your 'Frankenstein' by starting with the heart, lungs & spine is a good plan! :rolleyes::D

Thanks for showing how you measured for the belt. I would never of thought of using my wife tape and she has many to choose from. Even an old guy like me can learn something new. I think I'll sneak one out of the house and put it in the garage for future use. Keep posting picks like what I see so far.

Jaguar rear end acquired, a bit of clean up & reseal required. It was already out of it's cage and has the lower control arm tie bars. Does anyone know how to ID these rear ends? Rough measuring hub to hub with the axles at rest I measure 60"

I can try to help but no expert so others may want to chime in.

Jag rear ends came in 3 widths over the years (approx. 53", 55" and 61.75"). Yours is likely XJ6 Sedan type at 61.75" with half shafts horizontal. 55" considered the most desirable but XJ6 can be used, as is, half shafts and lower control arms interchanged, or even narrowed. Mine is XJ6 narrowed to 57"

2 types of XJ6 rears, Salisbury and Dana. Salisbury has round pinion flange, non flat body and drain plug. Dana has flat bottom, no drain plug and square flange. Yours appears to have round flange so likely Salisbury.

Ratio should be on one of two tags under rear end cover bolts. Ratio is given either as a number or the teeth numbers on pinion and crown wheel like 19/70 is 19 divided by 70 or 3.33 to 1.

You can check for BPL (British Posi Lock) by holding one wheel and spinning the other. BPL will try to spin the held wheel in the same direction. Otherwise, non posi.

Jerry

Last edited:
Ooops, response above has gear ratio calculation error but posted too long ago to edit. Should have said something like 46/13 which would be 3.54. Not sure where I got the posted numbers or what I did to get 3.33. Oh well!

Jerry

Last edited:
Found the tooth count ID tag

Also verified by turning pinion and counting, it is indeed a 3.31:1 ratio open diff. I'm not disappointed by the open diff, one would think it makes life easier with a huge rear tire, skinny front tire and minimal vehicle weight
I was also pleasantly surprised to see that my BMW 5x120mm wheels bolt down to the 5x4.75 jag hubs enough to have a set of rollers while working on the car. I have two sets of BMW wheels, they are not a mainstay.

I'm not disappointed by the open diff, one would think it makes life easier with a huge rear tire, skinny front tire and minimal vehicle weight

Good call. "snow ploughing" is not fun.

Make sure all is well with the diff. They are EXPENSIVE to rebuild.

Reproduction '32 Ford grill, cheaply made yet not cheap to purchase. But now I can guilt free cut it up to work in the application

Thats my way of thinking too.
No need to reinvent the wheel just need to modify it to work for me.

Looks great.

Acquiring quite the collection & pile of parts:

Had an opportunity this weekend to clean up, degrease and paint the rear end.

Looks promising! OK . . . confess: did you sit in it and make 'vroom-vroom' noises???:rolleyes::D

That sure is purdy!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back