Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

"Black Dahlia"

Now I know what happened to my pole climber boot tops. Those are pretty good looking covers. I think it beats the heat shrink that I have seen on some. Good find, Fred.

Ya know, it's really just one of those little things that can separate a car from the herd. I liked the look and the original intended function. I have Posie's sliders in my spring, so I really don't even need this, but it's unique and cool in it's marriage of form and function. Plus, the guys an American artisan, working in leather. Needless to say, I'll be ditching my spring clamps.

Hot Rod Leather Home page

Call him up and tell him what you need. He's really cool to talk to.

Well, I had to work yesterday, Memorial Day (double time bonus), so I had today off. Got bored and decided to knock the edges off my wishbone brackets. I used a file, so I could have better control and I wasn't in a hurry. Here they are with an unfinished one.

full

full

Hard to tell due to pic clarity. But I can feel it and the paint will stick better. With any luck, I'll be tacking these on in a few weeks. Man, if I could get a day off and a MIG welder, I could really go to town on my chassis.

Looked at them again and I'll file a little more. On another thought, I've decided on using a S10 rear, instead of the 9" Ford. Cost being the major point. Purpose being the other. I wanted and needed a very stout rearend for the high HP engine I had planned on using. But, as time went on, I found myself thinking, why do you need that much HP? Bragging rights? My last engine was between 350 and 400 hp and I had a blast. Almost hurt myself a couple times. That engine had a slightly modified 350th and a S10 rearend behind it. I cruised all day long and whipped ass on a few new Camaros and Mustangs. I don't even count Hondas. Power to weight in these cars is crazy sweet. No need to go crazy. I'll still put money away for a 9", but it won't be as much and it won't go in this version of Dahlia.

I've found a rearend at a yard near me. I'll clean it up, weld on the brackets from Ron's kit and start finishing up the frontend. My goal is a roller by summers end. So far, so good.

Called my engine guy and he's on point with my new plan. He has is my cleaned up block, awaiting further instructions.

I know what ya mean by High Horse dreams fading to reality.
Originally I wanted to build a 450 HP engine, now I am going the nostalgic rout 283 or maybe 301 build with all the old period 60's stuff.
Might make 350 HP but not worried about the HP number I just like the old cool stuff and I know it will be crazy fast even with 300 HP.

Or an electric power file, cheap and really effective. Most used tool I have. Great at cleaning up the edges and the end with its tight radius around the roller is perfect for the curves.

Fred: Try to find someone with a stonetumbler for all of those parts. Works great.

Normally, I would have just taken a grinder to them. But when I was 1 semester away from graduating my welding school, I found myself needing another credit. So, I took an intro to Machining. The first project was to make a tool, but we couldn't use any machines. All we could use were hand tools. Hand saw, drill and a file. All hand operated. The lesson was to learn an appreciation for technology. So, I'd sit, while watching the TV and file and emery board away.

Using the file on these pieces reminded me of that. So, I tossed on some "Pink Floyd- Dark Side of the Room" and filed away. A chore became a pleasure.

Chopped, some how, I knew you'd get it.

full

Yer welcome.

Excellent!

My "go to" live PF is the 1994 Earls Court concert

Cool! Back to Buckets.

So, today I was off and ran some errands. I ran into a friend and we got to talking about my build. He was glad I was doing another one and he asked me if I was going to put a door in this one. I said, "Yup" and gave my reasons. Ease of entry being the main thing. But on the way home, I got to thinking and I know where that leads.

So, when I got home, I looked at T's with doors and those without. I have long legs, so getting in my other car was only a problem, when I was in a hurry or not paying attention. But on an average day, my foot would kinda grab the edge of the body, just a little. Not a real worry, but it did happen. I REALLY like CCR's stretch body with the door and it looked even cooler, when I saw Pauls. But, would I even use it? On one hand, a doorless T Bucket has a smoother look, IMO. There's the structural integrity issue, but CCR seems to have handled that very well. My only issue with the bracing they install is it would kinda limit my seating to a bench and I was planning on perhaps using Bomber seats. Hmm.......

Just seating and door thoughts on another rainy day.

Bomber seats would be very uncomfortable mounted to the floor w/no angle IMO , can't see why you can't use the CCR frame as part of your seat mounting ...
dave

Bomber seats would be very uncomfortable mounted to the floor w/no angle IMO , can't see why you can't use the CCR frame as part of your seat mounting ...
dave

I didn't say I'd bolt them to the floor. It would be uncomfortable, like you said. I'd make a set of brackets or a riser for them. The front bar of CCR's bracket is roughly 4-5" high, if I went that route, I'd make a base for a bench, as I stated. But, it may end up higher off the floor than I had planned. I'd rather have Bomber seats, but I'm not committed to them. And the Bomber seats I've got in mind have a 20* angle in the back. They are also padded.

Okay, here's the deal. I use this thread as a journal and a build thread. When I get an idea or random thought, I post it here. It doesn't mean I'm committed to it. This is just an easy way for me to chronicle my ideas.

Do you have enough room to put the braces under the floor? How about bolting the braces to the side of the frame under the floor?

You can make or modify the brace. I think it's a must for structural integrity, especially with a door. I made my braces before I knew anyone even offered them, but I made them so they fit the curve of the tub and are intended to be bonded to it, encased in glass to be invisible. I don't see why you couldn't do something similar to work your bomber seats into the build. I initially planned on using them in mine. I chose to modify a minivan seat that will be custom apholstered in leather because I liked the option of being able to shuffle around and not be committed to one seated position. It's due to a severe back injury that I live with. I won't burden you with details about that. You could make the brace so it fits in behind the jamb, and make the riser any height you choose for the bomber seats. I had to have a bit of a rise to help with fitting the controls, etc. because with a standard tub and long legs, the clutch pedal wasnt going to workout...with a stretched body, you will have more options as far as how high it needs to be.

Its kinda funny. First T had a passenger door, now none. Yep its a PIA getting in especially over the pipes but to me, its worth the effort. Door, or no door, so long as it's a T it works for me.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back