Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

The T in my head, thoughts?

I'm sure you want to have room to sit IN the car , with the engine/ trans sitting that high in the chassis , you'll severely limit your interior space. ..

Reactions: RPM
....Where did those headers come from? Are they for a turbo?

The headers are original BMW from their S65 V8 found in the late model M3. I assume due to the twists and turns in the pipes the engineers were going for an equal length design. The cylinder spacing is perfect for the early v8's and even the flanges are the correct design if they were clocked correctly, but they aren't. I have them flipped upside down for a side exit angle

Interesting build. I'm looking forward to updates.

....with the engine/ trans sitting that high in the chassis you'll severely limit your interior space. ..

I hear ya, it really is a large transmission assembly. I also want to keep the trans output flange level with differential input flange. The BMW automatic trans for the era isn't any more compact, plus I'd hate to sacrifice the manual. Mounting the engine high up will help maintain the "Big engine" look but I'm not opposed to sinking it some into the rails.

You'd be better served to have a degree or two operating angle in your u joints , they'll last longer ..
Form follows function supersedes " the look " IMO ..

Last edited:
Is the trans a 6 or 8 speed? Either way the electronics in them may give you some headaches unless you have skills in that area...

I was too late to edit the post to say...

unless its a manual. Have fun finding enough room for all 3 peddles.

I think you need to get that engine a little lower in the chassis. If not, you're going to have a bit of a problem aligning the trans output shaft with the rear end.
That is a gigantic transmission.

I also want to keep the trans output flange level with differential input flange.
I had over 100K miles on a lifted truck that had a driveshaft angle of probably 15 degrees down and 5-10 degrees to the right. It saw plenty of highway miles as well as off-road activity, never changed U-joints. I think I would worry more about how to make everything fit rather than trans / rear end heights or angles, they won't be that far off. Just my .02.

I hear what you guys are saying about being able to point driveshaft upwards at diff in order to have lower drivetrain, I'll experiment with that soon. I also need to overcome another driveshaft obstacle. The flex coupler at the trans tailshaft is designed for zero deflection, no driveshaft angle at all. The jag rear has an offset pinion meaning driveshaft will point to the right. I'll need to find a U-joint conversion flange to work at the tail of the BMW trans

G'Day Mykk,
You may well find that a solid flange off an earlier BMW Trans will slide right on the splines, Manufacturers don't change engineering items too much over the years apart form cosmetic stuff I've found.
Regards,

I would guess that the vibration being mounted to the axle would render the lights very difficult to use ( depending on how long the bulbs last ) !!

I like it, Buick did something kinda similar when they added marker lights that came on
when making a turn.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back